• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

H Cup Semi Final: ASM Clermont v Munster

Nalaga vs Earls and Siviatu vs Zebo will be...interesting.

Zebo got outshone by Gilroy in last season's Heineken Cup knockout rounds. Smart decision to play Earls at wing, it seemed that Kidney had basically decided that Earls would be BOD's successor. But I don't rate him too highly as a 13, whilst he's a decent wing if not world beating, he'll at least be a decent finisher.

Add to that, them signing Laulala has looked strange this season considering they have been backing Earls at 13, which has meant Laulala has been spending much time on the bench or in his less preferred 12 position where he hasn't really shone. Which makes him an odd use of NIQ spot if they weren't going to back him as a first choice starter.

Just for future reference by the way know the facts the "home team" which Munster have won the toss to be get to decide them if there is any hint of clash. So thats "what on earth" it'd have to do but it ok didn't expect you to know much ;)

Their kit doesn't clash so it's hardly relevant though.

Firstly, Rog is a weak tackler as has been mentioned on here. While it has been argued that Muster have been able to compensate for this in the past, it came at a rather heavy price. In my opinion the performances of David Wallace were seriously curtailed by having to essentially babysit the 10 channel.

Indeed. Look at this GIF ans see who is there to save the day for Munster trying to cover across to cover for ROG's tackling. He didn't get there in time on this occaision to stop ROG being embarrassed, but he stopped Contepomi making an even bigger line break.

diapo58223e96d4c4d184e760f39942f60132.gif

This is what Wallace was capable of when ROG wasn't playing ...

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DfJvsJzKW8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
On Clermont's side:

1.Domingo, 2.Kayser, 3.Zirakashvili, 4.Cudmore, 5.Hines, 6.Bonnaire©, 7.Bardy, 8.Chouly, 9.Parra, 10.James, 11.Nalaga, 12.Fofana, 13.King, 14.Sivivatu, 15.Byrne.

Remplaçants : 16.Paulo, 17.Debaty, 18.Ric, 19.Pierre, 20.Lapandry, 21.Radosavljevic, 22.Buttin, 23.Nakaitaci ou Skrela.

Duck how did Zebo get outdone by Gilroy when neither did anything bar Gilroys try and he was against Hurley when on same day Zebo was applauded for excellent fielding. And home team choose kit if the tv has issue which they must. Also you try to slate ROG for poor defense etc and ok you hate guy but you like broken record. Nobody is saying he can tackle and he's no different than your gif of 5 years ago. Like what point are you actually trying to make. Maybe say it instead of saying same thing on all threads over and over. And Laulala has played 12 once this season and only appeared as 3 times as winger off bench like please at least try look up stuff 1st and Laulala was never guaranteed spot and was off form now he's on form he retained so what the issue?

Last edited:
Duck how did Zebo get outdone by Gilroy when neither did anything bar Gilroys try and he was against Hurley when on same day Zebo was applauded for excellent fielding.

Zebo missed the tackle on Gilroy after Gilroy outpaced Hurley.

And home team choose kit if the tv has issue which they must. Also you try to slate ROG for poor defense etc and ok you hate guy but you like broken record. Nobody is saying he can tackle and he's no different than your gif of 5 years ago. Like what point are you actually trying to make. Maybe say it instead of saying same thing on all threads over and over.

The point is that is will hamper the pack's efforts to challenge Clermont. And Clermont in particular are a side that can be very dangerous to have defensive liabilities against as they have some very hard runners in their team.

Add to the fact that ROG's passing game is not really up to the level required and it's hard to really see Munster challenging Clermont too hard in the backline also. If Munster had a better fly half in their backline against Quins they would have converted their pressure into some tries.

Regarding the kit, where is the clash?

images
images

And Laulala has played 12 once this season and only appeared as 3 times as winger off bench like please at least try look up stuff 1st and Laulala was never guaranteed spot and was off form now he's on form he retained so what the issue?

That's why it was an odd signing. Why sign an relatively expensive NIQ player when you already backed Earls as your 13? Hence why Laulala has spent most of the season on the bench. Would have made more sense to use the funds on another position than outside centre if they were going to back Earls to be their 13.

Well Laulala 1 of cheapest NIQs ever at Munster hence signing and people saying we were low on funds.
The pack have always had the same scenario regardless of playing Clermont or Zebre so no preparations or game tactic hampered there. If anything they so used to it that doesn't really make a difference.
And Zebo missed tackle tearing across from other wing with both players at speed and Gilroy sidestepped. Hardly a sign of being out done in a match now is it? But I guess when you just watch highlights and not games you just have to presume maybe is it?
Also you kno Casey has started 80% of games he's played here? Just asking what's not alot of time on bench to you?

oh yea regarding kit Clermont wanted yellow kit but again didn't think you'd know that

Last edited:
Vosloo as well as Rougerie out.............Vosloo has been superb this season and his loss definitely weakens the back row of ASM.......................!

very, very disappointed in both losses......especially Rougerie. Both bring POWER at their respective positions.
Can you imagine if Fofana goes for another one of those evading-15-tackles-in-a-row tries in the opening 30seconds ?! :lol:

Well Laulala 1 of cheapest NIQs ever at Munster hence signing and people saying we were low on funds.

Well reports suggest you outbid an offer from the Cardiff Blues and Japan for him, he had a good reputation and reached the Pro12 Dream Team with the Blues had an international status and is pretty well known. He can't of been that cheap. Mafi, Tipoki, Halstead all had much less reputations and previous form when they joined Munster and I would assume were cheaper than Laulala.

The pack have always had the same scenario regardless of playing Clermont or Zebre so no preparations or game tactic hampered there. If anything they so used to it that doesn't really make a difference.

Don't tell me having a doormat in defence you need to protect makes no difference. It's not ideal, and anyway, outside of defence, ROG's passing game has been very much hampering the attack lately and will make defending much easier for Clermont. So Clermont will likely see him as a weak link and not worry about him unless there is a last minute drop goal to be had (which is unlikely).

And Zebo missed tackle tearing across from other wing with both players at speed and Gilroy sidestepped. Hardly a sign of being out done in a match now is it? But I guess when you just watch highlights and not games you just have to presume maybe is it?

Zebo didn't do much in that game. I didn't say he had a god-awful game, just Gilroy outshone him with that try and had the better match.

oh yea regarding kit Clermont wanted yellow kit but again didn't think you'd know that

Clermont played in their white kit against Leinster in the semi final last year. But anyway if they did want to wear yellow I have no idea why an earth Munster could elect for them not to. There is no clash and they have even played together before in these colours.

image.jpg

very, very disappointed in both losses......especially Rougerie. Both bring POWER at their respective positions.

King is better than Rougerie. He gets more out of the rest of the backs with his passing than Rougerie who just runs himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bet looks nicer now :p
Tony should I pack shorts or wetsuit? Weather reports saying rain will be bad there

Wetsuits...............light to heavy rain forecast for next n number of days......this after 30+ this week!!

Duck again scoring a try doesn't mean you outshine anyone like.
Having a doormat in defense if that is what you want to call ROG doesn't make a difference if it same every game and team know no better.
And I beginning to see you don't watch much rugby and read reports of papers alot but don't believe all you hear

Also been on a Pro12 Dream Team means nothing and Mafi and Tipoki were on more than Laulaa by a long way. Tipoki had a great reputation in New Zealand but behaviour off field was his downfall there.

Also been on a Pro12 Dream Team means nothing and Mafi and Tipoki were on more than Laulaa by a long way. Tipoki had a great reputation in New Zealand but behaviour off field was his downfall there.

Tipoki had little reputation outside New Zealand and Mafi wasn't even a regular starter at Super Rugby level when they signed for Munster. I find it hard to believe that they would be on much more than Laulala who has a bigger reputation in Europe and New Zealand where he was capped and thus could demand more wages. Plus the competition form the Cardiff Blues and Japan to sign him could have driven the price up.

Well I know figures as fact and again reputation doesn't pay wages and Blues had no money basically so not really an option and Japan can outbid Munster easily they've done it before so wouldn't believe it and again being a starter in Super Rugby doesn't mean anything. Add in a capped player is only really rated with multiple caps. Ian Keatley for example would hardly be big money signing in France. Again don't believe all you read.

overcast this morning in Montpellier rain is forcast but a bit of wind could get rid of that, was at the stadium yesterday pitch in perfect condition for playing rugby. full house which is more than be said for Twickers!!!!!!!

If munster were on the other side of the draw I would be backing munter to win the most boring profesional rugby game ever, but I see clermont as a step to far and it's hard to see past them in any way for he HC.

Way weather is here yoe91 it'll more likely be a forwards game.

mmmyeah thought about that...it's still raining abnormally down south for the time of year apparently.
But surely with Clermont, some try(ies) must be scored !!

Clermont by 20+

That is surely the differenc between the teams on paper but this is a one off match and the H Cup........cannot see Munster's heart allowing for that kind of difference. Tight but ASM - the best in Europe at the moment

Is the internet down in Ireland................have heard nothing from Munster since the start of the match!!

Wonderful handling and off loading and superb defence from Munster but how long can the Munster boys keep it up?

Latest posts