• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Has rugby gaming died a death?

J

jimmy44

on the EA Sports forums there are hints from EA ADMIN that sadly we will not be seeing rugby 2007 any time soon, and in fact 2006 could well be the last in the franchise. I fear that Lox could well be right about this one.

With Codemasters and EA throwing in the towel on rugby union games, is this the end of rugby gaming or will a new pheonix rise from the ashes? If so who are the likely condenders and what kind of game will we see?

Discuss....

Rugby 2006 will keep us going till 2010. It was ten years ago that JLR came out and that game kept us going for a while.

Rugby will be a big enough sport eventually that they will out another ***le somewhere.

JLR CD's were still selling years later. Maybe this is what EA will try and do to get sales by starving the public of anything else.

A damn sight more then the next instalment of the cricket series will be, that's a certainty.

2010! I can't wait that long - I was converted to Rugby gaming in 2004 so I don't know what a possible ten year drought feels like!

No more rugby games? If that is true then that sucks.

But surely with the world cup coming up and EA having already developed a fairly advanced and decent rugby engine releasing even what would be a roster upgrade (with some other minor cosmetic changes) would make sense.

I guess I need to go and look at EA's website and see what is actually there before I get all depressed and stuff.

If EA were to halt their rugby game development it would be a real shame - I think that realisitically they are one or two versions shy of making a truely awesome rugby game.

Rugby 2006 will keep us going till 2010. It was ten years ago that JLR came out and that game kept us going for a while.

Rugby will be a big enough sport eventually that they will out another ***le somewhere.

JLR CD's were still selling years later. Maybe this is what EA will try and do to get sales by starving the public of anything else.
[/b]

Sorry Gay-Guy but I have to disagree with you there. JLR only 'kept us going' because there was no alternative, and to be honest I was bored of the game within 6 months. There is no way that rugby 2006 will keep people interested until 2010, in fact I think you'll find most people are bored with it already, especially single player. Multiplayer has more life in it, but its still like playing the same game over and over.

Well I think people will turn back to Rugby 2006 come world cup fever time because there is no alternative.

JLR had a lot of the fun factor happening which made it so great as you could do quite a lot.

Initially Rugby '06 feels like you learn everything quickly....then it feels like you are repeating yourself over and over again. Thus the boring feel....even on multiplayer after 1000 odd games.

I think we were lucky enough to have discovered some things (and we are still discovering) through diligence and experimentation to be able to make this game a fantastic game. Ways to overcome the flaws the programmers thought were in the game.

The most significant discovery was finding that you can do some "animation cancelling"....a technique first developed in Mangere on the game Kung Fu Masta in the mid 80's. You can confuse the programming and break certain rules (like the matrix lol!) which frees you up a little...and that little bit of freedom changes everything.

I think when it comes to world cup time people will get more into this game indepth and begin to discover all sorts of ways to overcome initial disappointments with the game. Then you will see all sorts of doors open regarding gameplay. Because when me and friends play it there are now so many ways to break through a defence and therefore we have had to learn so many styles of defending....it has become more complicated than JLR could ever have been.....more variety. I never thought I would say that about JLR, a game I used to defend to the days.

The only reason I have not posted up all the stuff on here is because every month we find something new. It honestly amazes me that I realise I cannot see the brick wall yet....that I still feel there is some other stuff to learn. I am also quietly protective with the stuff considering the hours put into trying to develop our gameplay to higher levels and don't want to give it away "cheaply" to the masses who want a quick fix without putting in any effort. I have suffered hours upon hours of countless beatdowns from the "trainer" trying to figure out better strategies to play...it was not very pretty lol! However anyone who wants to see me in person and learn I will show them....I am not totally closed off....I see a "face to face" meeting as showing the person is for real with wanting to improve rather than looking for a quick fix.

I may sound arrogant and aloof. However if you found that you had a huge advantage on a game and you were pretty sure the rest of the world had no idea wouldn't you feel compelled to keep your secrets? Especially after you had spent months on end suffering beat down after beatdown in an effort to try and figure out the mysteries of it?

The bottom line is the way to excellence is simply to put in the hours :cheers:

And there's a group of us who can vouch for the man too...
[/b]
Whatever Dave...you probably have improved from the Tounament and am ready to kick my ass lol! I knew I should have kept my mouth shut....

....but when you come up in 2 weeks I'll show you what the "trainer" had been doing to me for months on end that I only figured out 2 weeks ago....bloody amazing! All this time I never knew too!

Playing Bully the Guru at 6pm today....one of the most naturally talented players I have ever seen at this game. Real struggle playing him even with all my tricks and him knowing.....NONE.

Stole his defensive pattern from him though...really needed it against Spawn at the tournament as my old defensive pattern did not cut it. Thanks Bully :cheers:

hey gay-guy, now you talking bout all these tricks, are they in single player or multiplayer?? coz me and a mate have just started playing multiplayer and we have made up sum very cool moves. multiplayer is by far the way to play this game. We been practicing alot lately, and we think there should be a multiplayer comp!! what ya think?? coz we played a few people ova here in ynui, and have kicked ass. people have just been amazed. but maybe getting a new partner coz my partner at the mo is abit unpredictable, and slow!!

hey nui,
u mean ynui as wainuiomata? wel my cousins are suppose to be holding a comp sometime soon in the city. $10 entry, winner takes all. we have 2 ppl from each crew coming along to see whose technique is superior. kinda like a martial arts comp, steel finger style from the north vs. iron thumb style from the west haha catch my drift?
if your keen i'll giv u my cell number and will txt u wen we hav confirmed a date, we're tongans so we procrastinate alot lol. there's 8 of us confirmed for the tournament at the moment.

where were you guys in the tornament from septober????

we needed more then.
[/b]

yeah i know, sorry dude. me and my cousin from the iron thumb clan were suppose to come but then bloody work called me up and he didn't want to come without me because he's not a member.

yeah well im think im pretty gud,havnt lost a game in a long time, but i wudnt really no, coz we dont play anyone else except mates in ynui(yes wainuiomata). we have a few rules here tho that i honestly think make the game that much more fun. Like:
- no dive tackles at all in the game except when your in your own 20. Defending your line. Gives u more chance of making breaks up field. More fun.
- nd no cartoon steps. you no what i mean. the steps where you just run in circles or ugly ones. just nice change of angles. altho to be honest, when theres no time left, and your 5metres out your gonna trie anything arent you!! which makes for interesting aftermatch functions!!!!

thats all i can think of at the mo. anyone else have rules or woosah what rules did yous play when yous had that tournament??

oh, we play "anything goes". if you lose it's becoz your defence was just plain crap haha and there are ways to counter the dive tackle.
when i'm next in auckland which is the 19th i'm gonna go see gay guy and pick his brain on some new tricks.

alright Gay Guy? where you stay? i'll probably be staying in Otara coz my uncle in the spinal unit there.

oh, we play "anything goes". if you lose it's becoz your defence was just plain crap haha and there are ways to counter the dive tackle.
when i'm next in auckland which is the 19th i'm gonna go see gay guy and pick his brain on some new tricks.

alright Gay Guy? where you stay? i'll probably be staying in Otara coz my uncle in the spinal unit there.
[/b]
Mate...the 19th is when "The Flash"..."Dobrien"....and "Monoturd" will be coming up th Auckland for the BDO. With you there and the left overs of Chiro we could actually arrange a tourney....who knows...maybe even the talented "Bully the Guru" will come (I rate him very highly).....could be good.

I live in Mangere...southside till we die haha! I know where the spinal unit is...next to the Breweries (that was not a joke...tis true!)

If I see you in person then that is worth sharing stuff...you will go back happy!

Bloody Bully the Guru did a "dummy runner" on me last night when we were playing and I went for the dummy runner lol! He didn't even know what he had done lol! Waste of talent he has....gee.....

Latest posts