• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HEC: Munster - Northampton Saints (12-11-2011)

I have never seen anything like that before it was truly amazing!!! The crowd was something out of this world. For all of Munster's faults I don't believe there is any other team in Europe that could do that!!!

Unfortunately again the aftermath seems to focus on the Ref. Wrongly imo, Owens reffed a good game that was always going to be tough to manage, yes he did make a couple of errors but so do everyone. Can we just talk about what was a superb game of rugby and not by reffing errors because after the world cup I am sick to death of that.

Unfortunately again the aftermath seems to focus on the Ref. Wrongly imo, Owens reffed a good game that was always going to be tough to manage, yes he did make a couple of errors but so do everyone. Can we just talk about what was a superb game of rugby and not by reffing errors because after the world cup I am sick to death of that.

I didn't really think much of the reffing (for either side) but in the end you have to play through it. Saints had 40+ chances to steal the ball at the end of the game (I thought we had it after Manoa's hit. Blah) and we didn't. Artemyev ain't going to be happy this week though, had a cracking game but made three gaffes that may have proved the difference.

Well lads will give good review later but absolutely excellent victory and well credit to the lads who are battered and bruised.
Peter O'Mahony was superb for a first start in HEC. And well O'Gara showed while alot of people slam him the man has class and a cool head.

As for Saints, they had our respect a long time ago and well been honest deserved the win and well constantly looked dangerous. They outplayed us the 2nd half in a big way and well it was arguably through a mistake we got field possession and went through phases but we were lucky and alot of work still to do

Man, this was an amazing match to watch. What an outcome in the end. A flashback to last year's Italy-Ireland match immediately jumped to mind. Congrats to all the Munster fans!

You have to feel for Saints fans ..they arguably deserved that game , would have been a huge scalp...but **** me that was typical Munster.

You have to feel for Saints fans ..they arguably deserved that game , would have been a huge scalp...but **** me that was typical Munster.

It shows that even the young kids have this Munster passion!!! O'Mahony was brilliant and Murray had a good game, some of his box kicks are class. Howlett was just typical Howlett, he never lets Munster down. O'Connell led from the front and O'Gara took the pressure on pretty much saved Munster's season.

Howlett really has taken the whole Munster philosophy in his stride I think ...the man plays with the passion like he hurled u-12 for Cork..

Lucky the funny thing is Douggies kid plays hurling and well all the Howletts have adapted to Ireland and love life here even Douggie has been see in the red Cork gaa jersey at games numerous times.

On to game I'll start with some negatives and finish with positives for us.
- Murphy isn't a fullback and well between him and Douggie they were at fault for both tries.
- Our pack are still missing that spark and bite. You need that bit of filth in a pack to rev the rest up, a Quinny or Claw character, Saints had that today and nearly (should've) won.
- Paulie lead well but just seemed to lack that energy of going forward with ball along with others. O'Mahony was only player in pack making good yardage.
- Our backrow is still unbalanced and we got lucky tonight but if it not sorted quick we'll be hurt in a big way.

On positives.
- Botha and Du Preez I thought in the tigh areas were superb and well I don't know if it was noticed on TV but these 2 guys had a big part in putting the skids on alot of Saints mauls.
- The youngsters did their jobs well and stood up.
- The cool heads in those magical 41 phases before the DG, everyone knew their job and I'll single out ROG who got a crap ball from Paulie and knew to take it in instead of attempting the DG and also take it in near the support.
- And well O'Mahony deserves a mention. He was the only forward who started (Leamy and DOC had bite) with the bite and hunger and made some huge hits. Look we know he's no SOB or Ferris but this guy is a good player and had a heart of a lion. Tony made a call to have him captain when World Cup was on and well it's easy to see now why.

Coughlan was quiet tonight. I think he struggles against the big physical packs. Ronan had a mixed game. Mafi was getting nowhere all night. Johne Murphy was ok but not near the class of Foden. Not many 15s are in fairness.

The Munster pack were good except for the scrums. Then again you'd have to wonder what Northampton gets up to there. Axel Foley is making an impact and it was needed tonight.

The back play by Munster was aweful. They looked devoid of ideas as usual and you'd have to question Jason Hollands role in it.

- And well O'Mahony deserves a mention. He was the only forward who started (Leamy and DOC had bite) with the bite and hunger and made some huge hits. Look we know he's no SOB or Ferris but this guy is a good player and had a heart of a lion. Tony made a call to have him captain when World Cup was on and well it's easy to see now why.

It should be himself, SOB and Ferris for the 6 nations. SOB and POM can switch between 7 and 8. Himself and Griffin for Connacht did their Irish selection prospects no harm this weekend.

The Munster backs were non-existent and the only thing that was good from them was their defense. As mentioned previously I am not sure if Jason Holland is the right man to add some spark; never thought he had any spark in the first place. In terms of the tactics from Munster I think they moved away from their strengths. Why did we not just plug the corners all night and drive the line-out? I don't think O'Gara plugged the corners that much compared with what he could have.

In terms of Northampton, they should have won. The experience will help them and I would expect them to reach the semi-finals at least this year.

Major congratulations extended to Nigel Owens. Never once let the happenings of the match get in the way of the script...

Major congratulations extended to Nigel Owens. Never once let the happenings of the match get in the way of the script...
Think your being majorly unfair to Munster here.
Owens missed some calls for both teams not just 1. Second Saints try was a forward pass BEFORE ROG knocked it on. And well there was alot of borderline calls the Saints got that could easily have been given as offside when their defense was at the limit.
And lastly this is fact Saints had a glorious opportunity to put us to the sword and kill the game and well it wasn't Owens but the Russian winger who bottled the chance of simply holding the ball and he was in.
Saints are a good team and have respect but there is no need for this sour grapes and bitterness (not saying this is at you individually Mite) and realize it was a Heineken Cup classic and we won in a game that was 50/50 up until final whistle.
And well on a final point, after rewatching the game, Mallinder commented on Saints dominating the scrum. This was only when Hayes came on and they got 2 pens but every time the Saints tried to maul we stopped them and after 2 stops it should've been our ball but Owens was generous to Saints in giving plenty of time.
Anyways just dissappointed there are some sour grapes , although to be fair any Saints fan here was very gracious in defeat, and people aren't realizing Munster won (lucky as it was) in a classic.

Owens missed some calls for both teams not just 1. Second Saints try was a forward pass BEFORE ROG knocked it on. And well there was alot of borderline calls the Saints got that could easily have been given as offside when their defense was at the limit.
And lastly this is fact Saints had a glorious opportunity to put us to the sword and kill the game and well it wasn't Owens but the Russian winger who bottled the chance of simply holding the ball and he was in.
Saints are a good team and have respect but there is no need for this sour grapes and bitterness (not saying this is at you individually Mite) and realize it was a Heineken Cup classic and we won in a game that was 50/50 up until final whistle.
And well on a final point, after rewatching the game, Mallinder commented on Saints dominating the scrum. This was only when Hayes came on and they got 2 pens but every time the Saints tried to maul we stopped them and after 2 stops it should've been our ball but Owens was generous to Saints in giving plenty of time.
Anyways just dissappointed there are some sour grapes , although to be fair any Saints fan here was very gracious in defeat, and people aren't realizing Munster won (lucky as it was) in a classic.

That sounds far too familiar. Although saying Artemyev bottled it is a bit too harsh, collecting a bobbling ball with that pressure is not easy. Yes, 9/10 times youd think he would collect it and walk over but anyone could have spilled that.

Northampton played the better rugby if you ask me but, as usual, Munster played the more accurate rugby and that told in the end with a very typical Irish snatch and grab. No offence meant but it seems that these sort of results happen in favour of Irish teams over everyone else. Munster and Ulster did it on the same day.

Wrong the pass was going flat then ROG knocked it on, try.

Northampton dominated the scrum all day long and how they got a penalty against them is beyond me, when your going forward you don't wheel. Munster wheeled of to avoid getting destroyed again. I thought the scrum was again very badly reffed, not blaming Owens for this its a commen thing. IMO Northampton should've won, if the ref had a decent game.

But it was great game, classic indeed.

Man, you almost sound like a Springbok supporter after the RWC quarter final ;)

Northampton should have won the match but in the end, Owens didn't cost them. Like MM said, bad decisions went both ways. I still feel Northampton will top the pool. Their performance was more than good. Munster was lucky to win and I don't see them beating Saints again

Don't care about that. Owens had a clear view of the knock on the 21st phase before the DG and ignored it. He ignored the clear knock on before the half-time try. He ignored the off the ball antics prior to the Howlett try. He repeatedly pinged Saints scrum when Munster were smelling their own farts (Bullshit did Munster have parity, they went backwards 5m more then a couple of times and spent the afternoon with their flanker ahead of their prop). Apparently laying all over the ball is not illegal in a red shirt but not releasing within 0.002 seconds is a penalty offence when wearing green.

The bloke is an absolute disgrace to the game. Time and time again it happens when that corrupt gibbon is given the whistle.

I don't care if it sounds like sour grapes. Owens ruined that game because he'd decided the winner before the teams had even arrived at the stadium.

That sounds far too familiar. Although saying Artemyev bottled it is a bit too harsh, collecting a bobbling ball with that pressure is not easy. Yes, 9/10 times youd think he would collect it and walk over but anyone could have spilled that.

Northampton played the better rugby if you ask me but, as usual, Munster played the more accurate rugby and that told in the end with a very typical Irish snatch and grab. No offence meant but it seems that these sort of results happen in favour of Irish teams over everyone else. Munster and Ulster did it on the same day.
Fair enough "bottle" may be harsh but the ball bounced up and my point was Saints did have chance to kill the game off and didn't take it.

Did Northampton play the better rugby? 100% yes they did and dominated possession and territory.

And well Munster, Ulster and Leinster snatcht these results more often as they consistently play in HEC and have the experiennce. As simple as that teams like Toulouse and Leicester are also capable of it as they are here season after season and well there is no surprise in that.

Latest posts