Heineken Cup Final: Northampton Saints - Leinster

Heineken Cup Final

• Northampton Saints

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Leinster

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's helpful. Gather a load of quotes, spin them out of context then spit a load of hyperbole in my face. Bravo.

That thing you said about the French - 2 examples represents the entire nation. Fine, you I challenged you to find a racing fan (or whatever it was I asked exactly, can't be bothered to go back) and you delivered that. Can't argue that. However I'd ask: Are you honestly, genuinely telling me that is representative of every single fan? Or even the Majority? I still find that hard to believe.

PS:
"A debate is when you counter someone's argument with another argument"

But again, enjoy your little victory Charles. Deliberately behaving in an antagonistic manor towards a member rather then a somewhat heated discussion on a subject earns you this magnificent victory. Celebrations all round.

That's helpful. Gather a load of quotes, spin them out of context then spit a load of hyperbole in my face. Bravo.

That thing you said about the French - 2 examples represents the entire nation. Fine, you I challenged you to find a racing fan (or whatever it was I asked exactly, can't be bothered to go back) and you delivered that. Can't argue that. However I'd ask: Are you honestly, genuinely telling me that is representative of every single fan? Or even the Majority? I still find that hard to believe.

PS:
"A debate is when you counter someone's argument with another argument"

But again, enjoy your little victory Charles. Deliberately behaving in an antagonistic manor towards a member rather then a somewhat heated discussion on a subject earns you this magnificent victory. Celebrations all round.

Three cheers for Sireli Bobo :D

Haha you're a joke Bullit. It's late here, I'm done with you. Enjoy playing the victim card, nobody's buying it but if it makes you feel better...

Haha you're a joke Bullit. It's late here, I'm done with you. Enjoy playing the victim card, nobody's buying it but if it makes you feel better...
:lol:

applause.gif

You implied people had made it personal when YOU were the one that made it personal. The quotes were used correctly and the point was pretty clear. Can you really not see that?

That thing you said about the French - 2 examples represents the entire nation.
He didnt say they represented the entire nation. You asked for an example he found them in about 2 minutes. His point was made.

Its a common enough occurance in the thread and on the forum, as is the fact that you can never accept it.

Deliberately behaving in an antagonistic manor towards a member
Seriously Chris. Random posters have been telling you to calm down and you are accusing Charles of being antagonistic?

I understand this is your forum and I fully expect all posts in this thread to mysteriously dissapear overnight, but its okay to be wrong every now and then.

You implied people had made it personal when YOU were the one that made it personal. The quotes were used correctly and the point was pretty clear. Can you really not see that?

Meh .......... and then you also had the likes of this
photostream

5750061441_4901141166_z.jpg

Francis is getting annoyed at a bunch of begrudgers. No story there.

More to it, this whole "Little Irelander" mentality (similar to the "little Englander" ideal which Fran Cotton wants with renationalisation) has diluted the point of rivalries.

Or to put it much better:

"What is Francis trying to say? Will Liverpool fans support Man United in the Champions League final next weekend because they are also an English team? Will I support Leinster because they are in a final? You can bet I won't. And I couldn't give a hoot what Francis thinks about who I support,"

Spot on.

Ahhh yes. Football rivalries, the perfect example for all sports

442682691_70b921c1e9.jpg

Rugby is not football. Rugby fans are nothing like football fans, rugby rivalries are nothing like football rivalries.

The majority of Munster fans supported Leinster for any number of reasons. They usually support them when they wear green so its an easy transition (Munster then Ireland, then Irish rugby), they wanted Connacht to get into the HEC, they had absolutely no affinity with the Saints etc.

The desire to see their rival, or rivals fans fail is not a motivation that comes into any but the very few. Its not a rugby thing. Especially not an Irish rugby thing.

********. Sport is about rivalries. Leinster and Munster don't play to represent Ireland. Saints and Tigers don't play to represent England. If you believe otherwise you're an idiot who buys into the Sky Sports tabloid bullshit.

Hint: The Heineken Cup is the pinnacle of CLUB rugby. A fan going as a Neutral is not forced to have affinity because of convenience.

I for one hope Leicester have their arse handed to them on Saturday. According to your logic, that's wrong because they're also from the East Midlands.

Jees, calm down there Chris, getting a bit excited again. I dont think anyone is dissagreeing with you on the fact that rivalries exist in rugby. Of course they do. They just arent as intense in rugby as they are in football. They dont lead to fans hating fans, or fans wanting other teams to fail.

If Leinster cant win a particular trophy I'd hope Connacht, Ulster or Munster win it. The great majority of Irish rugby fans would think along similar lines. Dont see why you have to have such an issue with it.

Try going to an East Midlands derby. Or for that matter, listen to some smug ******** like Rob Andrew sing the test rugby line.

The intensity & passion of modern club rugby will never EVER be replicated with the nationalistic attitude of "if we don't win I hope our biggest rivals do". If you're capable of thinking that, I sorry to say you're incapable of getting it.

Respecting and Rooting for a team are 2 very different things.

Whatever.

Right... enough of this hate and let's get back to the film.

I've made a few calls and Gerard Butler has agreed to play Nathan Hines

Just a brief point on the rivalry thing, I'm not sure (but haven't read the whole the thread) that the real issue is being addressed. TRF_Bullitt says there's nothing wrong in cheering on a non-Irish team if you're own province isn't playing. And he's right. I know a Munster fan who was cheering for Leicester in the HC QF. She was cheering for them because her hubby is a Leicester man and she feels more of a connection to them as a result than she does Leinster. And that's fine.

The real issue here isn't that Munster fans were cheering for Northampton out of genuine support, but that they were cheering for Northampton out of spite towards Leinster. They really didn't care who it was as long as Leinster didn't win. And that's just pathetic. Rugby is very much built on the idea of respect and sportsmanship, and that kind of behaviour flies in the face of what is so special about the game. If you want to cheer for a team in a match do it because you want to see that team win, not because you want to see the other team lose. You'll find that if it's the latter it also will impact on your interaction with your rivals fans too. And what's the point in that? The thing that stands out most about the game is how, in the end, we're all rugby mates regardless of our club or country. We can all have a pint and a laugh after the game and enjoy each others company. The people Franno was giving out about were the kind Leinster fans could not have had a pint and a laugh with that weekend. Thankfully the only Munster fans I met were true ambassadors for the game. Drunk, but as gracious as the drink allowed!!! ;-)

Latest posts