Heineken Cup Final: Northampton Saints - Leinster

Heineken Cup Final

• Northampton Saints

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Leinster

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sexton never struck me as a leader really but with a man like Bod giving him such high praise he really must have it.

After today I think that he has definitely surpassed Ronan O'Gara in ability, a few more years of experience and he could become a real force to be reckoned with internationally.

Last edited:
Well that was one hell of a game!

It had to be said the bestter team won. Northampton played a ver very clever tactical ploy in the 1st half and I smiled as Dean Richards tried to sort of sugarcoat it!!
At the scrum Tong was dropping his bind and shoulder on Ross and forcing Ross up every time. Cullan pointed this out to the ref but he wasnt listening! It was very cleaver I have to say and it stopped Leinster getting a platform!
In the 2nd half Ross got his arm over to stop Tong and Leinster powered through the scrums! It was very....interesting!

Leinster blew Northampton away...it sickened me how Sky tried to make excused on how "fatigued" Northampton were. Leinster have had as many game but their talant has allowed them to close out game far earlier and so rest players. In my estimation the Magners is a harder ride than the AP in any case...poor showing from sky!

Well that was one hell of a game!

It had to be said the bestter team won. Northampton played a ver very clever tactical ploy in the 1st half and I smiled as Dean Richards tried to sort of sugarcoat it!!
At the scrum Tong was dropping his bind and shoulder on Ross and forcing Ross up every time. Cullan pointed this out to the ref but he wasnt listening! It was very cleaver I have to say and it stopped Leinster getting a platform!
In the 2nd half Ross got his arm over to stop Tong and Leinster powered through the scrums! It was very....interesting!

Leinster blew Northampton away...it sickened me how Sky tried to make excused on how "fatigued" Northampton were. Leinster have had as many game but their talant has allowed them to close out game far earlier and so rest players. In my estimation the Magners is a harder ride than the AP in any case...poor showing from sky!

Just to point out that Ross was also illegally binding in the first half. In the first half Ross had his arm over his binding and it still made no difference. Second half Strauss was popping his head out because of the pressure to which he should have been penalised for doing.

"**** li...Stuff like this happens all the time in sport" Johnny Sexton

im drunk and so happy right now. i was an angry drunk in the first half though but the second half was amazing. brilliant leinster just brilliant. just don't test my heart like that ever again....

What a match. The best game all season. Northampton came out firing and were absolutely insane. The did everything right and battered Leinster upfront. Our scrum was battered and we couldn't take it. I really though the game was over at half time but that come back by Leinster just shows how good any team has to be to beat them. Our Feek must have said some great advice at half time as our scrum just became so powerful. It summed it up when I our first scrum of the second half Reddan tapped Heaslip at the back to pass the ball off the base but Heaslip didn't pass it and backed his front five who marched on to win a penalty. We upped the pace so much and thats when they couldn't cope with us. Our bench made a great impact as well. Jennings showed he should be first choice 7. He came on and the game changed. McFadden came on and added a some great physicality. Schmidt is a brilliant coach. He managed to regroup his team and believed in them. He clearly told his team "Just go out their and play, you can do this and you have nothing to lose now."

I would also like to say I thought Roman Poite had a great game. By far the best game I have seen him referee and that game was not an easy game to officiate.
Stand Out players:

Foden- He was Saints best player and not only was he their most threatening player in the first half, he was the only player that really could have turned the game Saints' way in the second half

Clark- I thought Clark was really impressive and showed some great skill for th Saints first try

Tonga'uiha- Just a power house.

Sean O'Brien- He was immense in the second half. The Saints couldn't stop him and he brought his offloading game.

Jamie Heaslip- He has such an awareness for the game. He kept his head and guided the pack

Sexton- Just incredible. He kept his cool to kick to important kicks in the first half while the rest of his team fell apart and in the second half he showed how mature he really is and he controlled Leinster and cut the Saints apart.

They were the best two performances by NH teams this season, including international sides. I really respect the Saints after that match too. Before I didn't think they were a good side but they were the first team to score three tries against a full Leinster side this season(I think) and it only took them one half. The saints will have at least one h cup in the next 5 years.

Great game. Northampton were excellent in the first half, but they faded as was expected in the second half. Good team, poor depth.

Once again my man love of Johnny10 has been justified. The guy must have been brought up around radioactive waste such are the powers bestowed upon him. I'm happy. Can't see Bullitt sharing that emotion.

Alot of talk about Johnny Sextons magic but I think Jennings deserves a mention here ...He was hitting the breakdown all over the shop and brought some much needed balance to the backrow as in the first half we were having huge difficulty in keeping the ball in hand ..

In other news I offer my sisters hand in marriage to the lord our SOB

Any sign of a stream guys? Wouldn't mind having this one saved.

Great game. Northampton were excellent in the first half, but they faded as was expected in the second half. Good team, poor depth.

Once again my man love of Johnny10 has been justified. The guy must have been brought up around radioactive waste such are the powers bestowed upon him. I'm happy. Can't see Bullitt sharing that emotion.

Well St.Marys college is a very dirty place. Jennings and Sexton are the lucky ones the rest of us come out with 3 arms or a giant tooth growing out our nose. :)

Just finished watching a full replay of this match. And what a match it was; drama and excitement aplenty.

All you northern bods would know Heineken Cup better than I would, but would that match rank as the greatest HC final ever?

Just finished watching a full replay of this match. And what a match it was; drama and excitement aplenty.

All you northern bods would know Heineken Cup better than I would, but would that match rank as the greatest HC final ever?

Definitely the best I've seen.

I thought Jamie Heaslip was just amazing in the 2nd half. His awareness is unparalleled.

No stream links on the forum

- Olyy

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts