• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Final: Ulster vs. Leinster - 19/05/2012

On paper, I'd say the teams are fairly even... on grass, not so much.

Nah, I'd say Leinster have the better first 15 on paper... but not so much better that our first 15 couldn't do them on an off-day.

However, the strength of the bench is completely different, they have the depth to really change the game and up the ante in the second half if they need to.

If Leinster play to anything like their potential, I simply cannot see us winning. However if they have a bad day and their bench cannot overly influence the game... we can definitely win.

I'll travel in hope rather than expectation - even if we don't win, if you'd gave me the HEC final before the start of the year, including hammering Leicester and beating Munster away, I'd have bit your arm off!

I think we have a superior front five (not by much), back-row and half-backs very difficult to call, disadvantage in the centres and back-three (again not by much). I reckon a combined best of both team would look like this:

Healy, Best, Afoa
Thorn, Muller
Ferris, Heaslip, O'Brien

Pienaar, Sexton
Trimble, Wallace, O'Driscoll, Nacewa,
Kearney

8 Leinstermen, 7 Ulstermen

It's definitely hope rather than expectation, but I equally think the potential is there. The pack are going to need the greatest damn game of their lives though.

I equally think the potential is there. The pack are going to need the greatest damn game of their lives though.
I dont think many of us would doubt that. The potential is definately there. I meant it as a compliment when I said that you guys remind me of where Leinster were four or five years ago, just before we ambushed the turnips munchers, and started to win trophies.

You are building something very special up there and with Jackson coming on (very impressed with him), Wilson coming home, and Payne to return to fitness you are only going to get stronger. I think you'll be looking to be the number one team in Ireland but I'd say you are still about two years away from having the strength and belief to do it.

More than good enough to win this final, but it would be a huge surprise.

But when you factor in the coach and the bench it kinda heads off in one direction.

It'll be won or lost in the last 30 minutes or so.

I think we have a superior front five (not by much), back-row and half-backs very difficult to call, disadvantage in the centres and back-three (again not by much). I reckon a combined best of both team would look like this:

Healy, Best, Afoa
Thorn, Muller
Ferris, Heaslip, O'Brien

Pienaar, Sexton
Trimble, Wallace, O'Driscoll, Nacewa,
Kearney

It's definitely hope rather than expectation, but I equally think the potential is there. The pack are going to need the greatest damn game of their lives though.[/QUOTE

Fitz instead Trimble, makes up way more ground

Charteris is shorter also O'Connell at the moment is an excellent target to have though Toner should be the one to take over if he keeps this season's form up.

Yeah Cronin's improved a lot at throwing seems to be slipping a bit recently though. His scrummaging prowess has been mentioned by Feek in interviews before.

Charteris is 6' 9"', Toner 6' 6/6 7. O'Connell at the mo is giving it the beans but three seasons from now will he be??
But lads i cant say enough about D Ryan, he's going to be a massive player in the coming years, he has everything

Charteris is 6' 9"', Toner 6' 6/6 7. O'Connell at the mo is giving it the beans but three seasons from now will he be??
But lads i cant say enough about D Ryan, he's going to be a massive player in the coming years, he has everything

Wikipedia (dodgy source I know) and the Leinster Rugby site have Toner at 6'10'' and the Six Nations site has him as 6'9'', so at the very least he's the same height as Charteris.

I'd like to think O'Connell could still be around and in form in three years. Maybe he could do a Brad Thorn on it? Though in fairness he does seem like a bit of a freak in that regard, but it's a possibility at least.

Donncha Ryan is an excellent player and should definitely be in Ireland's starting 15, but I'm not sure how much he can improve on where he is, given that he's 28. Dan Tuohy, although only two years younger, would probably have more scope to develop as a player.

Devin Toner 6'7" :lol: Look at him! Look at his gangly stick body towering over Leo Cullen and everyone else. Srsly, 6'10". If they're lying about his height they've revising it downwards.

Log - I can't argue with any of that, save that I do think the belief is there. Just not the strength. Seriously not the strength. The coaching and bench thing is... well, yeah.

As a rule I ignore height/weight stats from teams. Numerous sources put Dafydd Jones at 6'6" when he isn't a shade over 6'3".
Chart is right about 6'9", no clue about Toner.

Toner is definitely 6'10" I have it from the horses mouth It's pretty obvious anyway he's a head taller than Cullen who's 6'6" according to every single source I've seen.

I'm going to tell Dev to try to stand beside some taller people in the line up;

Devin_Toner-390x285.jpg

As an aside, I remember seeing Shane, Adam, and Luke lined up for the anthems a few years back. Couldn't see all of Luke's head or Shane's chin.

I am 6'6", and you can trust me :)

Why aren't you on the 7's team then? We could do with having '95 Jonah Lomu. ;)

Latest posts