• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heinke van der Merwe signs for Leinster

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
Is he any good? I know that he's primarily a loosehead who's flirted with converting to tighthead but that's about it.

Chances are that Cian Healy will miss a lot of games next season due to preparation for the World Cup. He'll also likely miss a chunk of time at the start of the 2011/12 season, once again due to the World Cup. Van der Merwe toured with the Springboks last November so he must have something about him.

http://www.lionsrugby.co.za/index.php/all-rugby/currie-cup/news-a-results/540-heinke-leaves-lions

June 7 - The Golden Lions Rugby Union announced this afternoon that Golden Lions prop Heinke van der Merwe will be leaving the Union. Van der Merwe will be joining Irish team Leinster Club from 1 July 2010 for a period of two years, until July 2012.

GLRU CEO Manie Reyneke has expressed deep regret about Heinke's move, but agreed that it was a great opportunity for the player to better his career.

"We firmly believe in giving our players the best opportunities in life and to allow them to grow as players and this is the perfect opportunity for him to reach his full potential. As sad as we are to lose him, we could not deny him such a fantastic opportunity", Reyneke said.

Heinke's wife Nicole is due to give birth within the next two weeks, so as soon as their child arrives, they will make the move to Ireland.

Van der Merwe said this afternoon that he is very excited for the move. "We will have a baby and are leaving our home and our country for two years, so amidst all the nerves and tension, we are both very excited.

"This is an opportunity that has come up, that I certainly couldn't say no to it. In two years' time, I will have gained some invaluable experience and skills, and will gladly come back to the Lions as they have first option to retain my services. I grew up at the Lions and will remain loyal to them", van der Merwe said.

Edit - it's now on the official Leinster site too.

Last edited:
Pity, i rate him. He's been injured for the better part of 2 years now though.
IMO he is the strongest scrummaging loosehead in SA when he's fit. Freakishly strong. Doesn't offer much else around the pitch though.

From what Joe Schmidt has been saying as of late, this sounds like one of his type of signings. The new head coach wants to re-emphasise the importance of the scrum and try batter teams into submission. If van der Merve can not only lock the scrum but also help Leinster become dominant in that area, it'll help stunt opposition backlines and number 8's by putting them on the back foot (as Schmidt's theory goes).

There were quite a few romours that Deon Carstens was the player Leinster were initially looking at to fill the void at loosehead. Apparently he had all but agreed a deal but backed out at the last minute when SA_racens gazumped their offer. Sarries had a lot of spare cash due to Sione Tonga'huia jilting them having initially agreed to sign. Perhaps it worked out in Leinster's favour since they've now got a young prop on the way up rather than a veteran looking for a last big pay day.

Good signing for Leinster he will add power to the scrum (rated as one of if not the best loosehead scrummager in SA). Many think he is unlucky not to have more caps to his name nut he still has plenty of time for that. Also I doubt hes on a high earner as he just spent a season with the dreadful lions and is quite under rated by many clubs in the Southern Hemisphere. I'd also say it was a good move by him, He'll gain experience and has nothing to lose.

As Steve-0 said, he is a strong scrummager but offers very little in other aspects of play, and seems to be injury prone.
When injured, he either has a long term injury, or a slight ****le that becomes a big problem, certainly wouldn't have wanted them near the Sharks

Latest posts