• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Henson Sacked

Robert Prosser

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
A Blues statement read: "Following a management meeting on Monday morning Cardiff Blues can confirm that Gavin Henson has been dismissed with immediate effect."
Chief executive Richard Holland said: "The Cardiff Blues management have discussed the matter at length but have acted swiftly since the incident occurred on Saturday morning.
"Gavin admitted himself that his behaviour was totally unacceptable and the immediate termination of his contract sends out a clear message that behaviour like that will not be tolerated at the Blues.
"We have a duty to our supporters and sponsors to protect the good name of Cardiff Blues and those associated with our brand.
"Gavin Henson is obviously a talented rugby player and it's unfortunate that his career at the Blues has ended this way.
"However, we would like to thank him for his service and wish him the best of luck with his future career."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17575844

It's a shame really, he never really had a chance at the Blues. It almost seems like they were looking for a reason to get rid of him

Would love to know the full story of what happened on the plane.
Can't help but feel that this is being used an excuse to get rid of him, rather than him having done something that warrants immediate dismissal.

I wonder if this'll be it for him in rugby now - don't think any of the Welsh regions will have him, and he said he wants to play in Wales.

It's a shame really, he never really had a chance at the Blues. It almost seems like they were looking for a reason to get rid of him

Agreed its seemed to me that Barber and Burnell never liked him and for that reason even though he was working hard in training etc they never seemed to pick him when he was available picking Parks, Sweeney at no 10 or Evans and Hewitt in the centre instead of him.

Would love to know the full story of what happened on the plane.
Can't help but feel that this is being used an excuse to get rid of him, rather than him having done something that warrants immediate dismissal.

I wonder if this'll be it for him in rugby now - don't think any of the Welsh regions will have him, and he said he wants to play in Wales.

Out of all the Wlesh regions the only one I could see even possibly taking him would be the Dragons but thats would be a long shot, and agree with both of you here it feels very much to me that they wanted to get rid of him and have used this as an excuse to do so, from what I gather he was drunk and was throwing some ice cubes around and his language was a bit loud and abusive, not being funny but surely thats not enough to sack someone give him a fine and donate that fine to charity matter dealt with, very much a case of the two coaches not liking the man himself I believe.

Tom James and Ceri Sweeney are still in the squad, and they did much worse than throw a few ice cubes around.

Cymro has said that Henson and Burnell were rumoured to have had a bust up before this ...

when Care was kicked out of the England team for pretty much the same reason people were backing Lancaster , now people seem to side with Henson

... probably because Burnell is crap coach and shows inconsistency compared to Sweeney and James

although Sweeney is very likely leaving end of season, and Cymro said there was rumour James could as well

Last edited:
Speaks volumes about the club that they get rid of players like Andy Powell for "losing his way" and Henson. While keeping Sweeney and Tom James who have been arrested for suspicion of assault...

Blues set up is fankly a shambles.

If 'Cubegate' is why he has been sacked for then it's a petty reason to get rid. If the Blues cared then they would help Henson by getting him counselling for his alcohol problem.

Also he's been banned for 6 months from Flybe.

Last edited:
To be honest though, it gets harder and harder to give Gavin Henson the benefit of the doubt. If I was him I'd have been on my best behavior. If they were looking for an excuse to sack him, then he shouldn't have given them one. He's 30 years old now, too old to get fired for throwing around ice. If he didn't act like an idiot he'd probably have 80 international caps instead of just 33.

LOL is he still good? We could use a centre next season. Probably long of a wait though, he may as well go to France.

Said years ago he always wanted to play SH rugby. Doubt he's good enough to get on the Force bench now though. Mind, I'd still have him in a heartbeat - you'll always be in my good books Gav, you ****ing boy!!!!!

There is definitely more to this than meets the eye.

The fact that the Blues squad were out on the lash after that terrible farce against Glasgow, a week before the biggest game of their season, shows just how poor the management / coaching setup really is there. Henson's behaviour on the plane may have been unacceptable but allowing the squad out on the **** a week before your HEC 1/4 final is unforgivable. Its safe to say two coaches in question are inept of any coaching ability what-so-ever, they should of put them in a room made them watch the game and tell them straight that performances like that are not acceptable.

"We have a duty to our supporters and sponsors to protect the good name of Cardiff Blues and those associated with our brand."

Slightly hyopcritical considering the club DO NOT have a zero tollerance, the club DO NOT protect the brand etc. IF the club did this, then why were others not treated the same? FFS others were arrested and in some cases CHARGED! yet no actionw as taken against them, nothing was done against Sweeney and James or Roberts and bradley Davies for that matter for their indescretions........maybe just maybe if they smacked the crap out of them this rubbish still wouldnt ce going on at the club I am ashamed to say we are becoming an embarrassment to the game of rugby in Wales.

What gets me here is Henson admitted he behaved badly on that plane, the FACT that he has NOT been arrested, has NOT assaulted anyone, and apparently has not acted illegally, BUT for some reason he has been punished as hard as one could be punished.

Casey Laulala ‏ @LeCase23 Close
@PeteBorlasey exactly...it wasn't bad at all. Been blown out of proportion. Club are just amateurs dealing with things

Why would Lualala say this?

No wonder he is off bet he cant wait to catch the ferry to Ireland....

I going to say pretty much the same thing. I would like the Cardiff management to look the camera in the eye and say they would do exactly the same if it was Roberts/Halfpenny or any of the others they want to keep.

Not Henson's biggest fan, and he is a bit of an idiot for this, but he has been victimised big time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire now especially as little injuries keep getting to him, or maybe try league just for the publicity and to promote "Brand Henson"

Latest posts