• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hernandez to miss the AI

J

Juan VdS

According to Santiago Phelan, Juani will probably miss the Autumn Internationals due to a back injury he suffered 4 months ago, and that has worsened in the last few days. He will need 8 weeks off to recover. It would appear that the doctors had advised him against playing the Currie Cup right after he settled in South Africa; but he did nonetheless.

This is of course a devastating blow to the Argentinian squad -- Hernandez is undoubtedly their biggest asset. The fact that Contepomi will also miss the AI does nothing but arise more uncertainty within the players training in Paris. However, we've got plenty of talented fly-halves to pick from, most notably: Marcelo Bosch (Biarritz) and Santiago Fernández (Hindú). The third choice would be Benjamín Urdapilleta, who plays his trade down in CUBA.

So we'll have to deal with the unavailability of our first-choice back rowers and our fly-half. Let's hope Phelan will know how to put together a good squad to take on England, Wales and Scotland.

Article here (in Spanish).

f***. I feel for you, this autumn is a great chance for Argentina to prove they're still up and around with the big boys. And for England it's a chance for us to prove we've built on the good progress of the 6 Nations. Unfortunately we're both getting f***ed up with injury.

No Contepomi or Hernandez. Well, in my opinion, I don't know who else you have without those two, who can direct the game as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 22 2009, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No Contepomi or Hernandez. Well, in my opinion, I don't know who else you have without those two, who can direct the game as well.[/b]

Mark my words Nick -- Both Bosch and Fernández are going to be world class fly-halves in a couple years.

Let's look at the bright side: these games might put their nerve and skills to the test.

No doubt, I'm not claiming that there arn't other good Argeninte Fly Halves, but certainly none have been proven at international level beyond Hernandez and Contepomi. That being said, the next in line could be even better.

On the plus side it will help build depth for Argentina...

They've lost a lot of experienced players since the last World Cup... and they're a team I like to watch succeed...

Ouch, that hurts. Two of the top flyhalfs in the world and you entire back row, but of an uphill struggle for Argentina now?

Benjamín Urdapilleta is a fantastic player, with a wonderful boot. I don't think he missed a single kick throughout the entire Churchill Cup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 22 2009, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No doubt, I'm not claiming that there arn't other good Argeninte Fly Halves, but certainly none have been proven at international level beyond Hernandez and Contepomi. That being said, the next in line could be even better.[/b]

Yeah mate I got your point. :)

Losing Hernandez at this point is so sad because he had been playing very well for the Sharks in SA. He's added a new dimension to his game.

We're fortunate enough to have depth at #10, even if the players have not been completely groomed and tested in that position: Bosch is currently playing at fullback for Biarritz, and he's been performing very well there. Santiago Fernández is playing here in Argentina and he is way ahead of all the amateur fly-halves that play with him. Regrettably, both are heavily underrated.

Let us also consider Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, capable of playing #10, #12 and #15. It's a matter of time before Leicester grasps his full potential and plays him as fly-half / fullback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 22 2009, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the plus side it will help build depth for Argentina...

They've lost a lot of experienced players since the last World Cup... and they're a team I like to watch succeed...[/b]

The RWC07 squad was comprised of players that were in their 30s, so since they retired Phelan is forced to find a brand new squad of Pumas. The loss of Pichot was HUGE. Not only because of his skills as scrum-half, but for his attitude towards the game and his natural leadership. I'm confident we'll do well in 2011 though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Oct 22 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ouch, that hurts. Two of the top flyhalfs in the world and you entire back row, but of an uphill struggle for Argentina now?

Benjamín Urdapilleta is a fantastic player, with a wonderful boot. I don't think he missed a single kick throughout the entire Churchill Cup.[/b]

Spot on mate. Urdapilleta does deserve a spot in this squad. It's amazing to see Argentina-based players partaking in matches that involve the highest level of Rugby in the world. As I previously said, the loss of Hernandez / Leguizamon / Fessia / Galindo / Contepomi will put their skills to the test, and hopefully they'll be able to come through.

If Hernandez misses out it will be the killer blow. This tour was to be an ideal one with Argentina able to go for three wins and have a strong chance of doing so successfully. The loss of Leguizamon is extreme but manageable with Juan Fernandez Lobbe but losing Hernandez is identical to the All Blacks playing with no Carter and McCaw. Take away Fessia and Galindo too and it looks tough.

Lets not write off Argentina though. They have the Jaguars system now which is producing great players. Whent he system commenced in late Ferbruary of this year plaeyrs like Lucas Amorisino, Gonzalo Camacho and Juan Figallo were all involved and had never played pro rugby. All are now doing well for leading clubs in Europe. Yesterday Argentina Jaguars defeated Canada 'A', which in reality was Canada's top domestic based team. Not 100% but very close to it. The Jaguars won by a big score. When Argentina drew with the Lions in 2005 they did so with no Hernandez, no Pichot, no Corleto, no Longo, no Albacete, no Scelzo, no Roncero, no Alvarez and others. From the World Cup XV only Felipe Contepomi, Mario Ledesma and Juan Leguizamon were in the team vs the Lions. Thats right, only three of them. Leguizamon was a young player making his first appearance for Argentina vs top opposition. he had previously played against Japan.

Argentina have other players to use who are outstanding. The success of the Jaguars is a good indication of this. Above all, however, the fact that the Jaguars exist allows Argentina to have options at long last.

I am not convinced yet that Hernandez will miss the tour. If he does then, as Juan says, Bosch, Fernandez and Urdapilleta are all options. vs Ireland last November both Hernandez and Contepomi were injured and Santiago Fernandez played 10 and did well. Argentina wee without Bosch too who was injured as well. Since then Fernandez has established himself in the team with strong performances vs England and for the Jaguars.

In November 5 Felipe should return from his knee injury to play for Toulon in what will be round 12 of the Top 14 vs Perpignan. If all goes well Felipe Contepomi should be avaliable for the tests against Wales and Scotland and could make a late push to play England. The game vs England is Nov 14 which gives him time.

Here is an article written by Felipe Contepomi himself, posted today on scrum.com in Spanish:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
<H2>"Estoy muy justo"
Felipe Contepomi, columnista de Scrum.com, habla de su regreso a Los Pumas, aunque todavía no sabe si podrá jugar en la gira por Europa

Comentarios Enviar Imprimir Compartir var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ ***le:"Estoy%20muy%20justo%20con%20los%20tiempos", url:"/news/story?id=919603%26s=rug%26type=column", published: "2009-10-22" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); Por Felipe Contepomi
Scrum.com
Archivo TOULON-- Por estas horas se mezclan las sensaciones. La felicidad por el nacimiento de mi segunda hija (Manuela) se junta con la incertidumbre de no saber si voy a poder participar de la gira con Los Pumas, el mes próximo. La verdad, les tengo que decir que no sé, no sé si voy a llegar, aunque voy a intentar hacer todo lo posible, porque no me la quiero perder.

g_feli_332x170.jpg
GettyFelipe Contepomi: "Voy a hacer todo lo posible para llegar"

Ya pasaron 4 meses y 3 semanas de la operación, y la rodilla está bien, pero hasta que no me pruebe en un entrenamiento con intensidad, hasta que no intente hacer un cambio de paso o picar, no voy a tener certezas de si la rodilla va a responder. Desde el punto de vista médico, tengo el alta, pero una distensión en el cuadriceps izquierdo me frenó un poco.

Venía trabajando con buen ritmo, pero tuve que parar dos semanas; si bien no paré de ejercitarme, no me exigí. Calculo que la próxima semana voy a poder incorporarme con normalidad a las prácticas, y si bien voy a estar presente en la concentración con el seleccionado nacional en París, no voy a participar de los entrenamientos.

Con los tiempos estoy muy justo. No puedo decir cuándo volvería a jugar; según los cálculos, tal vez lo haga en la 12ª fecha del torneo de Francia (el 5 de noviembre) frente a Perpignan, pero eso es unos días antes de empezar la gira, y de todas formas tampoco hay seguridad de que esté diez puntos. De poder actuar en dicho encuentro, seguramente no juegue los 80 minutos; entonces, eso también es un condicionante.

Hoy por hoy no tengo una respuesta concreta. Les repito: hasta que no empiece a esforzarme en los entrenamientos, no voy a saber qué pude pasar. Recién en esas condiciones voy a saber si estoy o no disponible. Estoy siguiendo los pasos como corresponde, no dejo de trabajar para estar bien, pero hay que esperar un poco más. No quiero apurarme y tampoco busco ir a la gira a cualquier precio; tengo muchas ganas de jugar, pero si no estoy completamente bien, con todo el dolor del mundo voy a tener que desistir de ir con Los Pumas al tour por Inglaterra, Gales y Escocia.

Les mando un abrazo grande.

Felipe[/b]
</H2>

Latest posts