• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How come Piri Weepu doesn't ever seem to start for the ABs?

W

wayner

Weepu seems to always be the AB backup at scrum-half, yet he rarely makes the starting lineup - other scrum-halfs come in and out of the lineups and seem to start ahead of Weepu. Why is that?

I've never been able to work this out either, my only hypothesis is that he has shown himself to be a good player off the bench.

Because Henry thinks he gives so much more to the team when he comes off the bench as an impact player in the last 20 or so minutes. I'm not sure if I agree with the theory myself, but make of it what you will.

Yeah that is right. Weepu can cover #10 as well, so that is another reason, but Henry believes that Weepu makes more impact off the bench then anyother half back in NZ. Henry said him and Mealamu were "super subs"...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Aug 10 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah that is right. Weepu can cover #10 as well, so that is another reason, but Henry believes that Weepu makes more impact off the bench then anyother half back in NZ. Henry said him and Mealamu were "super subs"...[/b]
I don't see why he can't start on the field and still cover 10. I think he deserves a go at starting, myself, even though I don't think he is the best long term option.

Since I rate Weepu and I don't rate Cowan, Ellis or Leonard and there aren't any other kiwi 9s in the Super 14... Weepu should start. Simple.

A super sub behind Byron is one thing, but behind Cowan, Leonard or Ellis? Madness.

Leonard has actually been performing really well in the Super 14 for a number of years. To me, he is the best long term option and the guy who I can see holding the jersey in 2011.

I heard he was having it off with one of Graham Henrys relations and that was one of the reasons why they never took him to that damn Rugby World Cup. To be real thou I think it's because he can cover 9 and 10 and they probably wanna milk Cowan and Leonard into the team that way they can say see we didn't make a mistake not taking Weep to the Rugby World cup.

Weepu's always been in the dogbox with this current group of coaching. When Piri and Cowan where having similar off-field problems, it always seemed that they were more willing to forgive and give Jimmy and easier go.

I dunno. I think Piri provides more to the position than Cowan or Leonard do.

One of the reasons why Henry annoys me...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (admartian @ Aug 12 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Weepu's always been in the dogbox with this current group of coaching. When Piri and Cowan where having similar off-field problems, it always seemed that they were more willing to forgive and give Jimmy and easier go.

I dunno. I think Piri provides more to the position than Cowan or Leonard do.

One of the reasons why Henry annoys me...[/b]
I don't buy the fact that Henry doesn't like Weepu. If he wanted to, he could easily play Cowan and Leonard, leaving Weepu out of the 22 altogether. I'm sure it's a tactical decision, misguided or otherwise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 9 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Weepu seems to always be the AB backup at scrum-half, yet he rarely makes the starting lineup - other scrum-halfs come in and out of the lineups and seem to start ahead of Weepu. Why is that?[/b]

iTS A DEBATE WORH DEBATING HES A GOOD PLAYER

I'm a HUGE fan of Weepu and I'm happy if him coming off the bench. I'd have to say he is my Fav. All Black of all time. Now I have only found wihtin the last three years, but in learning about the game I have watched over 24 hours of youtube footage of the All Blacks, every single game played by tri-nations teams, as much Super 14 coverage as they air, 5 All Blacks DVDs, and a few NH matches. With the said I have yet to see anyone who throws such a perfect pass as Weepu does. Other than the recent match is SA I can't remember him making a poorly timed or placed pass. In trying to get into the mind of Henry, esp after the WC2007 , I see that he has patterns sticking with past form over current. He seems to have clouded view of what is in front of him verse what has happened in the past. It is quite certain that Weepu makes a differnece everytime he comes of the bench. His preformance against the Wallies in Brisbane last year was the thing Movies are made about. I would not be suprised if Henry has a closet full of line-up card with Roko typed in at wing and Weepu at 20. I swear I saw him send someone out to get White-Out when it was announced that Weepu would be out for a bit wiht his recent injury.

As for the Cowans starting before him I think Henry is comfortable that they will play well enough just not to lose the match and Weepu will come in and have the potential to win it. This is his same thinking with Roko, he plays well enough not to be a liabilty but at any moment he could find moments of greatness that will when it all. You would have to be a fool to rank Roko or even Howlett when he was Henrys flavor of the day as one of the top five wings in the world. Top 5 on attack YES but not overall. I mean Roko right now is probably #4 at best in NZ let alone the world, but there he is every single test running out with the All Blacks that actually desire to be there.

If Weepu is not on the WC 2011 roster it will be a crime. I truly believe with him on the 2007 Roster there would be a Webb Ellis Trophy in the Cabinet to go with the 1987 one. But it is his own fault for saying he thought he might explore League like his brother (or cousin) before him did. Thing with Henry doen't **** him off he already is cast in the off broadway play "Grumpy Old Men" he is set to play all 3 parts!

I admire Weepu for forcing his way back into the All Blacks. He was dropped awhile ago and could have just walked off to league or something. Instead, he stuck it out and tried to win his spot back. I really don't like how he plays sometimes but I will always admire him for that.

I'm gonna call racist. Happens everytime John Hart never picked Norm Berryman and he was running over everyone in the late 90's he was awesome. Stephen Brett was playing massive a few seasons ago and was considered for higher honors but as soon as he played for the Maori never really saw anything about him playing All Blacks after that.

Chris Smylies another one gees dude was 2006 Npc player of the year and than he played for the Maori what a mistake.

So I'll call racismisms.

Latest posts