• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hype Thread 2022

Yeah memes aside it's not really useful to throw everyone born outside a country in the same bucket, and unless you know them well guessing at their sense of identity is a bit rubbish.

Some of these guys will have been 'the scottish guy' in school growing up and supported the team all along, some will have moved there, found a new lease of life and genuinely given themselves a connection to Scotland; and some will have played for Edinburgh for a few years before immediately ******* off after getting capped

It does seem, whether by accident or design, that the new recruits raised in other union areas that end up in Scotland shirts in the last couple of years are significantly more likely to have a Scottish parent than be reliant on the more tenuous grandparent rule. If they have a Scottish parent and they spend some time with Glasgow or Edinburgh then I can see why people would argue the merits of that. Its just not something I can personally get behind while the u20s are allowed to languish, but I'm in a minority on that front with that opinion.

Screenshot_20220126-175430.jpg

2f7.jpg

I think this could be the closest 6 Nations ever (Italy apart). Usually there are two or three outstanding teams but this year it wouldn't surprise me if one of 5 won it. Very exciting indeed.

Bout time we benefitted from a bit of immigration, we've literally been making the world go round ever since the Brits came and we couldn't stand the smell of them.

Not as much hype on Ireland this year, despite one of our best Autumn International periods ever (the best?), which is undoubtably a good thing.

I think France did us a huge favour smashing the AB's after us. If they lost in standard fashion I think we'd have far more pressure on us.

Really excited to see how we perform, I hope we can continue this new exciting style of play.

Ireland and France favourites to win this year I think.

Just feel like they're both more integrated now and further through their transition phase than England are atm. Both seem to have a better grasp of what they're trying to do and better game management than England. Clear strategy. It still feels like Eddie is tinkering and experimenting atm, and of course if you throw all our injuries into the mix too, that will have a bearing.

If you look at the autumn internationals, for me Ireland in particular were the stand-out team. If you look at the stats in the NZ game, they dominated carries and metres made. Made Japan and Argentina look like pub teams too when they're both clearly not at all.

Obviously I'm not dumb enough to write England off totally as we certainly have it in us to win if we play to our ability - but I can't really see how Eddie intends to play at the minute. What's our midfield combo going to be? Etc.
Not too sure what our game plan is - whereas with the others you can clearly see it.

Just my 50p in the mix. I hope God Courtney gets the captaincy too.

Last edited:
How many red cards are Wales going to get in their favour this 6 nations? I'm going for 3.
Joking aside, keeping our discipline and hoping our opponents lose theirs is probably our best bet this tournament. I have a feeling it could go the other way, though. We've lost a lot of experience this year so I expect to see that reflected in our penalty count and potentially see some inexperienced players let a full house occasion get to them and perhaps go into a tackle to high or whatever. It's easily done these days and it's the same for all teams but we'll see.

To answer the OP. I'm torn between Ireland and France, obviously. Hard to call, I lean towards France having Ireland in Paris but I've got a sneaky feeling Ireland could win the slam this year. Either way one of those 2 are winning it. The rest is anyone's guess but more than likely England 3rd and Italy bottom.

Christ... I would have it totally different.

1. Pelous - Consistency with France, nuff said.
2. Johnson - Should have won another slam otherwise he'd be first, and is the best of the lot in all comps.
3-4. AWJ/POC - AWJ for reasons above but POC captained two and won two. Take your pick.
5-6. BOD/Warburton
7-8. Best/Hartley - I'd edge this to best, I feel like the England side in 16/17 weren't massively reliant on his leadership whereas Best provided a calming presence to a team with POM and Sexton as key players which was clearly lost in 2020/21.

Latest posts