Hypothetical

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
Was asked this and i dont know the answer.
Context, the no-try from the Aus v NZ game where that try-saving tackle meant the ball was arguably a cm away from being grounded.

The question is: does the grounding mean the ball touches the grass or the soil?
To clarify: say the ground is perfectly flat, the grass is 1 or 2 cm hight, we have a camera that clearly and unequivocably shows the ball carrier in full control of the ball makes clear contact with the grass but NOT the soil.
A millisecond before the ball is about to touch the soil defender manages to grab the ball.

Try or no try?
Laboratory situation, i know, but still. Not that far off from what happened last weekend. 2 cms could have made the difference. What do the rules say about this?
Anyone know? Not sure there is a provision for this.

Thanks all.
I've heard it too, but i cant think of a single place in the laws where such thing is stated/clarified.

Again, this sounds like a lab controlled experiment but

- we JUST had an instance where the difference was arguable 1 or 2 cms. Got spoted and the tmo made a call. Could have (spec, i know) very well decided the game
- how long till we have camera's that can spot that virtually automatic. 5 years? 10?

The advance of tech could very well lead to us (bah, wr) to have todefine a few things we now take for granted.

I think i would have given it of im honest, the mm's we're chasing are just another way the top level of the game is becoming too different to the rest

im happy to go on vibe, if you skin a defender, break the line and make it in goal...just give it and move on, we should look to reward good play instead of focusing on punishing people

Latest posts