• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I'd rather have an English SOO equivalent than European Rugby...

Huh, i thought Lawes was born in Northampton - my mistake.

I know SoO is done that way, but i prefer proper northerners vs southerners. No way Eastmond and Burgess should be considered southern cause they play for Bath.

Yes - let's not forget that it was the RFL that tried it!

I think most people agree that the calendar needs to be decluttered, the trouble is no-one seems to accept that that requires less games be played.

It wouldn't even need to be North vs South, it could be two arbitrary teams, or even quadrangular - SW vs SE, N vs Mid. Winner of each game plays for ***le.

i don't disagree that the season needs de-clutter, but i don't see how SOO would do that...

Personally i'd do the following:

Increase prem to 14 teams.

2 pools of 7 home and away + Semi (top 2 from each pool) and Final = 14 games
Bottom 2 play home and away relegation play off - one up from championship.

Lose the LV run A league parallel.

Seed the teams on finishing place - so it would reduce the ocal derbies and make them even more special.

- - - Updated - - -

It was just a joke

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
i don't disagree the season eneds declutter, but i don't see how SOO would do that...

- By having a single 3 game event, you cut down between 3-6 games.
- Satiates the commercial desire for "big games"
- Retains a stepping stone tier between regular domestic and international level

Wouldn't be opposed to your ideas either...

The NRL's structure would not be a bad thing to copypasta.

If you decided to get rid of Europe and put in something of this nature, which I think would be rash and ill-advised, then what I would like to see is a four team tournament - Wessex, Mercia, Home Counties and North, which deals nicely with the fact nobody wants the Midlands on their team in North vs South. Home and away would be best, but if you're looking to cut games then I suppose you go round robin.

It could work quite nicely actually, but Europe is a fantastic product and I'd be risk averse about replacing it.

It could work quite nicely actually, but Europe is a fantastic product and I'd be risk averse about replacing it.

I guess that all depends on how much you think the players would benefit from the time off.

I like the idea of your split though.

I guess that all depends on how much you think the players would benefit from the time off.

I like the idea of your split though.

It would definitely benefit them, but I don't think this should be solely about their fitness; quality of gametime and financial stability need to be considered as well.

If the aim is solely to have players playing less games, which is a noble aim, I'd simply go to down to a 10 club Premiership. I suppose the 14 man model with two conferences could work as well but starts running into quality issues.

In Super League they have a 'Super weekend ' where all the fixtures are played at one stadium. How about a union equivalent ? I think new fans would be born with the Hollywood feel of 50,000 plus in the stadium and a buzz for the players.
Half the fixtures in Manchester and Wembley once or twice a year ?

You mean the Magic Weekend?

I quite like it, it's this weekend funnily enough.

Ha, that's the one. It's a good way of selling the game with some extra gloss.

Latest posts