Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Robbie deans

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Leon McDonald

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Steve Diamond

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
England didn't seem like they really bottled it, it was just England being England... Can anyone even remember a time where we very clearly came out on top discipline wise?

Honestly it looked like they worked damn hard to get level (I think someone did analysis with the penalties saying they dramatically reduced in the timeframe) took thier foot off the gas as the hard work was done and reverted to type.

We would probably end up with ******* Gatland
Do whatever you do to remove that curse....NOW

By gaining international experience either as an AB assistant (like Foster), or overseas (like Hansen, Henry and Mitchel).
Yes - or at least, as an AB assistant (but both is best, like Hansen).
How do you get international experience if your country wants you to have intenrational experience but does not want to give you international experience. Do they expect their coaches to go overseas and work there before being considered for the All Blacks?

Super rugby should be fine as its technically an International competition. I suspect they might have tried to force him to take up an assistant coach position under Foster that way the Abs win as he is forced to accept a position to gain int experience even though he has to compromise from the head coach position, which he probblably does not want.
exactly, been pretty clear they would have taken him as an assistant but he, and a lot of the public, think its time for a change in the AB's rather than the continued evolution

If you look at the Henry - Hansen - Foster succession we're not playing much different than we were 15 years ago and its starting to show in results

I respect him sticking to his guns rather than taking a assistant role where he doesn't have the influence he needs or ends up getting promoted of fosters doesn't do well but then not having the tie to build the squad he wants for the next RWC

same reasoning Joseph/brown stepped out of the running

I wouldn't sack Jones but it's clear from his coaching history he does best when's he's not left on his own. Hopefully he knows this and will bring in someone to assist who strong enough to challenge his idiocies. If not maybe the RFU can force someone into the mix as he's clearly lost the plot in terms of where England struggled in the World Cup and the way forward.

I wouldn't sack Jones but it's clear from his coaching history he does best when's he's not left on his own. Hopefully he knows this and will bring in someone to assist who strong enough to challenge his idiocies. If not maybe the RFU can force someone into the mix as he's clearly lost the plot in terms of where England struggled in the World Cup and the way forward.
It's even more clear from Jones coaching record that he has the biggest impact in the first 2 or 3 years of appointment and then moves on once that initial lustre has faded. He's now entering into his 6th season with us which is uncharted territory for him and a very different skill set (and still a couple of years from a RWC). Being a fresh voice and turning around someone else's legacy is one thing, regenerating your own team quite another. I'm just not convinced he has that weapon in his armoury.

Maybe bar Mitchell, and even then I'm not convinced, he hasn't really surrounded himself with A list coaches who are going to challenge him. The Boris Johnson syndrome.

A RWC final is a hell of a lot of credit in the bank; as are some of our performances that year. Eddie has proven that he get performances such as Away to Ireland, or RWC SF again NZ. He is proven to have the capacity to do that. That counts. A lot.

2018 was poor, and visibly so for exactly the reasons Eddie told us it would be beforehand.

2021 is poor, a significant proportion of that is for exactly the reasons Eddie told us it would be beforehand (though that doesn't explain our indiscipline).
A poor run of results needs to be an actual poor run of results. Yes, we want good performance, and put more weight on that than results - but most fans don't, nor do the RFU.
Any coach deserves the chance to turn around a poor run of performances - and if it's for reasons he's explicitly told us about beforehand, then the time-frame is already set. It's not like Eddie has no idea why we're playing poorly - he explicitly told us the reason (he's got a new attack system lined up, but isn't going to put it into practice yet - partly to not show his hand, and partly because we're seeing new ref. directives, and the plan will need adjusting to that before being applied).

Robinson in contrast, had no real credit in the bank, and didn't know why we were playing badly, or what he could do about it.

We've been playing below par since January 2020 - with significant disruption from Covid; and in a way that was predicted (literally every losing RWC finalist has had a bad following year); results have started going against us for the last... 3 matches - well, 2 out of 3. Eddie has absolutely earned the right to make amends - and that doesn't mean making significant changes mid-tournament, upsetting plans, and almost certainly backfiring. For me, he gets the Summer and the Autumn do show what he said he would (an attacking plan that isn't just to hoof it and defend further up field). If there's no sign of improvement by Christmas 2021, I'll start questioning, a bad 6N '22 and I'll call for his head.

In terms of time - 2 years isn't enough time for a new coach to put new processes, and new game-plan in place, tinkered to the real world and polished in time for a RWC. We're too late to do that unless promoting from within and continuing Eddie's grand plan without Eddie.
1 year is longer than you can expect a dead-cat bounce to last if it's change for change's sake. We're too early to make the most of a bounce for just providing a change.

RFU were struggling for money before Covid stopped them allowing crowds in for rugby or concerts.

ETA: What BPM said
Eddie Jones' has the best win ratio of any previous England coach and is the envy of most other coaches. Enough said!

Steve Diamond.

And yes, Lam would be crap for England so he's staying indefinitely at Bristol where he's valued and loved. :)

Not saying for head coach but I think we made a big mistake not chasing after Edwards to get him involved somewhere. Big character, upbeat, demanding, experienced, English and it does seem that players buy into him. And unless his public image is manure then I doubt he's a head coach yes man.
TO be fair, Mitchell's done pretty well. Defence is one of the only areas we tend not to complain about!

Daly tried to tackle like FBs I've played with T club rugby level. The ones that do their hair and spray aftershave before the game. No interest or intention of tackling but they'll pretend to try at points.

Can we hire Martin Johnson for a couple of days to beat the heads together of the players to get them mentally back on track?

Malinder doesn't even try to tackle. He didn't pretend to, just let the players waltz by.
Can't miss a tackle if you don't attempt it
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Latest posts