• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IF you own a PS2 AND an Xbox...

How does the Xbox version compare with PC, presentation wise (gfx, framerate etc.), I have the game on PC and i must say it is pretty bloody awesome with everything right up (res, AA, LOD).

Originally posted by jared27@Mar 14 2005, 05:07 PM
How does the Xbox version compare with PC, presentation wise (gfx, framerate etc.), I have the game on PC and i must say it is pretty bloody awesome with everything right up (res, AA, LOD).
I would get it on PC but I would never have the time, as it's not my PC.
I have PS2 and Xbox and therefore getting it on Xbox.

Originally posted by flanku+Mar 14 2005, 03:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flanku @ Mar 14 2005, 03:39 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Mar 14 2005, 01:48 PM
- If you have a pretty new tv and it has s-video input at the back (just check), you can use the sony s-video component cable and replace the standard PS2 one that came with the game....this creates much enhanced graphics, sound and colour...you'll be chuffed (according to reading about 50 or so reviews of it last night - customers and electronic mags etc)

- If you have the letter ones (y, pb, pr - check to see) on the back of a more top range tv (doesn't have to be plasma or anything - mine is not) you can use the sony component video cables. And this is where you can all but leave behind the power-intoxicated ramble of GG (love ya man don't get me wrong), teh mite (a twat) and, now, Locksley (a legend - but I don't think was using component video for Rugby 2005 on PS2) in terms of Xbox.
Thanks for the tips Los Luva. I went to amazon to check out buying the component video cable...saw this review...doesn´t contradict anything you said but is stronger on recommending s-video for anyone who doesn't have a super highend T.V., like HDTV. Did you find a diff between component and s-video on a non-HDTV? cheers.

-----------

"Reviewer: "spriggan2" (the West Coast, USA) - See all my reviews

Disclaimer: This review is being written primarily with HDTV owners in mind.

Anyhow, first thing's first: people with standard televisions will notice little to no difference using component video cables. I've tried this firsthand using many sets from Sony (their XBR line), Toshiba, and Panasonic non-HDTV direct-view televisions with color difference ("component") inputs, and have had to really look hard to notice a difference (if any at all), between component and S-Video. Half of the perceived difference, I believe, is due to a mental expectation that the image will be inherently better. ....

However, using an HDTV direct-view set, such as the Panasonic CT-34WX50, CT-36HX40, Sampo SME-34WHD5, et al., as well as some of the better-quality front-projection and rear-projection HDTV units, result in a subtle, yet discernable difference and is the only way to go, IMO. .... Combined with a digital TosLink cable for PS2 audio, and you have an excellent video game and movie-watching unit. However, why would anyone use the PS2 as a DVD player on an HDTV when you can buy a 3/2-pulldown progressive-scan DVD player that will yield spectacular and superior results?

Not sure, but HDTV owners should purchase these cables to maximize their PS2 to the fullest. Standard TV owners should just stick with S-Video, such as the PS2 S-Video offering from Monster Cable." [/b]
Better on HDTVs for sure.....BUT..

those amazon reviews etc are refuted by some more official and thought out/understand the technology angled reviews...which basically state:

If your tv takes both - get component. It has one extra lead for video and audio so it is better fullstop as it allows one extra separation of the colours etc for better definition and colour range.

If it only takes s-video, well, you get it.

Incidently - s-video plugs are more expensive!

The component ones are definitely better and DON'T get monster ones or whatever - there's a horror eview for every great one....just get the official PS2 Sony one....

That's all I can say for sure (I literally trawled for hours through forums, game site reviews etc) until I have used them myself.

But if you CAN use component - use them...hell they're better and cheaper.
<

Originally posted by locksley@Mar 14 2005, 10:35 AM
Just out of interest, did anybody play both the PS2 and Xbox versions of NRL? The difference in frame rate etc between that game on those platforms was unbelievable! This is similar!
i did ... and the difference was the performance i.e no jerkiness,

So Los...you are saying we can also get these S-video / component wires for the XBox too? Fantastic!!!! Especially if it enhances it more.

This debate is helping everybody.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Mar 14 2005, 07:06 PM
So Los...you are saying we can also get these S-video / component wires for the XBox too?  Fantastic!!!!  Especially if it enhances it more.

This debate is helping everybody.
<

see.....

I was (amd am) taking a bit of heat....lol! But I'm just aware that most people have ps2 and I need to help them and myself get the best experience possible.

All PS2 gamers with a midrange tv should get sony s-video cable

and all PS2 gamers with mid- to high-range televisions should get component if cables are compatible with inputs at back...

Thanks GG -

same goes for xbox for sure - only b/c of where the graphics are already at it is probably quite mind-bending...!!

I'll check and see what they're called and how much ther are (in nz) for you GG..

will post soon. But they're f***ing cheap if you think they basically upgrade your console and your games for about $30!!! I mean holy hell! All this time....

<<shakes head>>

all this time....

Except have only had god tv for couple of months or so...So sweet I guess!

OMG! I was getting really depressed about the game (sort of) being worse than xbox graphics etc...and thought it was all a little bit unfair on us PS2 owners...hehe....BUT I am more excited than ever now that I am simultaneously upgrading and getting the game at exactly the same time.

March 17 - itinerary:

- pick up game and cables first thing in the morning...
- connect cables.
- switch PS2 options to component cable output and digital enhancement.
- engage natural motion
- Place Rugby 2005 into console, although hard to do....can't stop shaking!
- Increase volume of sound which is now compatible with tv's dolby surround and enhanced by dual audio plugs that are part of the sony component video cable (but not monster!) NOTE.
- switch to widescreen in game options
- Sit back and friggin blow my mind!!

<

PS - pisseoff about roster problems still....WTF!!!!
<
<

Aaaahhhhhh...tis such a mixture of emotions...

i have the s-video cables for PS2 but they are not sony brand they didnt seem to do much initially but the picture does look better u really need to tvs side by side on the same settings to see the difference.

but maybe the sony brand ones are better?

Originally posted by Los Lover@Mar 14 2005, 07:37 PM
OMG! I was getting really depressed about the game (sort of) being worse than xbox graphics etc
???

Surely you knew the graphics would be a lot better on Xbox than PS2 anyway?

Originally posted by Los Lover@Mar 14 2005, 06:37 PM
I'll check and see what they're called and how much ther are (in nz) for you GG..
Oh....you the man Los!

When I bought my widescreen I remember looking at the back and seeing that computer looking input and thinking "What purpose does that serve?" Now I will turn it into the bomb!!!!

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Mar 14 2005, 07:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Mar 14 2005, 07:47 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Mar 14 2005, 07:37 PM
OMG! I was getting really depressed about the game (sort of) being worse than xbox graphics etc
???

Surely you knew the graphics would be a lot better on Xbox than PS2 anyway? [/b]
Yeah but people were getting quite like: the playstation version is worthless sorts of levels which was getting a man down!!

Now I'm cool.

<

I have to use PS2 control - honestly.

I need to play this game so bad, I don't need to learn something new at the same firggin' time! hehe!
I have never owned an xbox, just played a friend's a few times - it's like playing with three-rubix cubes taped together..!!

OK GG - back soon.

Originally posted by Los Lover+Mar 14 2005, 07:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Mar 14 2005, 07:57 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Mar 14 2005, 07:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Mar 14 2005, 07:37 PM

???

Surely you knew the graphics would be a lot better on Xbox than PS2 anyway?
Yeah but people were getting quite like: the playstation version is worthless sorts of levels which was getting a man down!!

Now I'm cool.

<

I have to use PS2 control - honestly.

I need to play this game so bad, I don't need to learn something new at the same firggin' time! hehe!
I have never owned an xbox, just played a friend's a few times - it's like playing with three-rubix cubes taped together..!!

OK GG - back soon. [/b]
No ones saying you should. If you only have a PS2, theres no point in forking out shitloads of money on a new console, especially as PS3, Xbox2, Nintendo whodickywhatsit, are just around the coroner.
Any news on the Xbox thingy-ma-floos?

I need to have more English lessons
<

Well this one os in trademe.co.nz right now!! Low price for f***ing sure!! And it closes in less than an hour!!!!

I leave it in your hands GG - if you want it ..go for it....I'm not sure how many stores sell them. the gpstore didn't and that's where I'm getting my Ps2 one from.

Good luck - search trade me for xbox + component cable...should find the one I'm talking about. there are others too!

This could be a really good deal by the looks of it...

But I will keep looking for store ones too - apparently this is brand new tho!! OMG!

FYI

<< Xbox Component Cable - Brand New!
No bids | No reserve | Closes: 56 mins
printer friendly page

Starting bid: $ 11 Autobid

Brand New Item

This auction is for a brand new Xbox Component AV Cable.

This cable allows to you to connect your Xbox console to a compatible TV or reciever using its component connections for superior video quality. The cable is approx 2.5m in length.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Payment is expected to be sent within 7 days of end of auction, if you are unable to meet this deadline please let me know.

All prices include GST, if you require a tax invoice with your purchase please let me know.

Please see my other auctions for more gaming accessories for all major consoles.

>>

Note - It has all five leads like the PS2 one - you xboxers will probably love it. But make your own decision, I don't want it to let anyone down. But hell, it can lift xbox games to over 1000p etc - like top-of-the-line PC graphics compatabilities etc...

Hell the PS2 ones make the PS2 picture (will make) on my tv 480p and can go as high as 1080 when the time comes...wahooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Philips match line....best investment I ever made!! hehe...until the cables methinks!
<

Thanks Los. When I get home I'll have a better look behind my Widescreen to see what the gist is.

<
yay-e-yay....shame los xbox owns
<

nah kidn

good stuff gg thats us and the big screen eh?
<
<
<

eh eh eh
<
<
<

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Mar 14 2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks Los. When I get home I'll have a better look behind my Widescreen to see what the gist is.
OK - you're looking for the "y,pb,pr" inputs (on mine, they are above the s-video and regular audio/video inputs etc....

If you haven't got the y,pb,pr - you will have s-video.

s-video is better than normal but not as good as component - which, like the PS2, brings the whole thing to a superb level on a good tv.

<

so Chiro.....

is that jokes like "lost lover"?

<

For sure Chiro. If you have emailed me I haven't checked it yet.

How did your touch game go? Did you play?

Our caretaker is playing for NZ against Australia in the Masters section this Friday night at Gallgher Park, Manurewa (Wally's area). You wanna go watch or will be watching rugby?

Originally posted by Los Lover@Mar 14 2005, 08:34 PM
is that jokes like "lost lover"?

<
I was staring at that line for two minutes trying to figure it out.
I really need some sllep, triathlon in the morning as well.

I WILL B PLAYING RUGBY 2005
<
<
<
!!!...dont be silly!!
<

our touch games are as messy as college lunchtime rugby....u can play if u want?

Oh, I though you were serious with touch.

I will play when I have some sort of fitness

Latest posts