• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

In Argentina: The working class hates Rugby

I´m brazilian, we´re hosting a World Cup right now and football is the only thing you can see on the TV at this moment but nevertheless I have to say: I´m going to support the Argentine Womens Hockey Team forever!! lol

I have a Los Pumas jersey. Is it OK to wear it in any place of Argentina?

Yeah, you can wear the Pumas jersey anywhere. Football supporters are only words, they only threaten. Face to face, they don't have the courage to attack a rugby supporter.

They will probably say you that you are "a fat millionaire" or "a hooligan who enjoy hitting people" or "you only fight with your rugby teammates", foolishness as said @Sumo; but doesn't matter. they are ignorant people who don't even know the difference between League and Union. They only know the more famous players like: Lomu, Chabal or SBW, they don't know the difference between Umaga and Nonu :D

Last edited:
they don't know the difference between Umaga and Nonu :D

Nonu is way fatter and generally rounder. He's like, somebody came along with an air-pump and inflated Umaga and left him that way.
I know the ALL differences...

Nonu is way fatter and generally rounder. He's like, somebody came along with an air-pump and inflated Umaga and left him that way.

thats easy the difference between Umaga and Nonu one is a New Zealander and the other a Kiwi but not sure which!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year, in Fox Sports Argentina, a football journalist had to speak about TRC and he said: "Try by Umaga" :D He didn't know the difference between Umaga and Nonu and he didn't know that Tana stopped playing international level many years ago. Another stupid football supporter talking about rugby, such as @Sumo; :D

thats easy the difference between Umaga and Nonu one is a New Zealander and the other a Kiwi but not sure which!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Why would any man NOT want to support the Argentine Womens Hockey Team?

Leonas-1.jpg

Cheerleader effect bru.

I agree with you Conrad, you'd have to be silly not to know the difference between the two. Nonu is clearly much, much rounder, it's not even close on a tv screen. Umaga wouldn't dream of rocking dat ass on the pitch, he a anorexic mothafukka compared to Nonu's meat.

I fail to see how being aware of every star player makes you a true rugby person or not. No one can know every pro player that's ever played, so what point are you a true rugby supporter?

I bet you 90% of the guys I play with have never watched a Super Rugby, AP, Pro12, 6 nations or TRC game. If you asked them to come up with any famous players, some of them could maybe come up with Dan Carter, Ritchie McCaw, maybe Lomu...

Doesn't stop them from loving the sport and playing the game with everything they've got.

It's a minority sport, lots of people don't know anything about it. You should be helping people learn about it, not judging them for their ignorance.

I fail to see how being aware of every star player makes you a true rugby person or not. No one can know every pro player that's ever played, so what point are you a true rugby supporter?

I bet you 90% of the guys I play with have never watched a Super Rugby, AP, Pro12, 6 nations or TRC game. If you asked them to come up with any famous players, some of them could maybe come up with Dan Carter, Ritchie McCaw, maybe Lomu...

Doesn't stop them from loving the sport and playing the game with everything they've got.

It's a minority sport, lots of people don't know anything about it. You should be helping people learn about it, not judging them for their ignorance.

We must help the people who approaches with respect for our sport. We must not be foolish.

Not the same if I say you:

"Hey f**king Canadian, Could you teach me your f**king sport, the f**king Ice Hockey which is a sport for fat millionaires from cool countries as Canada or USA. You could never play soccer because you're a spoiled child of the first world".

It's different to say:

"Hey Canadian, I'm interested in learning your sport, Ice Hockey".

Most football supporters here say bad things about rugby, they are disrespectful to our sport. Then, they don't deserve respect from rugby supporters IMO.

For example: @Sumo; he isn't interested in rugby, he just wrote here to fight with rugby supporters. He doesn't deserve respect from rugby supporters, he's a fool.

We must help the people who approaches with respect for our sport. We must not be foolish.

"Hey f**king Canadian, Could you teach me your f**king sport, the f**king Ice Hockey which is a sport for fat millionaires from cool countries as Canada or USA. You could never play soccer because you're a spoiled child of the first world".

It's different to say:

Most football supporters here say bad things about rugby, they are disrespectful to our sport. Then, they don't deserve respect from rugby supporters IMO.

For example: @Sumo; he isn't interested in rugby, he just wrote here to fight with rugby supporters. He doesn't deserve respect from rugby supporters, he's a fool.

Pot. Kettle.

How can you act indignant over that when you show only contempt for football fans for no good reason

Conrad is a sort of mental patient who just run away from the asylum, don't take his comments seriously. Ahh! By the way, Conrad and Sumo is the same person.

Last edited:
My thinking is that Conrad was pretty terrible at football and was always picked last to play in school. The bitterness festered, leaving him the twisted empty shell of a human being we see today.

I have a Los Pumas jersey. Is it OK to wear it in any place of Argentina?

Of course.
The Adidas Pumas Jersey is great. Now with nike is kinda ****ty.

Only, would be "weird" if you go to play football with your mates wearing a rugby jersey. It is in the amateur environment where the rivalry exist maybe, there are the group of friends getting together to play football, and those who play rugby. And of course in any non "elitist" environment (or any place other than a rugby club ), always rugby will be see as an "invader" but not only rugby, also any other sport, rugby and basket ball are sports which are practice in clubs, football is play in any places by anybody. I don't know if your understand what Im saying.

I mean, a 5 years old kid who is playing football in the park whith his friend, maybe doesn't know anything about the rules, or he never watched a game.
And a 5 years old kid playing rugby in the park whith his friend, 99% sure he is in some club, or has a rugby player father.

Here you have some examples about using pumas jersey along a football fan :

Tennis (midd-upper class) crowd:
Copa-Davis-hinchada-argentina.jpg

As you can see, there's a black dude hiting the "drum" whith the working class football jersey, and just next to him there's a white aryan whith the Pumas jersey.

This, from 2010 FIFA WC in Southafrica (how appropiated):
DSCN1906.JPG

Here there are two blacks whith the football jersey, and an nordic girl whith pumas jersey all together.

And finally, the basketball fans, you can see, whites whith the pumas jersey, blacks whith the football jersey, and of course, mixed-bloods?) chinesses? whith the basket jersey:

foto_7664.jpg

The most "hostile" enviroment to rugby maybe are in Football League, in the local teams, specially in the stands, where there's the "barra brava" culture, which is indeed some kind a extreme and violence culture, associated to working class, yes. And one of the reasons, perhaps the main by the "educated" fans tend to hates the football culture (too radical).

Last edited:

It's different to say:

Maybe it has also something to do with their climate and culture... It hardly ever snows in South Africa, so why would we play ice hockey?

Also what about a guy like Conrad Jantjies? He played rugby, soccer and cricket, and got national colours in all 3 codes at junior level.

Humility is rare, but maybe you should look into it? Look at the Fifa World Cup thread. It's a bunch of multi-national rugby loving fans talking about soccer without disrespect. In fact it's proof that people who are passionate about sport and the culture of contest having a good discussion and sharing their views and interests.

If the guy is being ignorant, then ignore him or help him understand things better. Not always necessary to go on a pointless tirade every time, and in doing so, showing that are just as ignorant.

hey Conrad, listen man, this is clearly something to really get angry about, this part of the thread right here. Big words, including "contempt", "indignant", "twisted empty shell of a human being", and many other classics, have been thrown at you. So it's big. Oh it's big as hell (assuming Hell is a, like, really really big place).
So you have about 9 choices, but I'll only name one, just because:
don't reply to it. It'll only make them more angry and call you even bigger words (imagine !), you'll still think exactly the same regardless, and the oceans will be saltier.

It just...doesn't..really....material. Matter.
And I'm but a beautiful bird spreading the massage, or message, whichever, of the truthful loving happiness of un-procrastinating eternality.

Of course.

Only, would be "weird" if you go to play football with your mates wearing a rugby jersey. It is in the amateur environment where the rivalry exist maybe, there are the group of friends getting together to play football, and those who play rugby. And of course in any non "elitist" environment (or any place other than a rugby club ), always rugby will be see as an "invader" but not only rugby, also any other sport, rugby and basket ball are sports which are practice in clubs, football is play in any places by anybody. I don't know if your understand what Im saying.

I mean, a 5 years old kid who is playing football in the park whith his friend, maybe doesn't know anything about the rules, or he never watched a game.
And a 5 years old kid playing rugby in the park whith his friend, 99% sure he is in some club, or has a rugby player father.

As you can see, there's a black dude hiting the "drum" whith the working class football jersey, and just next to him there's a white aryan whith the Pumas jersey.

DSCN1906.JPG

Here there are two blacks whith the football jersey, and an nordic girl whith pumas jersey all together.

And finally, the basketball fans, you can see, whites whith the pumas jersey, blacks whith the football jersey, and of course, mixed-bloods?) chinesses? whith the basket jersey:

foto_7664.jpg

The most "hostile" enviroment to rugby maybe are in Football League, in the local teams, specially in the stands, where there's the "barra brava" culture, which is indeed some kind a extreme and violence culture, associated to working class, yes. And one of the reasons, perhaps the main by the "educated" fans tend to hates the football culture (too radical).

I'm not sure if I'm missing some sarcasm? Or if we're looking at totally different pictures here.... <_< hmm

Pot. Kettle.

How can you act indignant over that when you show only contempt for football fans for no good reason

I have given many reasons why most football supporters are ignorant about rugby.

You should re-read all my posts in this thread. Pictures uploaded by @ Sumo; in this thread are offensive to the rugby, you don't understand because you don't know Spanish. Tomorrow I will translate for you.

Of course.

DSCN1906.JPG

foto_7664.jpg

Sos tan pelotudo, en Argentina no existe la diferencia racial que puede existir en USA o en Sudafrica donde los pobres son ****** y la clase media es blanca. Ser negro en Argentina es diferente, Di Maria es un negro, Pablo Lezcano es un negro pero no por su color de piel. Ya le explique al boludo de Supermax que el mensaje está dirigido a neozelandeses, australianos, galeses, escoceses y de otras nacionalidades que tienen una idiosincrasia totalmente diferente a la argentina y jamas entenderían el mensaje sin haber vivido en Argentina. Una comparacion muy boluda la tuya.

A very silly comparison. I explained that the message is for people from other countries as a very different idiosyncrasies as Aussies, English, Welsh and others. It's the only way they understand the message

Maybe it has also something to do with their climate and culture... It hardly ever snows in South Africa, so why would we play ice hockey?

Also what about a guy like Conrad Jantjies? He played rugby, soccer and cricket, and got national colours in all 3 codes at junior level.

Humility is rare, but maybe you should look into it? Look at the Fifa World Cup thread. It's a bunch of multi-national rugby loving fans talking about soccer without disrespect. In fact it's proof that people who are passionate about sport and the culture of contest having a good discussion and sharing their views and interests.

If the guy is being ignorant, then ignore him or help him understand things better. Not always necessary to go on a pointless tirade every time, and in doing so, showing that are just as ignorant.

All my life I fought to end ignorance of football supporters about rugby in Argentina, but that is mission impossible. Then I renounce it, now I'm dedicated to defending the rugby of the ignorants.

It's like that I say you that you should end with the ignorance of the ANC and the racial quota of players. That's impossible, they are so ignorant and feel much hatred for the rugby, a white sport for him. In Argentina, people like @Sumo; are equal to the ignorant than ANC who are blinded by their hatred of rugby. I think we should defend rugby, in Argentina must defend of ignorant as @Sumo; and in South Africa you must defend rugby of ignorant as ANC in SA. Because rugby has taught us not to be afraid and to go forward, always.

Last edited:
All my life I fought to end ignorance of football supporters about rugby in Argentina, but that is mission impossible. Then I renounce it, now I'm dedicated to defending the rugby of the ignorants.

It's like that I say you that you should end with the ignorance of the ANC and the racial quota of players. That's impossible, they are so ignorant and feel much hatred for the rugby, a white sport for him. In Argentina, people like @Sumo; are equal to the ignorant than ANC who are blinded by their hatred of rugby. I think we should defend rugby, in Argentina must defend of ignorant as @Sumo; and in South Africa you must defend rugby of ignorant as ANC in SA. Because rugby has taught us not to be afraid and to go forward, always.

I think you are missing the point yet again. The ANC doesn't hate rugby. They like rugby actually. Their ignorance is with their ideology of the teams having a squad that is a representative of the demographic of the country.

I've said it so many times. Don't make comments about something you don't know anything about. Just stop.