• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the year 2012

This is a travesty! This award is a total joke. It should have gone to McCaw!

Its is weird as carter started off the season pretty average and got better and ended with a total shocker. McCaw had a case of the dropsys against Ireland but otherwise was almost superhuman.

Bakkies Botha was the obvious choice! Rigged. I blame Suzie.

Carter saved us in the second test against ireland. He was excellent against s.a and arg and scotland. Well deserved .

Remember when Schumacher repeatedly won the ***le and F1 became boring despite it being the era of the greatest ever?

Yeah, this award...

Remember when Schumacher repeatedly won the ***le and F1 became boring despite it being the era of the greatest ever?

Yeah, this award...

I have to agree with Mite here... I think the IRB awards shouldn't happen in the first place as there is no proper measuring tool as not every team plays against each other in a calender year.

I can understand if there is an award ceremony after a World Cup tournament choosing the player of the tournament or coach of the tournament. but to have this award ceremony IMHO is very much redundant.

also, it just works up PsychicDuck and ****** off the NH...

Crazy to think that Richie McCaw has not only won the award three times - he's now been nominated for it nine times since 2002.

Even though McCaw deserved it more.. Carter was just as much a contender... I mean, Dusautoir got it last year based on the RWC final (not just my opinion plenty people have mentioned this before me)... And as for the Coach and team,.. without sounding like a biased ass... who else could you have possibly given the awards to?.. The All Blacks lost once this year, guided by Hansen... yes I believe he got the rub of the green being the coach of the most consistent team there is but still... You gotta give the guy some credit.

Even though McCaw deserved it more.. Carter was just as much a contender... I mean, Dusautoir got it last year based on the RWC final (not just my opinion plenty people have mentioned this before me)... And as for the Coach and team,.. without sounding like a biased ass... who else could you have possibly given the awards to?.. The All Blacks lost once this year, guided by Hansen... yes I believe he got the rub of the green being the coach of the most consistent team there is but still... You gotta give the guy some credit.
I'd have given coach of the year to the Argentines.

They should do away with the IRB player of the Year award, it's been devalued since '09 when they changed the system so it would reflect NZ player of the year (Dusatoir's award in 2011 notwithstanding but we know that was a political sop after the ref robbed France in the final).

Last edited:
How did France rob New Zealand in the final? France was very lucky to get there at all. If Tonga had beat Canada then France wouldn't have even made the quarter-finals....

They should do away with the IRB player of the Year award, it's been devalued since '09 when they changed the system so it would reflect NZ player of the year (Dusatoir's award in 2011 notwithstanding but we know that was a political sop after the ref robbed France in the final).
Here we can see something of this robbery...

Last edited by a moderator:
This invariably happens. Then of course, how dare anyone make a counter accusation of a lack of graciousness/sour grapes from some forum members. :rolleyes:

Mmm, the result being that we end up being very called very 'precious' by defeding the All Blacks against blind criticism.

there's a lot of bull happening here, let's just be clear about certain things: that final was obviously suspect, everybody in the rugby world knows it, only NZ'ers have a problem with that notion. I mean in all sports, in every close match, especially if it's a SF or a final, you' ll hear this argument til the end of time and it may continue in the Heavens and Hell even, but here I'm talking OBVIOUS OBVIOUS no-calls....Crystal clear, so far...hmm ?
"Blind criticism" ?...that's the best argument you can come up with ?!....

Rhyer : yeah we sucked big time to have lost to Tonga, and I repeat: THANK YOU CANADA !! - but that's that, we then made it to the final and played an unbelievable game; wtvr happened before is the past, it's unrelated to an isolated reality like a final. I mean, with that logic, next time we win a 6N Grand Slam someone will yell "yeah but you lost to Tonga in 2011 !!" ^_^

And thx Superalexmarket for posting that vid, I saw a similar analysis from SH commentators - but this thread is the IRB Player of the Year thread and let's not get into this randomly...

However, I do like Colombia's comment: never thought about it this way, no mature honest man likes conspiracy theories and all that crap but this does actually seem plausible...!

Lulz.

I love World Cup sour grapes. Who can forget the whole nation of New Zealand collectively spazzing out at Wayne Barnes when they lost in 07'? Flash forward a cycle and the situation is entirely reversed. And this time round we had the added bonus of the Welsh *****ing at the French. Glorious.

Umanga is still a cheat mind.

Latest posts