• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Sevens Series- Wellington Leg

i thought scotland did well against nz

if you haven't seen it yet, scotlands last match was against Argentina, Argentina scored their first try straight away from the kick off, idk if thats a record for quickest sevens try or what, then Argentina scored another two tries back to back scotland didn't even get to touch the ball. After that i think the ref felt sorry and let them back into the game :D i think the game was 19-0 at half time, Scotland made a comeback in the second half to make it 19-14 but then Argentina scored a brilliant try and won 22-14

Fiji put up another big score against Canada, they're looking good but you can never tell with Fiji, one game they're brilliant the next they can be terrible. The team is new and for some of the players the inexperience did show at times, Burotu and Vucago have been Fiji's stand out players every game and they happen to be the only experienced players in the team, i just hope the inexperienced players can stay calm under pressure

btw some club really needs to sign Albert Levi from PNG, that guy is one of the quickest i've seen

can't wait for Samoa vs Australia and NZ vs Argentina, very nervous over Fiji vs South Africa, i think the last few times we played them we won by about 2 points and nearly lost in the last minute

Last edited:
wow Australia 29 - 5 over Samoa, i knew they could beat them. Incredible fitness and heart from Australia, every time a Samoan player got the ball he had at least 2 or 3 players around him tackling him and Australia were able to keep that up the entire match even when they had to run from end to end, great fitness.

unfortunately for us Fiji will play one of these two teams in the QF

I cannot begin to believe that we lost to PNG.
Please tell me that source I am getting this from is wrong.

I must be the luckiest guy in the world to have missed that match if so

I cannot begin to believe that we lost to PNG.
Please tell me that source I am getting this from is wrong.

I must be the luckiest guy in the world to have missed that match if so

I have to say PNG have looked bloody impressive. The Scotland result isn't as much of a suprise as it seems.
They impressed with their raw athleticism at the CW games, and now they have added a fair bit of rugby nouse to the team. They are offloading and throwing miricle passes like the Fijians used to in their heyday, and look to be one of the quickest alround teams in the tournament.

Scotland have showed that they are one of the very top sides on the circuit as far as forwards and rucking goes, but PNG blow them out of the water with their running and backplay.

I know I moaned a lot, but we did so well against NZ

Where did it all go wrong?

I have to say PNG have looked bloody impressive. The Scotland result isn't as much of a suprise as it seems.
They impressed with their raw athleticism at the CW games, and now they have added a fair bit of rugby nouse to the team. They are offloading and throwing miricle passes like the Fijians used to in their heyday, and look to be one of the quickest alround teams in the tournament.

Scotland have showed that they are one of the very top sides on the circuit as far as forwards and rucking goes, but PNG blow them out of the water with their running and backplay.
PNG are a team I've followed for quite a time now. I've got video footage of every match they've played in Wellington over the last 3 years, and the CW games. I can probably upload it if you like. They're a very impressive team. Their #6, I forget his name, is only like 18 years old, but he runs like lightening. It's such a shame they don't have the finances to compete in the other tornements, but they were bloody good in the CW Games. If I was a selector for a 2nd devision club in Europe or even NZ, I'd be snapping a few of them up.

Cook Islands were great against England, but I always thought they'd lose composure, which is a shame (who's the CI player who's been around for ages, but has an amazing step? I'm impressed with them every tornement).

Can't wait to hit town tomorrow.

PNG are a team I've followed for quite a time now. I've got video footage of every match they've played in Wellington over the last 3 years, and the CW games. I can probably upload it if you like. They're a very impressive team. Their #6, I forget his name, is only like 18 years old, but he runs like lightening. It's such a shame they don't have the finances to compete in the other tornements, but they were bloody good in the CW Games. If I was a selector for a 2nd devision club in Europe or even NZ, I'd be snapping a few of them u

I was really impressed with PNG at the CW, and I think the 18 year old you're talking about is called Tokavai? - His raw talent especially caught my eye, and agree that some sides should take a look at guys like him & offer them a decent rugby career. Huge pity PNG do not have the financial backing behind them, I feel with a little more they could be a side that competes up there with the best.
If you could upload the footage you have I for one would be interested in watching it.

I was really impressed with PNG at the CW, and I think the 18 year old you're talking about is called Tokavai? - His raw talent especially caught my eye, and agree that some sides should take a look at guys like him & offer them a decent rugby career. Huge pity PNG do not have the financial backing behind them, I feel with a little more they could be a side that competes up there with the best.
If you could upload the footage you have I for one would be interested in watching it.

Yeah, taking a look around now for ya. I've found last years Wellington 7's footage of PNG, CW Games and this year so far, I'm just trying to find the year befores. Tokavai is the dude I was talking about, good spot.

I too was impressed by PNG in the commonwealth games,
England have a good shot at getting to the final,
Should beat Argentina in the 1/4s, then have either Samoa or Fiji which will be tough, but not impossible

New Zealand have a harder route,
They should beat Wales fairly easily, but then have either Australia or South Africa

New Zealand vs Australia would be epic

i think Samoa vs Fiji is gonna be another scrappy game like SA, Fiji might complain about that game but Fiji's defence was great, it took SA 12 mins and 10 penalties in a row to finally score 1 try, Nacagilevu did fall off a couple tackles again though but his defence has improved. Fiji would have won if they had capitalized on their chances like the forward pass that could have been an easy try etc but makes no difference to the result. But with Samoa's size defending for that long should be a lot harder, i just hope the game isn't ruined by penalties like fiji vs sa was

PNG are a team I've followed for quite a time now. I've got video footage of every match they've played in Wellington over the last 3 years, and the CW games. I can probably upload it if you like. They're a very impressive team. Their #6, I forget his name, is only like 18 years old, but he runs like lightening. It's such a shame they don't have the finances to compete in the other tornements, but they were bloody good in the CW Games. If I was a selector for a 2nd devision club in Europe or even NZ, I'd be snapping a few of them up.

Cook Islands were great against England, but I always thought they'd lose composure, which is a shame (who's the CI player who's been around for ages, but has an amazing step? I'm impressed with them every tornement).

Can't wait to hit town tomorrow.

I think thats Koiatu Koiatu. I honestly think hes one of the best sevens players on the planet, its such a shame he played for the cook islands because it means he can only play one tournament a year and even then he doesn't have any support to speak of from the rest of his team. He turned out for Counties at the queenstown sevens a few years ago and completely dominanted all comers, he was literally walking around the feild embarrasing players at one stage.
I would definitely have him in the NZ squad if it was possible.

unlucky for fiji, if they had better handling they would have won, one of the players was being held back without the ball in that last play as well. samoa were too good at the kick offs and had better handling, their two bulldozers treveranus and faosaliva gave fiji a lot of trouble too. fiji came better in the later part of the game but wasted too many early opportunities with bad handling, there was the red card but even with the red fiji still had opportunities to score

Typical Samoa v Fiji game. Really slow, and stop-start type of games. I really thought Fiji would win this tournament.

Samoa did well and slowed the play right down and controlled ball for long periods. They benched Pesamino and put Treviranus on the wing. That was a good move.

Australia just beat South Africa 14 - 7. NZ up against Wales now, 7 - 0 to NZ.

Australia is now the team i want to win, i'm half fijian half kiwi and born and raised in nz, but i can't stand the nz sevens team, and australia are the under dogs so i'm backing them now.

Scotland have got to be the most mentally fragile team in rugby history

If you so much as whisper the word pressure, they collapse in a pile and look like they have just seen a ghost

Deary me

disappointed in australia, they're the better team but they look overawed by the occasion

Bloody hell. Well done NZ, walloped England 29-14 in the final.

How good is Declan O'Donnell? A hat trick in the final

Gordon Teitjens keeps unearthing these brilliant Sevens players. He is an effing genius!!!

Bloody hell. Well done NZ, walloped England 29-14 in the final.

How good is Declan O'Donnell? A hat trick in the final

Yeah he really caught the eye, which NZ province is he with?
(If he is even with a province))

that O'Donnell was good, England were hard done by with a couple calls though like the try they should have been allowed to score in the 1st half which the ref called a forward pass, and NZ's 3rd try which came from a crooked lineout throw, should have been called not straight but the ref let it go on and nz scored.

Latest posts