• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Women's World Cup 2014

So, exactly the same story as the mens sides for the PI's?

so is France going to put 50 points on Wales tonight ? How does this work, women's Rugby ? England and NZ win everything, no ? Wales any good ?

so is France going to put 50 points on Wales tonight ? How does this work, women's Rugby ? England and NZ win everything, no ? Wales any good ?

France are current 6n champs. They are probably 10 points better than Wales. So should be a good game.

England are struggling here they have lost all their shape... Nice try by Hunt there...

Danni Waterman... What a lovely break.

Last edited:
France starting to dismantle Wales here... Lovely back play.

Solid bonus point win for France, some exciting back play... Game lost a lot of it's shape due to a lot of reasons... But some solid rugby on the first day.

Last edited:
so I actually watched it as it was on TV with the fam tonight. Well the male section...it wasn't half as bad as I thought. I'd only watched very brief highlights of women's ovalness before, and this is my first full length match. Very entertaining. Turns out we put half of 50 past Wales after all...but it's funny, it felt like the old sentiment of watching France (men) play. Huge scrum (so satisfying to watch, I love scrums..), excellent lineout, very good back play, strong pack, hard-hitting forwards, tries being scored, and winning...it felt like watching a France game from the 2000's again...how fkn sad is that ?!! :lol: that I have to resort to watching women's ball to feel good again hahaha !...yeh well, I'm at *that* point right now, yep, yep...
At least three major occasions to score, really should've been a lot more...and the ref really did suck on a few plays. This is cool ! I've got something new and fresh to watch now that I actually enjoy...
Next up, the Springchicks on the 5th I see...

England 65 points on Samoa, whewwww...

France and England struggled to get into their stride, the quality of Samoa's first half was exceptional but they lost a lot fo their shape and it's hard to run your paterns and build a cohesive game against a side falling apart.

France looked good, nerves were clearly high and they left some points out there.

haven't seen more than highlights of the other but the Black Ferns were the Black Ferns. Pool C is looking very interesting, will be good to see the France Australia game.

Highlights here: http://www.rwcwomens.com/video/index.html

Here's the England vs Samoa Game (watch out for the red card at 20sec's):
<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/D6x-PC/s36Yr4yJZuYr/embed/select/zEG5CMV1sA7U" width="652" height="368" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Last edited:
Excellent win for France 4 tries to zero and a comfortable 26-0 bonus point win, although they have one hell of a group to get out of but they will do well!!!! Looks like the game will be against Australia and then its 80mins per game and if you want it badly.!!!!!!!!!! France playing at home is just what they need and now the first win is in the pocket the confidence will be high well played Montpellier and France!!!!!

Wow GN10, that "Lydia Thompson" no.11 chick, wtf !! Outrunning Samoans like that ?...Crazy pace........and wow that game wasn't nearly a contest, was it..I guess England will really get tested later, but this is a good start for them regardless of a red for Samoa early. It shows they can attack.

And yes clearly, about France. Being at home and playing their first game of the cup, they must have felt tremendous pressure to produce, as Wales weren't really a huge opponent. A lot of points left behind, too much precipitation and haste...unbelievable how the winger actually mishandled the ball like 10m from the line for e.g. But I'm sure they'll be less and less nervous as it goes and more clinical/accurate.
Allez les bleues !

I like that the game doesn't get so bogged down in recycling.

Fitness and structures means there is a lot more space so you get more tries from 1st phase etc... Spacial awareness is really good and the passing tends not to be huge miss passes etc... The kicking game has less impact as well.

It's a very different, in a lot of ways purer almost, version of the game.

I like that the game doesn't get so bogged down in recycling.

Fitness and structures means there is a lot more space so you get more tries from 1st phase etc... Spacial awareness is really good and the passing tends not to be huge miss passes etc... The kicking game has less impact as well.

It's a very different, in a lot of ways purer almost, version of the game.

agreed. From now on I'll be a women's Rugby fan exclusively and only occasionally catch up with what the men are doing. No but yeah you're right. Part of why this reminded me of 2000's France. A lot more fluid than today's congested game with kilograms playing such a primordial role.
Anyways, for anybody who's interested, video highlights of France Wales, not just tries but missed occasions:

[video]http://video.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/rugby-feminin-coupe-du-monde-resume-du-match-france-pays-de-galles_vid338103/video.shtml[/video]

South African Captain has been banned for 16 weeks: for acts of Foul Play contrary to Law 10.4(a) namely, striking a player with the fist or arm and Law 10.4(m) namely, acts contrary to good sportsmanship (contact with the eye(s) or eye area) in the match against Australia on August 1, 2014.

England Team for Spain:

15 Danielle Waterman (Bristol)
14 Kay Wilson (Bristol)
13 Claire Allan (Richmond)
12 Amber Reed (Bristol)
11 Lydia Thompson (Worcester)
10 Ceri Large (Worcester)
9 La Toya Mason (Wasps, vice-captain)

1 Claire Purdy (Wasps)
2 Victoria Fleetwood (Lichfield)
3 Sophie Hemming (Bristol)
4 Joanna McGilchrist (Wasps)
5 Rebecca Essex (Richmond)
6 Sarah Hunter (Lichfield, captain)
7 Marlie Packer (Wasps)
8 Alexandra Matthews (Richmond)

http://www.rfu.com/news/2014/august...rce=Social&utm_medium=media&utm_campaign=2014

actually eager for this tonight. Women's Rugby is cool man ! I don't know our chicks all that well but two main changes I noticed (lol, look at me talk about this like a pro...) our main 10 and our fastest winger, that Lièvre chick, not playing tonight.

I can't remember her name, but the girl who came on in the second half at 10 is the regular french 10, it was a big deal that she wasn't selected and the coach went for a more flair player as such.

Also to add the SA team is probably on par with Wales the 2 weaker pool teams, and the big pool match will be Australia so there has been 10 changes to give most of the team rest as every 4/5 days there is a game. On Eurosport there are 3 games on the trot today starting at 15.00 and France the last one on bothe Euro and France 4 tele. Elodie Poublan is the girl i think who came on.

Also to add the SA team is probably on par with Wales the 2 weaker pool teams, and the big pool match will be Australia so there has been 10 changes to give most of the team rest as every 4/5 days there is a game. On Eurosport there are 3 games on the trot today starting at 15.00 and France the last one on bothe Euro and France 4 tele. Elodie Poublan is the girl i think who came on.

I had to look it up, it was Christelle Leduff, she plays for USAP.

The lady who played on Friday was Sandrine Agricole, she plays for Bobigny - she's retiring after this competition.

Latest posts