• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Women's World Cup 2014

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
IRB Womens Rugby World Cup kicks off tomorrow. I have already bought tickets to the final at Stade Jean Bouin, which should be excellent with three games back to back leading into the final.

Black Ferns again looking strong, France are looking very business like and as 6nations champs will be hoping to make the semi's. England will be nervous about their recent form but should be too strong for most opposition, and Ireland will be confident of a top 4 finish.

All pool games, played at the Centre National de Rugby, Marcoussis which I can say from experience is an incredible place to play :

Bit disappointing some of the games overlap. SkySports are showing it in the UK, IRB are streaming it world wide (geo-blocked for countries where the rights have been sold)

I expect England, Canada, New Zealand, Australia to all get through their matches comfortably.

France vs Wales should be a humdinger, and the USA vs Ireland game should be interesting.

http://www.rwcwomens.com/index.html

here are the pools i'll update as it goes:

**EDIT: standings as of 09/08/14***
Pool A
Team W D L PF PA TF TA BP PTS
England 2 1 0 123 21 17 3 2 12
Canada 2 1 0 86 25 12 3 2 12
Spain 1 0 2 51 81 8 11 1 5
Samoa 0 0 3 15 148 2 22 0 0

Pool B
Ireland 3 0 0 80 36 10 4 1 13
New Zealand 3 2 0 1 127 25 20 3 3 11
USA 1 0 2 67 64 10 9 2 6
Kazakhstan 0 0 3 17 166 3 27 0 0

Pool C
France 3 0 0 98 6 15 0 2 14
Australia 2 0 1 54 23 6 2 0 8
Wales 1 0 2 38 54 4 7 1 5
South Africa 0 0 3 9 116 0 16 0 0

P=Played; W=Won; D=Draw; L=Lost; PF=Points For; PA=Points Against; TF=Tries For; TA=Tries Against; BP=Bonus Points; PTS=Points

Last edited:
New Zealand V Kazakhstan, has that ever happened in any sport?

Could be a smidge one sided.

England WRWC squad
Backs (12): Claire Allan (Richmond), Rachael Burford (Thurrock), Natasha Hunt (Lichfield), Ceri Large (Worcester), La Toya Mason (Wasps), Katy Mclean (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks) (Captain), Katherine Merchant (Worcester), Amber Reed (Bristol), Emily Scarratt (Lichfield), Lydia Thompson (Worcester), Danielle Waterman (Bristol), Kay Wilson (Bristol)

Forwards (14): Margaret Alphonsi (Saracens), Rochelle Clark (Worcester), Emma Croker (Richmond), Rebecca Essex (Richmond), Heather Fisher (Worcester), Victoria Fleetwood (Lichfield), Sophie Hemming (Bristol), Sarah Hunter (Lichfield) VC, Laura Keates (Worcester), Alexandra Matthews (Richmond), Joanna McGilchrist (Wasps), Marlie Packer (Wasps), Claire Purdy (Wasps), Tamara Taylor (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks)

Wales Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 squad

Forwards: Meg York (Blaenau Gwent), Caryl Thomas (Bath Ladies), Catrin Edwards (Bristol Ladies), Jenny Davies (Waterloo), Cerys Hale (Pontyclun), Lowri Harries (Neath Athletic), Carys Phillips (Bristol Ladies), Jenny Hawkins (Llandaff North), Shona Powell Hughes (Neath Athletic), Catrina Nicholas (Llandaff North), Sian Williams (Worcester), Sioned Harries (Llandaff North), Rachel Taylor (Bristol Ladies), Nia Davies (Cardiff Met).

Backs: Sian Moore (Bristol Ladies), Amy Day (Llandaff North), Elinor Snowsill (Bristol Ladies), Robyn Wilkins (Llandaff North), Rebecca De Filippo (Bristol Ladies), Elen Evans (Waterloo), Adi Taviner (Neath Athletic), Elli Norkett (Neath Athletic), Rafique Taylor (Pontyclun), Dyddgu Hywel (Bristol Ladies), Laurie Harries (Llandaff North), Philippa Tuttiett (Bristol Ladies).

Good few Bris Lasses on show, plus 2 for Ireland

SA women generally aren't into sports as much as most 1st world countries but I suppose we are only barely a 1st world country if at all. You won't hear anything about the women's world cup here. Literally, not a single mention on even the most obscure media source.

I noticed on the Common wealth medals table as well that SA 'd lie 3rd overall if you take out the women's medals for every country but drop down to 15th if you take away the mens' medals. C'mon, SA women, step it up! I have to say it is more a cultural thing than a testament to our women's abilities.

EDIT; Although maybe it has nothing to do with the 1st/3rd worldness of the country as I see Nigeria have 0 gold for the men but 6 for the women..

England team to face Samoa, they are going full strength from the off:

15 Danielle Waterman (Bristol)
14 Katherine Merchant (Worcester)
13 Emily Scarratt (Lichfield)
12 Rachael Burford ( Thurrock)
11 Lydia Thompson (Worcester)
10 Katy Mclean (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks)
9 Natasha Hunt (Lichfield)
1 Rochelle Clark (Worcester)
2 Emma Croker (Richmond)
3 Laura Keates (Worcester)
4 Joanna McGilchrist (Wasps)
5 Tamara Taylor (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks)
6 Heather Fisher (Worcester)
7 Margaret Alphonsi (Saracens)
8 Sarah Hunter (Lichfield)

Replacements:
16 Victoria Fleetwood (Lichfield)
17 Claire Purdy (Wasps)
18 Rebecca Essex (Richmond)
19 Marlie Packer (Wasps)
20 La Toya Mason (Wasps)
21 Ceri Large (Worcester)
22 Kay Wilson (Bristol)

SA women generally aren't into sports as much as most 1st world countries but I suppose we are only barely a 1st world country if at all. You won't hear anything about the women's world cup here. Literally, not a single mention on even the most obscure media source.

I noticed on the Common wealth medals table as well that SA 'd lie 3rd overall if you take out the women's medals for every country but drop down to 15th if you take away the mens' medals. C'mon, SA women, step it up! I have to say it is more a cultural thing than a testament to our women's abilities.

EDIT; Although maybe it has nothing to do with the 1st/3rd worldness of the country as I see Nigeria have 0 gold for the men but 6 for the women..

http://www.bdlive.co.za/sport/rugby/2014/07/31/tough-world-cup-opener-for-women-boks Tough group for Boks

yeah it's a good site, though i'm not sure how they can place england as the number 1 ranked side in the world when New Zealand are 4 times world champions and haven't lost in over 18 months...

I know NZ, Aus and England are pretty tough usually. Other than that I don't know anything; couldn't even name a single women's rugby player.

Canada have a good side. The U.S.A. aren't bad either, though not as good as they were 10-15 years ago.

Canada have a good side. The U.S.A. aren't bad either, though not as good as they were 10-15 years ago.

I couldn't find an official IRB ranking for womens rugby. Where would you say SA woud be? I'd imagine somewhere around 6th to 8th?

the scrumqueens ranking is here:

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/last-rankings-world-cup

personally i'd rank the top 20:
1 New Zealand
2 England
3 France
4 Canada
5 Ireland
6 United States
7 Wales
8 Australia
9 Italy
10 South Africa

Interestingly (for me) the Belgian women are ranked 20th, i used to coach a few of them when i lived there the leap from that level to the top 10 is huge! probably bigger than the mens.

the scrumqueens ranking is here:

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/last-rankings-world-cup

personally i'd rank the top 20:
1 New Zealand
2 England
3 France
4 Canada
5 Ireland
6 United States
7 Wales
8 Australia
9 Italy
10 South Africa

Interestingly (for me) the Belgian women are ranked 20th, i used to coach a few of them when i lived there the leap from that level to the top 10 is huge! probably bigger than the mens.

+1, tx for the info. I find it interesting that Aussie are so far down. Our position seems worse than I thought but not at all surprising. Playing rugby or some form of contact at an age grade level is all but a must if you want a good base to work form. In SA the closest thing to contact sport for women is field hocky or the few 'freaks' (not my opinion mind) who go in for something like Karate.

i think in most countries the women come to the game late... probably in Australia and New Zealand they come form atouch rugby background where they have excellent ball and footwork skills and just have to work on contact.

Australia have focused almost exclusivley on 7's since the last world cup so they are somewhat of an unknown right now.

The Netherlands is an interesting tea, they recruited extensively from Hockey and basketball - using the 10,000 equation for elite athletes as a recruitment ethos they have really targeted getting to Brazil in 2016 for the 7's.

France have an excellent team with no less than 7 Montpelleriennes selected France are Grand Slam Champions and could do well as they play all the games in Paris, all Frances games are televised, will miss tonights game as we in St Afrique for Montpellier v Clermont. France will not have a better chance to go all the way but there will be some tough games ahead for them.

indeed Gaston, they could do well but i think the actual ***le will be just out of reach. They've put a lot of work in this last 12 months, but I believe a Semi is certainly an achievable target and they could very well get to the final.

Today's results (will update as they come in):

New Zealand 79 - 5 Kazakhstan
Canada 31 - 7 Spain
Australia 21 - 3 South Africa
USA 17 - 23 Ireland
England 65 - 3 Samoa
France 26 - 0 Wales

Last edited:
F***ing hell that was a horrendous tip tackle - got to be a straight red for the Samoan player there.
Span England's 9 right onto her head at real pace.

Edit: Yep, she's gone.

Shame as Samoa have looked good so far, but playing with 14 for about 70minutes will be too much for them.

Latest posts