• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 6N 2022

Literally gave 2 examples if lads who shouldn't be in squad.
Other backs can feel more deserving.
At least main form guys are in
Sorry I just didn't understand what you meant, fair enough. I agree Haley has been good.

Sorry I just didn't understand what you meant, fair enough. I agree Haley has been good.
Haley full deserving to be in squad.
Like Earls (and I'm a friend and big fan of his) struggled last week and hadn't played much before then.
Like on form Haley fully deserving.
Chris Farrell has not been poor but agree Hume has been awesome. Lowry has been superb too.

Harry Byrne was the guy who had to be involved and al investment in him. (I never agreed with it) and now Carty has gone in to possibly be #2 as Joey won't be ready for start. No issues on this as Carty has been excellent lately BUT it is the constant changing of planning.

Larmour is very lucky to be in there too in my eyes.

This is what I'd like to see. In reality, I think Beirne will move to bench for POM (replacing Baird), and Ringrose, Bealham, Earls will replace Hume, O'Toole, Lowry. I think Baloucoune has a very real chance of starting considering Lowe is also out.

Boys, I have a feeling we're going to give Wales a hiding. I wasn't impressed by them at all last year, heck we nearly won in Cardiff if it wasn't for some Burns' madness at the end. Since then they've gone downhill and the provinces are dire. I appreciate this has always been the situation but it feels like the gap has widened and they had the rub of the green last year any Irishman would be envious of. The squad they announced felt very underwhelming, whereas we've got a situation where Conan and POM, B&I Lions, could very likely miss out due to pure competition.

Henderson also might miss out due to lack of game time but I'm assuming injuries aren't an issue for now. I hope Ryan brings that pure aggression we saw vs the All Blacks. Honestly I can't remember ever seeing him so fired up.

1: Porter
2: Kelleher
3: Furlong
4: Henderson
5: James Ryan
6: Beirne*
7: Van der Flier
8: Doris

9: Gibson-Park
10: Sexton
11: Conway
12: Henshaw
13: Hume*
14: Baloucoune
15: Keenan

16: Sheehan
17: Healy
18: O'Toole*
19: Baird*
20: Coombes*
21: Murray
22: Carbery
23: Lowry*

Oh, and I forgot the obligatory #JusticeForCooney
I think we're in a situation where we're trying to fit six into five in the back five of the scrum. The Leinster backrow, Ryan, Henderson and Beirne with POM and Coombes fighting it out for the 20 jersey.

I'd like to see Farrell take a page out of Joe's old Leinster playbook where he'd mix it up depending on opposition and whether we're home or away. POM is a great guy to bring on when at home, he'll jackal, secure ball and will positively affect the set piece. Coombes is probably a better option away from home where a bit of extra fire power after the hour when Porter and Furlong are coming off could be vital. I'd also be more inclined to start Beirne away from home where his breakdown contributions could be vital in securing the ball, and like POM use him to close games out when away.

If Baird could make the step up we could start using the 16, 19 and 20 shirts similarly to how SA use their bomb squad.

Like Earls (and I'm a friend and big fan of his) struggled last week and hadn't played much before then.

Chris Farrell has not been poor but agree Hume has been awesome. Lowry has been superb too.

Harry Byrne was the guy who had to be involved and al investment in him. (I never agreed with it) and now Carty has gone in to possibly be #2 as Joey won't be ready for start. No issues on this as Carty has been excellent lately BUT it is the constant changing of planning.

Harry is injured.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Larmour start on the wing, it's going to be him, Conway, Earls and Balacoune duking it out with the latter being the one who deserves it most. I haven't been massively impressed by Conway this season while Larmour has been having a good season with Leinster, it'll be interesting to see what criteria 3rd choice left wing is picked on and whether Balacoune has done enough in Farrell's eyes to oust Earls. It'd be fairly depressing if he hasn't considering he's one of Europe's form wingers and Earls turns 35 this year, great servant but he's on borrowed time as an international wing and won't have the body to perform highly through multiple tests.

Last edited:
If Beirne isn't starting for Ireland I think it's madness. Guy has been unbelievable this season.
I wouldn't say madness, we've got great quality in his positions to the point he could just miss out on merit. Doris, Conan, Ryan and Henderson are all great players having strong seasons too. It'll come down to gameplan for the first game and then fitness will probably become the selector fairly soon.

I agree Haley has been very good but it's not Earls who's ahead of him it's Lowry.

It's very hard to fit in Haley since he isn't a starter and he only plays 15.

Nah, on merit he is probably the form player in the country.
I wouldn't say madness, we've got great quality in his positions to the point he could just miss out on merit. Doris, Conan, Ryan and Henderson are all great players having strong seasons too. It'll come down to gameplan for the first game and then fitness will probably become the selector fairly soon.
I'd rather save my six nations energy for my annual bad faith argument with a brand new Welsh/English poster, so I'll agree to disagree with your malformed ****** little opinion. I don't think Beirne can be left out on form, ability or merit though. He's hit another level recently.

The form player in the country is Jack Carty, he has been since 2020.
Try 2017. The thinking man's Irish 15:

1. Porter
2. Delahunt
3. Furlong (50/50 with Bealham at the moment)
4. Dillane
5. Roux (overseas selection policy is a joke)
6. Prendergast
7. Oliver
8. Timoaney
9. Marmion (I'd bring on the fresh legs of Doak after 13 seconds to keep other teams on their toes)
10. Carty (c)
11. Hansen
12. McCloskey (even if injured he'd add more to the attack than route one Henshaw)
13. Hume
14. Zebo
15. Lowry

Balls.ie if you want to use this for another **** stirring article about overlooked players please credit me.

I agree Haley has been very good but it's not Earls who's ahead of him it's Lowry.

It's very hard to fit in Haley since he isn't a starter and he only plays 15.
Don't get me wrong I know that but Lowry is mentioned as possibility on wing too. Just think Haley deserved it.

@Le Frére Alpha I know Harry injured but was said Carty got in based on form. Harry was omitted on Carty form

So chance VDF won't be fit for Wales. Would presume POM would start in that case. Not a bad option as long as he doesn't repeat his last game vs the Welsh and he has been playing well. Part of me would love to play Timoney though. I think he'd really thrive with the systems we have in place and a good tight five.

If he wasn't before Beirne must be nailed on starter in the row as well given neither Henderson nor Ryan will have played in 2022.

So chance VDF won't be fit for Wales. Would presume POM would start in that case. Not a bad option as long as he doesn't repeat his last game vs the Welsh and he has been playing well. Part of me would love to play Timoney though. I think he'd really thrive with the systems we have in place and a good tight five.

If he wasn't before Beirne must be nailed on starter in the row as well given neither Henderson nor Ryan will have played in 2022.
Beirne is the form lock in Europe and well is durable. The other 2 are undercooked and hit and miss injury wise. No way both can start ahead of Beirne there.

Wouldn't mind leaving POM off bench and go Deegan Doris and Coombes for power

I've been a little underwhelmed with Henderson recently also. I know he does a lot of grunt work, lineout work etc but I'd love to see him get the opportunity to carry more.

Could Ryan & Beirne in the second row & Henderson at 6 ever work?

I appreciate we have enough quality in the back row to have a true 6 and it's not going to happen but it would be fun to see Henderson focus on carrying again.

Beirne is the form lock in Europe and well is durable. The other 2 are undercooked and hit and miss injury wise. No way both can start ahead of Beirne there.

Wouldn't mind leaving POM off bench and go Deegan Doris and Coombes for power
I'd like Doris & Coombes in the back row a lot.

Part of me would love to play Timoney though. I think he'd really thrive with the systems we have in place and a good tight five.
Same. I would be cool to see Timoney and Conan link up in loose play.

Timoney would be a loose shout. POM has been flying lately though so no real issues.

23 is a position that could be a tough pick. If Earls starts it'll probably be Larmour to cover wing and 15 in a bind. No Earls and you're looking at Aki with Conway/Larmour starting and covering 15. Aki and Lowry would be exciting but probably reckless also considering Sexton can't be expected to play 80.

Could Ryan & Beirne in the second row & Henderson at 6 ever work?

I think if those three are ever on the pitch at the same time it's always going to be Beirne at 6.

Henderson reportedly the only injury doubt at the moment anyway.

Timoney would be a loose shout. POM has been flying lately though so no real issues.

23 is a position that could be a tough pick. If Earls starts it'll probably be Larmour to cover wing and 15 in a bind. No Earls and you're looking at Aki with Conway/Larmour starting and covering 15. Aki and Lowry would be exciting but probably reckless also considering Sexton can't be expected to play 80.
23 depends on Joey C too. Joey is in 22 shirt then that allows back 3 to be covered also. But for me Aki and Ringrose are starting at Henshaw at 23 I believe. Just reading little Nuggets from Faz seems like that is the make up. But regardless for me Aki should never be 23.

He starts or he isn't in 23. Lowry is a good shout and in an emergency can cover 10 too.

Kelleher out for the rest of the tournament. Huge blow even though Sheehan is really good.
I could see Sheehan becoming the starter with a run of games. I reckon his size could be very useful if he became as effective as Kelleher against sides like France and SA.

Shame for Kelleher though, was stamping his name on the Jersey.

Latest posts