• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland A v England Saxons

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 3 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland A: 15. Duffy (Connacht), 14. Trimble (Ulster), 13. Cave (Ulster), 12. Matthews (Connacht), 11. McCrea (Ulster), 10. Sexton (Leinster), 9. Reddan (Wasps), 1. Healy (Leinster), 2. Cronin (Connacht), 3. Ross (Harlequins), 4. Casey © (London Irish), 5. Caldwell (Ulster), 6. Best (Northampton), 7. Jennings (Leinster), 8. Muldoon (Connacht)

Replacements: 16. Fogarty (Leinster), 17. Andress (Exeter), 18. Ryan (Munster), 19. O'Brien (Leinster), 20. Boss (Ulster), 21. Humphreys (Ulster), 22. Murphy (Munster)

Flabbergasted that Sexton is starting over Humphreys, nothing against Sexton but he's not playing for Leinster and Humphreys has been in great form for Ulster. Truly bizarre call, thought that him being left in the A squad initially meant he'd be a banker to start, obviously Kidney isn't impressed with what he's seen.[/b]
I agree with that. Sexton being picked in the extended full squad meant he was always likely to start for the A team over Humphreys even though it's the wrong call. Other than that, I'm quite happy with the team.

If You ask me, Humphreys should be benching in Croker on Saturday not benching in Donnybrook on Friday!! I thought the only reason he wasn't in the full squad was so he could get some game time under his belt for the A side. Crazy decision.

Donnacha Ryan can feel hard done by as well. He has gone from winning his first cap a few months ago against Argentina to warming the bench against England A. Again I thought he was sent to the A squad just for game time.

DK got it pretty much bang on when it comes to the team for France on Saturday but this selection is a bit baffling.

I've no problem with Ryan not getting his game, he isn't for Munster so Casey and Caldwell is a fair enough call for me, but then why the double standards with Sexton?

It's more that MOD is ahead of him than anything else. The same Mick O'Driscoll that can't get into a HEC 22 for Munster because or Ryan. When it comes down to Ability Vs. Gametime Humphreys and Ryan are ahead of Sexton and MOD on both counts IMO.

I think It's fair enough that Caldwell and Casey are ahead of him, but not O'Driscoll and O'Kelly.

England Saxons: N Abendanon (Bath); T Ojo (London Irish), D Waldouck (Wasps), J Turner-Hall (Harlequins), M Banahan (Bath); D Cipriani (Wasps), H Ellis (Leicester)/P Hodgson (London Irish); M Mullan (Worcester), D Paice (London Irish), D Wilson (Newcastle), J Crane (Leicester), G Skivington (Wasps, captain), C Robshaw (Harlequins), W Skinner (Harlequins), T Guest (Harlequins).

Replacements: R Webber (Wasps), D Cole (Leicester), S Hooper (Bath), P Dowson (Newcastle), P Hodgson (London Irish)/J Simpson (Wasps), S Myler (Northampton), D Strettle (Harlequins).

So Simpson gets the call for the bench should Ellis be required with the senior squad while Hodgson would start. Don't know a huge amount about the pack but if they provide enough of a platform you'd expect the backs should do some damage. A lot also depends on the state of the Donnybrook pitch what with the snow and all the schools games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 3 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's more that MOD is ahead of him than anything else. The same Mick O'Driscoll that can't get into a HEC 22 for Munster because or Ryan. When it comes down to Ability Vs. Gametime Humphreys and Ryan are ahead of Sexton and MOD on both counts IMO.

I think It's fair enough that Caldwell and Casey are ahead of him, but not O'Driscoll and O'Kelly.[/b]
Agreed re: O'Driscoll, disagree about O'Kelly who's been excellent this year. He's getting on in years but is performing at a high standard. O'Kelly deserves to be the 3rd lock in the full squad.

I wonder will this match still be played, been some amount of snow today and if that continues tomorrow then we might see it called off.

Chris Keane has been called onto the bench with Boss ruled out through a minor illness. Would have thought Murphy would be next in line after Boss and Reddan. At least Keane has plenty of benching experience this season!

Regarding the pack, Matt Mullan is a very good young player. His work rate is brilliant as well. The other prop, David Wilson, plays for Newcastle... says it all really.

Can't say I know too much about David Paice although his name has been thrown about when talking about the elite squad. Second Rows... lets skip those eh?

As for the back row, frankly its very good indeed. Chris Robshaw, along with Steffon Armitage, has been probably the best Flanker in the GP this season. Will Skinner is also held in high regard.

Pitch inspection was scheduled for 10am, since there's no news you can only assume that the game goes ahead

Chris Keane ahead of Frank Murphy? That is f***ing ridiculous. :eek:

Good news that the match is going ahead. should be a good one.

To be honest, I've pretty much resigned to defeat since I discovered we're gonna have Sexton vs Cribiani and a fairly class England back 3.

Looking for a good performance from a strong Irish pack (please God font-row be as good...we need props), and Darren Cave for whom I have high hopes.

Sexton certainly got the better of him the last time they went up against each other. It's not as if his form has been crap he just hasn't been given a chance by Cheika.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 6 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Chris Keane ahead of Frank Murphy? That is f***ing ridiculous. :eek:

Good news that the match is going ahead. should be a good one.[/b]
It does seem to be a crazy call. I'd place Keane behind Frank Murphy, Paul Marshall, Kieran Campbell and Mike Prendergast in the pecking order. I can only assume Keane is called up because he's based nearby whereas the other candidates are living much further away. If Boss pulled out earlier in the week, I'd expect another scrumhalf to have been called up.

looks like this could be off, England seem to have thrown a hiss fit once the ref passed the pitch fit.

ref said it was good to go 15 mins before kickoff but England had a hissy fit and put pressure on him to cancel the game, ridiculous stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 6 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In that case, I'm turning this thread into a Scotland v Wales U20 match commentary.

HT Score: 6 - 10 to Wales after a try late into HT.[/b]

on your bike this thread is gonna be all about England being pussys cause it's a little cold in Dublin.

Latest posts