• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland RWC 11 Thread

On SOB at 7 - No it's been clear to see at Leinster he can be a good 7 but SOB is worldclass when at 6 and can be silenced easily at 7.

On Training Squad - This squad is a bit mediocre in my opinion. Lets not forget we (the provinces) get these players back a few times too to work with them. These are only for 3 camps the squad is in use. I'm surprised Muldoon was left out more so than Shane Horgan too as in fairness Deccie never seemed interested in Horgan but has a liking for Muldoon, I would've maybe had him ahead of McCarthy.

On SOB at 7 - No it's been clear to see at Leinster he can be a good 7 but SOB is worldclass when at 6 and can be silenced easily at 7.

On Training Squad - This squad is a bit mediocre in my opinion. Lets not forget we (the provinces) get these players back a few times too to work with them. These are only for 3 camps the squad is in use. I'm surprised Muldoon was left out more so than Shane Horgan too as in fairness Deccie never seemed interested in Horgan but has a liking for Muldoon, I would've maybe had him ahead of McCarthy.

Oh I don't know about that. He was fairly impressive at seven against Leicester and Toulouse.

Oh I don't know about that. He was fairly impressive at seven against Leicester and Toulouse.
Disagree he was good at 7 BUT (as well as in the Final too) he is a way better 6 and more influencial on games from 6.
He is a fine 7 but Sean O'brien's influence only is used to it's max when he operates from 6.

Don't know how to edit as it seems to have vanished off screen,
But SOB is a good 7 and if we picked him there he would be good but we wouldn't be getting full value off him.
If I remember he played the majority of Leicester game at 7 and was OK at best. But in SF and Final he really did his damage when Jennings was introduced and he moved to 6.

Ferris it seems will have off the field problems if this case drags on. As for SOB he is in top form at 6 so even if Ferris is fit it shouldn't be an automatic start as he has to earn jersey back. Wallace and SOB are the 2 that finished on form and on top of their games

I would quite like to see SOB at 8 again. Heaslip has already nailed down the 8 jersey at the moment and he is one of our best players but if he gets injured I would like to see our best option to replace him. SOB played 8 against Italy and won MOTM but I would like to see how he plays now that he has more experience. It will be a great competition for backrow places and I would probably take Jennings, Heaslip, SOB, Wallace, Ferris and Donnacha Ryan as our second/back rower.

Just shows the work the man gets through in about 4 matches or so

Last edited by a moderator:
well still got a few warn up matches to test ferris out , I think he'll do grand , I have utter confidence he will start.
I'd like to see heaslip at 7 , he's a really good rucker , that leaves room for ferris and o'brien (only a quick thought , probably won't work , just think it would be interesting to see )

well still got a few warn up matches to test ferris out , I think he'll do grand , I have utter confidence he will start.
I'd like to see heaslip at 7 , he's a really good rucker , that leaves room for ferris and o'brien (only a quick thought , probably won't work , just think it would be interesting to see )

Heslip is an 8. If you want Ferris and SOB together you play SOB a 7 and Ferris at 6. It's great place to be in terms of backrow and there's still more coming through.

No O'Brien at 7 please having either him or Ferris coming iff the bench will be brilliant against tired legs.

The same if we had Wallace coming off the bench against tired legs. The options we have for backrow are immense probable the most depth/quality in the NH and maybe the world.

Definatley I just feel since SO'B has to work as a linkman at 7 he doesn't carry enough.

He's better at 6 for sure but the can do equally well at y IMO. Last season when Jennings was banned he really shined at 7, but having said that i think you may be right if the back row was 6. Ferris 7. SOB 8. Heslip we would need another ball carrier.

I think the 6 and 8 slots pick themselves to be honest. For as much as I like Fez he hasn't been playing and SOB is the in-form player in the Northern Hemisphere. He has to start at 6. Heaslip at 8 and then either Wally or Jenno at 7. Wally is a third ball carrier (and in supreme form right now) but Jennos ability at the breakdown and as a link player this season has been outstanding. I reckon both could be utilised throughout the campaign effectively. For the big games Fez would be lucky to get into the match-day 22 I think. That's no reflection on anything other than his lack of game time and the ridiculous number of options available to us in the back row.

Ferris will need to work hard to get into the team but every time I think about him, I think of how good he was before he got injured. He was our best player in the AI and scored 2 tries one against the all blacks. He was brilliant for Ulster and his height could be an asset in the back row. I actually think he is more physical than SOB and this is why I think he could be killer off the bench but I would not deny him a spot ahead of either Wallace if he can play his way into the first team.

Although he is getting old I would like to see Wallace starting ahead of Stephen ferris.

Latest posts