• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2017/18

The jury's still out on Beirne, look what happened with Copeland. Now I'll admit I haven't seen a lot of Beirne but maybe he was just lucky to join a team that suits his game. It's odd that he became an incredible player in a season. Anyway we'll see what happens at Munster.

Beirne was an excellent player alongside Henderson at u20s. The big problem was that he didn't have the MASS to fulfill the same role at senior level consistently. He needed the few years to bulk up and with the load of injuries the reset button was basically being hit a bunch of times. He had a season basically without injury for Leinster before being let go but that's basically a year of finding your feet after that long out. What he's doing now is probably only slightly above what was expected, just with a staggered development.

I don't think he's going to be a saviour (that's Jimbo Ryan) but he definitely can be a decent international and good European player putting him above Copeland.

Beirne was an excellent player alongside Henderson at u20s. The big problem was that he didn't have the MASS to fulfill the same role at senior level consistently. He needed the few years to bulk up and with the load of injuries the reset button was basically being hit a bunch of times. He had a season basically without injury for Leinster before being let go but that's basically a year of finding your feet after that long out. What he's doing now is probably only slightly above what was expected, just with a staggered development.

I don't think he's going to be a saviour (that's Jimbo Ryan) but he definitely can be a decent international and good European player putting him above Copeland.
Jesus, what did he do? Date your cousin or something? Get your nose out of his ass.

Jumping the gun on Ulster here because I won't be able to watch the match but my skwad for Autumn would be this;

Props: Bent, Furlong, Healy, McGrath, Ryan

Hooker: Best (Tracy if he doesn't prove fitness), Cronin, Scannell

Lock: Treadwell, Henderson, Ryan, Toner, Roux (Reckon Beirne could get a call up in his place as he's Munster bound?)

Backrow: Conan, O'Brien, Murphy, O'Mahony, Stander, Van der Flier, Leavy

Scrum Half: Murray, Cooney, McGrath

Out Half: Sexton, Keatley, Byrne

Centre: Henshaw, Aki, McCloskey, Scannell

Back Three: Earls, Payne, Zebo, Carbery, Stockdale, Conway (Throw RO'L dependent on whether Conway is seen primarily as a wing or FB in if Payne can't get fit)

I think all these goons are fit although I'm noticing that Les Kiss has taken the tactical decision to drop Stockdale showing his revered coaching skill... Doubt that will have an impact on the kid beating the two octogenarians up north to the spot though, a new look back three is needed badly.

17 Ster
10 Munster
7 Ulster
2 Connacht

Jumping the gun on Ulster here because I won't be able to watch the match but my skwad for Autumn would be this;

Props: Bent, Furlong, Healy, McGrath, Ryan

Hooker: Best (Tracy if he doesn't prove fitness), Cronin, Scannell

Lock: Treadwell, Henderson, Ryan, Toner, Roux (Reckon Beirne could get a call up in his place as he's Munster bound?)

Backrow: Conan, O'Brien, Murphy, O'Mahony, Stander, Van der Flier, Leavy

Scrum Half: Murray, Cooney, McGrath

Out Half: Sexton, Keatley, Byrne

Centre: Henshaw, Aki, McCloskey, Scannell

Back Three: Earls, Payne, Zebo, Carbery, Stockdale, Conway (Throw RO'L dependent on whether Conway is seen primarily as a wing or FB in if Payne can't get fit)

I think all these goons are fit although I'm noticing that Les Kiss has taken the tactical decision to drop Stockdale showing his revered coaching skill... Doubt that will have an impact on the kid beating the two octogenarians up north to the spot though, a new look back three is needed badly.

17 Ster
10 Munster
7 Ulster
2 Connacht
For 1st time ever Alpha I think we are both in agreement on a squad. Only maybe Marshall may get added in centres too. Maybe not.

Ringrose has been ruled out of all three of November's games with his rehab. Probably to be expected, but a shame all the same.

Saw that, obviously a huge loss but it'll be good to get Aki, Scannell or McCloskey some significant caps while seeing what Henshaw can do in a wider channel.

Don't think Beirne will be in with not being released for training camps etc.

To be honest I though it was always case Ringrose realistic target eas Leinsters European games in December. Beirne won't be in before summer. Dillane may get the spot but Ryan Toner Treadwell Roux and Henderson will fill void.

Centre selection will be interesting too.
I'm kind of underwhelmed by November as I think Ireland will win all 3 games comfortably

To be honest I though it was always case Ringrose realistic target eas Leinsters European games in December. Beirne won't be in before summer. Dillane may get the spot but Ryan Toner Treadwell Roux and Henderson will fill void.

Centre selection will be interesting too.
I'm kind of underwhelmed by November as I think Ireland will win all 3 games comfortably
Ah I don't know that South Africa will roll over to be tickled by us honestly. They're at the end of a long season, but you can look at that as them being fatigued or alternatively having had a lot of time together, and they've undoubtedly found a bit of form towards the end of the RC. Would definitely be a game I hope we hit full strength. Losing at home to Australia and SA is something we can't let happen if we consider ourselves a top 3 side.
I'm expecting an easy enough run out against the Argies to be honest, but they'll probably ruin another World Cup for us at some stage in some sort of uneven revenge.

I'm a fan of Simon Zebo as a player but if the IRFU want to make a statement that a move abroad is an international career killer, he shouldn't be selected this November.

I'm a fan of Simon Zebo as a player but if the IRFU want to make a statement that a move abroad is an international career killer, he shouldn't be selected this November.
They've already set precedent of selecting guys by picking Ian Madigan in past after they announced departures

You could equally argue that Donnacha Ryan was the precedent. Moves to France, is omitted from Ireland's summer tour.

We're two years out from a World Cup. Simon Zebo won't go to Japan 2019 due to his move. In 2015, Ireland failed because they didn't have enough depth. Selecting Zebo for the next 6 months delays the opportunity to develop depth by picking Andrew Conway, Joey Carbery, Tiernan O'Halloran or Jacob Stockdale.

If the IRFU are in contract negotiations with a lot of players at this time of year, not picking Zebo for the international team for November sends a strong message that a move abroad immediately casts you aside.

I don't want Zebo involved. Our quality won't dip much with him gone and I'd like Munster to get the best out of him while he's here. You move you lose your right to play. Unless we have serious injury crisis, you shouldn't be picked and players understand that.

Madigan was a late call up to that SA tour and during the 6 nation's had more than twice as many as caps as PJ who was sitting at less than 10 so he probably got the 22 shirt out of Schmidt's fear of capping inexperienced players in the 6n.

I'd rather we didn't use him, I think we have better 15's in Carbery and TO'H with Conway his equal and better wings in Stockdale and Earl's with Conway, Sweets, RO'L and Daly all not so far behind that it would hinder the squad. I wouldn't rule him out of the 6n though if he was required.

You could equally argue that Donnacha Ryan was the precedent. Moves to France, is omitted from Ireland's summer tour.

We're two years out from a World Cup. Simon Zebo won't go to Japan 2019 due to his move. In 2015, Ireland failed because they didn't have enough depth. Selecting Zebo for the next 6 months delays the opportunity to develop depth by picking Andrew Conway, Joey Carbery, Tiernan O'Halloran or Jacob Stockdale.

If the IRFU are in contract negotiations with a lot of players at this time of year, not picking Zebo for the international team for November sends a strong message that a move abroad immediately casts you aside.
Not disagreeing just saying.
In summer Ryan was out of contract before internationals. His deal expired May 31

Latest posts