Ireland Summer Tour NZ 2022

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Three tests have been confirmed with two further games against the Maori heavily rumoured. A 42 man squad seems to be the expected squad size. Will be interesting to see some of the edge players brought along. There will be those who argue senior citizens like Sexton should be left at home and given the summer off but I don't think the IRFU would let this happen nor should it. Winning a test or even a series in NZ would be huge and we can still adapt and rotate once out there.

I think currently I'd be looking at:

Loosehead: Porter, Healy, Josh Wycherley

- not sure on Kilcoyne's status? Wouldn't want to bring two old men anyway. Wycherley is playing mostly good stuff but with his size he's going to have to get his scrummaging up to a ridiculous level.

Hooker: Kelleher, Sheehan, Herring

- don't think there's really anyone else in the conversation yet.

Tighthead: Furlong, Bealham, O'Toole, Moore

- Moore mostly as a safety blanket but don't think he's a Farrell player. Won't be Ryan with him leaving, nit sure if Archer fits either and Clarkson is still pretty raw.

Secondrow: Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Baird, Ahern, McCarthy

- Think three of these have question marks around fitness but are expecting them to be fit. If we had any Connacht fans on the board I think they'd be annoyed at no Murray or Thornbery but Ahern and McCarthy are both playing well and have rare traits.

Backrow: Conan, Van der Flier, Doris, O'Mahony, Timoney, Coombes, Prendergast, Hodnett/Kendellen

- don't think there should be much controversy here. Lots to like.

Scumhalf: Gibson-Park, Murray, Casey, Doak

- Doak mostly as an apprentice, his youth and potential edging him over Blade.

Outhalf: Sexton, Carbery, Healy

- Healy is really improving a huge amount, Harry needs a proper pre-season anyway...

Centre: Henshaw, Ringrose, Hume, Aki, Frawley

- again don't think there's anyone else near these guys.

Backthree: Keenan, Hansen, Lowe, Baloucoune, Lowry, Conway

- could make arguments for a few others like Haley, JOB, McIlroy, Larmour etc and I wouldn't mind hugely as long as the first four go.

Three tests have been confirmed with two further games against the Maori heavily rumoured. A 42 man squad seems to be the expected squad size. Will be interesting to see some of the edge players brought along. There will be those who argue senior citizens like Sexton should be left at home and given the summer off but I don't think the IRFU would let this happen nor should it. Winning a test or even a series in NZ would be huge and we can still adapt and rotate once out there.

I think currently I'd be looking at:

Loosehead: Porter, Healy, Josh Wycherley

- not sure on Kilcoyne's status? Wouldn't want to bring two old men anyway. Wycherley is playing mostly good stuff but with his size he's going to have to get his scrummaging up to a ridiculous level.

Hooker: Kelleher, Sheehan, Herring

- don't think there's really anyone else in the conversation yet.

Tighthead: Furlong, Bealham, O'Toole, Moore

- Moore mostly as a safety blanket but don't think he's a Farrell player. Won't be Ryan with him leaving, nit sure if Archer fits either and Clarkson is still pretty raw.

Secondrow: Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Baird, Ahern, McCarthy

- Think three of these have question marks around fitness but are expecting them to be fit. If we had any Connacht fans on the board I think they'd be annoyed at no Murray or Thornbery but Ahern and McCarthy are both playing well and have rare traits.

Backrow: Conan, Van der Flier, Doris, O'Mahony, Timoney, Coombes, Prendergast, Hodnett/Kendellen

- don't think there should be much controversy here. Lots to like.

Scumhalf: Gibson-Park, Murray, Casey, Doak

- Doak mostly as an apprentice, his youth and potential edging him over Blade.

Outhalf: Sexton, Carbery, Healy

- Healy is really improving a huge amount, Harry needs a proper pre-season anyway...

Centre: Henshaw, Ringrose, Hume, Aki, Frawley

- again don't think there's anyone else near these guys.

Backthree: Keenan, Hansen, Lowe, Baloucoune, Lowry, Conway

- could make arguments for a few others like Haley, JOB, McIlroy, Larmour etc and I wouldn't mind hugely as long as the first four go.
On this. Josh W should 100% go. Agree he has to bulk up hugely but is the best of the bunch behind Healy and Porter. Kilcoyne out.

Hooker I think there could be a gamble on Barron if looking very far ahead as a squad player but again it basically approaching from different angle.

THP - Ryan should go as 3rd choice but won't as he is leaving. IF Furlong goes down we are screwed effectively.

Lock - From Munster POV Ahern should definitely go. But out of all locks you mentioned there apart from Henderson there is no real grunt lock. Kleyn has had a superb season and may get on the flight. But we need that type of guy. Moloney may get that if he get strong finish.

Backrow. - Kendellen is after really leapfrogging alot. Jack O'Donoghue may get in too after superb season. But competition is unreal.

9 - Real picks itself

10 - Harry is nowhere near it but Frawley deserves that 3rd 10/12 role. Agree Ben Healy should go as he will be much stronger after last Saturday and has a huge boot which we may need sometimes. Like I'd be careful with how they manage Sexton too. If game won or lost replace him and spare him.

12/13 - McCloskey has some good form as has Tom Farrell. But will they get in.

Back 3. I think Haley has to go as he is our 2nd best 15. And while I think Earls goes if he doesn't retire I think JOB could be a player to watch,

Will be interesting 1. How many players are brought and 2. how they approach 3 tests. Will they target 1 I wonder

Joe McCarthy is absolutely a 'grunt' lock and those are the traits I was referring to him having.

I like that selection a lot, mostly cos I can't be aggrieved from a Munster POV, bar maybe Haley, who is. Avictim of being a 15 only. Think Kendellens versatility will see him make squads earlier than Hodnett and on top of that I think Hodnett will be touch and go fitness wise.

SA, Fiji and Australia now confirmed for the AI. Nice slate of tests, feels like an age since we've played SA and Aus.

Strange that we're playing SA with them.in our pool a year later. I'm pretty sure we usually avoid that.

Three good challenges though, no easy games left for us between now and the world cup so every minute needs to be used well.

Lock - From Munster POV Ahern should definitely go. But out of all locks you mentioned there apart from Henderson there is no real grunt lock. Kleyn has had a superb season and may get on the flight. But we need that type of guy. Moloney may get that if he get strong finish.
Very prescient.

I'd imagine after the weekend, there will be serious ponderings on Moloney.

Very prescient.

I'd imagine after the weekend, there will be serious ponderings on Moloney.
Moloney is a good player wouldn't be upset if he is tested.

The question is will many get tested in a test game.

Unless Ireland choose to experiment a bit (e.g. depth at 10) then they should be looking to win a test here, minimum. NZ will surely have to experiment after a dire EOYT series (by their amazing standards) and have retained a seemingly failing coach. I'm not liking what I'm seeing from them in Super Rugby either, which will limit Foster's options. It's all a far cry from the days their 3rd XV would arguably still be better than any other team. They are definitely mortal and a settler Irish side with an all weathers gameplan should definitely be looking to make a bit of history and get some ruddy confidence in big games before the RWC.

Good money to be made here, can't see the all blacks winning the series.

Will be interesting to see who's available too; definitely not mckenzie ,probably not moody, alb, Clarke, not sure about rieko, cane, de groot, tuipolotu. Karl is going overseas. I think retallick will be back. And then we've got four more rounds of super rugby for some other injuries to mount up.

But plenty of choices to be made, especially at midfield. If they are going to consider both rts and Jordie as options then they'll have to give game time to both of them as both haven't played in the midfield at test level. Goodhue has looked pretty good so far in his couple of games back from injury. Havili hasn't starred and nor is there anyone in the country who would form a good midfield with him (although maybe an umaga jensen could work) so he's unlucky in that respect.

Maori could be interesting, hopefully not too many injuries and any non test players can be released from the all blacks.

Last edited:
Unless Ireland choose to experiment a bit (e.g. depth at 10) then they should be looking to win a test here, minimum. NZ will surely have to experiment after a dire EOYT series (by their amazing standards) and have retained a seemingly failing coach. I'm not liking what I'm seeing from them in Super Rugby either, which will limit Foster's options. It's all a far cry from the days their 3rd XV would arguably still be better than any other team. They are definitely mortal and a settler Irish side with an all weathers gameplan should definitely be looking to make a bit of history and get some ruddy confidence in big games before the RWC.
Yep, gone downhill in super rugby. Watching Leinster and then super rugby you can see the different level our players are playing at week in week out. The all blacks can only hope for individual brilliance from the likes of jordan, Clarke and ione. But wait, two of them might not be available.

Yeah I think we need to set out to win one game, two is highly optimistic though.

I'm a bit worried insofar as the six nations was deemed a success even though we lost when we had our second best performance and we were very laboured at times when we should have really put the foot down against England and Italy. Some people are talking us up alongside France and I don't think we're that close.

Looks like the squad is due to be announced next Wednesday.

Carty and Lowry appear to be ruled out. Anyone else?

I reckon Ireland win 3-0. No joke. There is literally no reason why they shouldn't be looking to do that to the All Blacks right now. The ABs don't have an identity, they don't know who their starting 10 is, or their centres, raw talent will not save us here. We are going to be unprepared for the system and game Ireland bring like they always are.

Yeah, prior to Leinster losing the Heineken cup I would have thought the all blacks would only really have a chance in game 3, when the series was already over. All blacks would have learnt from last year too, and on the injury front things aren't looking so bad after all. Still I'd put my money on Ireland, but I think we are a chance.

NZ are massive favourites, I don't think we'll win a game. A lot of key players fighting injuries, out of form and low on confidence. Provincial form isn't always a great indicator but unless Farrell is a magnificent player manager or lumps in a few of the Ulster lads playing good stuff I don't see what he can do.

Didn't realise Leinster lost their pro 14 semi too. Who are the injured players?

Presumably the bulls beat Leinster the same way La Rochelle has twice now, and how saracens had previously, and how france and england have at times against Ireland in recent years. Worth noting that that is the direct opposite of the response the all blacks have had to losing to Ireland in 2018, and probably now too. We determined we needed more mobile forwards with better ball skills. Dropped franks for that reason, and looks like we let big Karl go overseas for the same reason.

Maori all blacks unfortunately have half of their last years squad currently injured or otherwise unavailable. Hopefully some of those players can come back.

Last edited:

Latest posts