• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v France

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Feb 9 2009, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What a load of dross...You probably forgot to take you green glasses off. The penalty count is 12 to 2 for France, with the 2 pens agains Ireland in the last five minutes, when Ireland were never gonna loose.Teh last time we saw a team infringing twice in a game is a certain quarter final where the referee wasn't really impartial. How is it that french killing the ball is called cynical yet when Ireland players do it it's called "street-wise" ? f***in' double standards...
If you watched carefully you probably also saw the Irish players on the wrong side of the ruck, laying hands on the ball all day long, without even advantage given by the clown with the whistle... He gave plenty of warnings for sure ( rool away green etc) but when France were on defense he went directly to the whistle...

Ex: at the 8 minute, Dusautoir gets tackled by Heaslip and O'Gara, goes to groud, O'gara falls the wrong way killing the ball and Owen goes " Hands away blue" and gives the scrum to Ireland ...Wtf ? :angry:
Can you point exactly when France tried to steal the ball in the ruck please ? I' very curious.
If you ask me France played very well the referee, which is to say we would have got binned for sure if we did but a fraction of what the Irish did.[/b]

I was fully aware of the penalty count when I wrote the above statement. The one obvious one I spotted was probably the same as you mentioned above. O'Gara was lying all over the ball on our own 5 yard line, and instead of pinging the obvious penalty, he somehow gave a scrum to Ireland. Twas a poor decision that could have made a difference to the game.

Aside from that I still stand by what I said. Owens was consistent. He pinged you guys time and time and time and time again for either sealing the ball or wandering a mile offside. Where Ireland obviously understood what his pet hates are and played away from them, the French didnt cop, even after they had been penalised quite a few times. Blaming the ref for performing like Wayne Barnes is one thing, blaming him because your own team consistently get it wrong is another.

Even your own players and management have acknowledged the same. Owens was consistent, Ireland played him well (when told to, they moved and fast), France didnt. Hence a 12-2 penalty count.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 9 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Feb 9 2009, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a load of dross...You probably forgot to take you green glasses off. The penalty count is 12 to 2 for France, with the 2 pens agains Ireland in the last five minutes, when Ireland were never gonna loose.Teh last time we saw a team infringing twice in a game is a certain quarter final where the referee wasn't really impartial. How is it that french killing the ball is called cynical yet when Ireland players do it it's called "street-wise" ? f***in' double standards...
If you watched carefully you probably also saw the Irish players on the wrong side of the ruck, laying hands on the ball all day long, without even advantage given by the clown with the whistle... He gave plenty of warnings for sure ( rool away green etc) but when France were on defense he went directly to the whistle...

Ex: at the 8 minute, Dusautoir gets tackled by Heaslip and O'Gara, goes to groud, O'gara falls the wrong way killing the ball and Owen goes " Hands away blue" and gives the scrum to Ireland ...Wtf ? :angry:
Can you point exactly when France tried to steal the ball in the ruck please ? I' very curious.
If you ask me France played very well the referee, which is to say we would have got binned for sure if we did but a fraction of what the Irish did.[/b]

I was fully aware of the penalty count when I wrote the above statement. The one obvious one I spotted was probably the same as you mentioned above. O'Gara was lying all over the ball on our own 5 yard line, and instead of pinging the obvious penalty, he somehow gave a scrum to Ireland. Twas a poor decision that could have made a difference to the game.

Aside from that I still stand by what I said. Owens was consistent. He pinged you guys time and time and time and time again for either sealing the ball or wandering a mile offside. Where Ireland obviously understood what his pet hates are and played away from them, the French didnt cop, even after they had been penalised quite a few times. Blaming the ref for performing like Wayne Barnes is one thing, blaming him because your own team consistently get it wrong is another.

Even your own players and management have acknowledged the same. Owens was consistent, Ireland played him well (when told to, they moved and fast), France didnt. Hence a 12-2 penalty count.
[/b][/quote]

When Heymans doesn't release the ball, in our 22, 10 minutes to the end, right after a Beauxis drop goal which takes us to only 6 points, nothing can be said against the ref.

and you knew well who the ref was prior to the game so for players not to know his strengths and weaknesses or certainly management is not on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and you knew well who the ref was prior to the game so for players not to know his strengths and weaknesses or certainly management is not on.[/b]

You do realise that you are implying that the ref was biased against us...

@Gringo: the ref pinged us logically but I canot believe Ireland didn't infring once until the 75'...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Feb 9 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and you knew well who the ref was prior to the game so for players not to know his strengths and weaknesses or certainly management is not on.[/b]

@Gringo: the ref pinged us logically but I canot believe Ireland didn't infring once until the 75'...
[/b][/quote]

no that's not what I'm saying, what I am implying is that we played the ref better than the French did, as I said we all knew who the ref was so why the French didn't play to that I don't know.

Sorry, I know you guys are in the middle of an argument here, but I live overseas where I have to wait to see these matches and I just watched this match at 1 in the morning before I went to sleep, so please allow me to interrupt to say...
It feels great to beat France right off the bat. They've been the cause of so much grief for Ireland the last few 6 Nations. I was so pleased at what I saw from the boys. I've yet to watch the Scotland v. Wales match so I can't go on about a steam roller here, but I did see England and Italy, and we've got both of those teams.

I was going to post a picture of the match, but in searching this picture came up for "Irish Rugby" which I thought may be more fitting for celebration:
guesswho2.jpg

Now you can go back to the stupid argument about the ref. Which, I might add, REALLY? The ref won that game for the Irish? REALLY?!?

</span>

Congrats to the Irish. Their game was nos as beautiful as it was in the 2001-2006 period but the Fighting Spirit is definitively back, and I must admit the Heaslip's try was a beauty. I can't really tell what was wrong with us - for one time, we found the good balance in our game, attacking or kicking at the right moments - thanks to Beauxis who lead the game well, at least during 60 minutes. I guess that the difference was the lack of agressivity, in rucks, in defence... some world class players like Dusautoir or Jauzion were not so great saturday... our captain too... maybe we were too confident before this game, but after all we are arrogants frenchmen. ;)

Nigel Owens was... Nigel Owens, with all the toulousains in the team we should have been aware of it and play it more clever. The only thing that upset me, like it was said before, is that the Irish were never penalised for the same mistakes... first penalty at 75m, a shame with Beauxis who seemed more precise than O'Gara that day.

The next game vs Italy will be the opportunity for Ireland to get back in the game definitively and compete for the final win against Wales and - I believe - us. Lievremont gets a lots of critics out there but i'm optimistic for the future, after one year of experimentation we almost have our First XV and he's looking good. Hope that Beauxis will be the fly half we're looking for since a few years, on this game, except that miss tackle on BOD and a lower form on the end he was very good. Now this team needs more experience, more vice and maybe we'll compete for the ***le against Wales next year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Feb 9 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So you honestly believe Ireland almost didn't infringe until the 75' ? :blink:[/b]
But we didnt, well according to the referee we didnt and thats all that matters.

"Playing the ref" has been part of rugby since .... well since forever. Owens is a fairly (was going to say straight) consistent ref and you know what he likes and dislikes. Unlike that idiot Roland who seems to take a personal dislike to one team and pings them off the park.

McCaw has been applauded for bending the rules for years. ireland did it better than you guys last week. No big deal. Were not a bad team you know ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 9 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Were not a bad team you know ;)[/b]

Sure. But after watching Heineken Cup and the 6 Nations for years, don't you think that France is being particularly watched by the british referees ? I think there is still a old cliché about us: as we're latins, we're warm blooded, unruly etc... and because of that we're not allowed to be as 'wise' as our opponent. Just look the disproportion of the sanctions by the ERC, depending if you're from a french side or not...

Sometimes it feels like European Rugby is an old club of 'gentlemens' and we're not invited to take the tea with them. But maybe I'm a little paranoid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Feb 9 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 9 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were not a bad team you know ;)[/b]

Sure. But after watching Heineken Cup and the 6 Nations for years, don't you think that France is being particularly watched by the british referees ? I think there is still a old cliché about us: as we're latins, we're warm blooded, unruly etc... and because of that we're not allowed to be as 'wise' as our opponent. Just look the disproportion of the sanctions by the ERC, depending if you're from a french side or not...

Sometimes it feels like European Rugby is an old club of 'gentlemens' and we're not invited to take the tea with them. But maybe I'm a little paranoid.
[/b][/quote]

well there is that and the fact that most British refs are crap, we all have to deal with that.

To be honest I've never thought about it like that. Its not an opinion that is brought up in the press or in conversation.

5 missed tackles only from the French yet it cost them every time shows how clinical we were in terms of taking the chances that came our way.

Plenty of work for us to do on defence, too many missed tackles, although understandable given the intensity of the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Feb 9 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I'm sure we did and Owens saw it and stuck his hand out and France played advantage and got that advantage.

Latest posts