• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby Logo Change (or simplification)

O

O'Rothlain

I've noticed that the IRFU have sort of modified and/or simplified the IRFU logo (or badge). Anyone know why? Find examples below:
NEW
sponsors_button_2.gif

OLD
Irfu_logo.png

I noticed it first on the new Puma Ireland range from the video clips on their website. Then they changed the logo on the website to match.

It seems to be a common thing now for sports clubs to be <strike>dumbing down</strike> "simplifying" their logos. Springing straight to mind are Leicester Tigers, Spurs, Northampton town (soccer) & the Irish provinces.

Seems the unions now want to get in on the act. First the Scots, now the Irish.

ruggers_2065_7349345.jpg
Well, they're definitely going to start using the heck out of it as it's on the new kit. I like this away shirt.

I've heard a rumour that the change in logo may have something to do with switching kit manufacturers from Canterbury to Puma. CCC may have some claim to the rights of the older logo so the IRFU are sidestepping any future issues in this regard by changing it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 3 2009, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've heard a rumour that the change in logo may have something to do with switching kit manufacturers from Canterbury to Puma. CCC may have some claim to the rights of the older logo so the IRFU are sidestepping any future issues in this regard by changing it.[/b]
But didn't that logo exist before Canterbury? The Nike Kits had the same IRFU Badge...
http://www.scrumoftheearth.com/rugby_playe...keith+woods.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 3 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 3 2009, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard a rumour that the change in logo may have something to do with switching kit manufacturers from Canterbury to Puma. CCC may have some claim to the rights of the older logo so the IRFU are sidestepping any future issues in this regard by changing it.[/b]
But didn't that logo exist before Canterbury? The Nike Kits had the same IRFU Badge...
[/b][/quote]
It did. The rumour I posted is just what I heard and I've no idea how accurate it is.

Over the last few years the provinces have all changed their logos due to issues with rights to the old logo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 3 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 3 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 3 2009, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
It did. The rumour I posted is just what I heard and I've no idea how accurate it is.

Over the last few years the provinces have all changed their logos due to issues with rights to the old logo.
[/b][/quote]

Not quite so! When Ulster moved from Canterbury to Kukri, they kept the same "new" crest of Ulster Rugby surrounded by the silly red and black coloured rugby ball type shapes. I much prefered the old Red Hand with the word Ulster below it. If it ws good enough for Willie John McBride to wear (similarly with the old IRFU crest) then it was good enough for me.
I know the badge/crest (sorry but the word logo suggests an american style franchise type of team, rather than a proud province/club./country) was more or less changed to coincide with the "Club Ulster" drive of a few years ago and was nothing political.
Any changes to badge/crest in any sport these days are more for financial gain for the club/province/country than anything else, with the exception of the addition of the Protea to the South African shirt, which was a political move by SA rugby's "leading lights" to further demote and reinvent SA rugby, rather than move on.

I like the new one better, actually. Not sure why, the simplicity of it just seems to fit better.

new-logox495.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Since 1875 and the first use of an emblem representing the IRFU and the Irish rugby squad, the distinctive IRFU symbol has been presented through many different interpretations, all in their own way, rich in the heritage and passion that Irish rugby has stood for through the wonderfully exciting journey the past 134 years have been for the sport. This new identity represents the next chapter in the Irish rugby story, reflecting where the IRFU as an organisation and the Irish rugby squad now stands in both the national and international sporting consciousness.

The rugby ball and three shamrocks motif is synonymous with Irish rugby and has been overall retained in the new logo, while giving it a more user friendly and modern design.

The new logo is live as of August 1, 2009 and will feature on all collateral that contains the IRFU's identity.

This will include over 418,000 match tickets during the season for all international matches, over one million pieces of communication including official correspondence, staff identification, media accrediations and the official IRFU website.

The new logo will also make its international debut on the new Ireland jersey this coming November when Ireland and new kit partner Puma unveil the new playing strip when they take on Australia in the opening game of the GUINNESS Series 2009 at Croke Park, alongside team sponsor O2.

Tickets for the Australia match and the game against South Africa go on sale on August 20 - click here.

IRFU Commercial & Marketing Director Padraig Power said: "The new logo and corporate identity has been carefully designed so as not to depart too far from the history and traditional identity of the IRFU and reflects the deep roots the organisation has in the game of rugby over the last 134 years.

"At the same time it needed to reflect a more modern outlook for the game and organisation.

"The new IRFU logo has arrived as Irish rugby looks to build on what was an extraordinarily successful last season and will hopefully embody a continued sense of confidence, professionalism and strength that was the hallmark of this success last year.

"A less intricate and more simply-presented offering than its immediate predecessor, this logo - with strong clear lines and the enhanced positioning of the IRFU - works well across all mediums of communication, offering a more contemporary and forceful stamp which will compliment the brand qualities of all our valued commercial partners."

The new logo was developed by Dublin based design agency Dcoy Design.

Power added: "We are delighted with the work Dcoy design have put into the project in creating the new logo, capturing accurately that sense of optimism that is prevalent in Irish rugby."[/b]
According to the IRFU: http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_18000.php

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The new logo was developed by Dublin based design agency Dcoy Design.[/b]

f*** sake! I could have made that on Microsoft Paint! Wonder how much the hancers got paid?

That sounds like a career, design stuff like this or the London 2012 logo :)lol:) and get paid loadz of cash. Why don't we all do it?

I hate it. Not necessarily this new Irish logo, just the fact that people see the need to change their kits and logos to 'modernize'.

We had this with my club Richmond who's logo traditionally was two crossed flags with RFC above and 1861 below. Then when we were a professional club in the 90s they made it in to a stupid shield design that you'll now see somewhere on the London Irish kit (they bought the professional side of the club). Fortunately we're amateur again and have the old logo (and kit) back.

Arsenal and Tottenham spring to mind as football teams with nice, proper shield logos. They've now simplified it, like Leicester and Sale and Newcastle and I presume a few other teams I haven't thought of.

I also hate the way kits change. With away shirts, fine. I have no problem with them being used as a fashion statement to sell more merchandise. But home kits???!!!

Why do Leicester have a darker, uglier shade of green?
Why do London Irish have a darker, uglier shade of green?
Why do Ireland have a darker, uglier shade of green? They all look like their kits have been dunked in water before the match.

Why do Sale, Gloucester and Newcastle no longer have hoops?

I'm not bothered by minor kit changes. It's ok for Sarries and Wasps to have bits of red/ yellow up the sides, because it's a club colour and doesn't interfere with the main essence of the kit. But if a club has a template - ie. blue and white hoops - why not stick to it? Why do they feel the need to change to a kit that most of the time looks more boring and plain?

Hats off to Saracens, Wasps, Northampton and Quins for actually staying faithful to club traditions with regards to logos and kits. The rest really get on my ***s.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Aug 6 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hate it. Not necessarily this new Irish logo, just the fact that people see the need to change their kits and logos to 'modernize'.

Why do Ireland have a darker, uglier shade of green? They all look like their kits have been dunked in water before the match.[/b]
The logo/shield/badge which is being changed was itself only about 15 years old (I think it was brought in for the 1995 World Cup). In fact the newer logo is closer to the original, traditional emblem (which was just three shamrocks) than the one which is being replaced. Likewise the darker green shirt is closer to the traditional green shirt Ireland used to wear until about 25 years ago. The jersey began getting lighter through the late '80s up until the early 2000's culminating in some ghastly luminous green shirts (check out the Nike jerseys).

Can we all please stop using the word "logo"??? It is a club/country/province badge or crest. Badges and crests tend to have historical meaning, where as logos tend to be americana style franchises.
Corporations have logos, not sports teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (roadtogundagai @ Aug 6 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can we all please stop using the word "logo"??? It is a club/country/province badge or crest. Badges and crests tend to have historical meaning, where as logos tend to be americana style franchises.
Corporations have logos, not sports teams.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo)</div>
A logo is a graphical element (ideogram, symbol, emblem, icon, sign) that, together with its logotype (a uniquely set and arranged typeface) form a trademark or commercial brand. Typically, a logo's design is for immediate recognition.<sup>[1]</sup> The logo is one aspect of a company's commercial brand, or economic or academic entity, and its shapes, colors, fonts, and images usually are different from others in a similar market. Logos are also used to identify organizations and other non-commercial entities.[/b]
I'll stop calling it a logo when they stop treating it as such.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IRFU)</div>
This new identity represents the next chapter in the Irish rugby story, reflecting where the IRFU as an organisation and the Irish rugby squad now stands in both the national and international sporting consciousness.[/b]
Sounds like they see it as a LOGO as well.

I'm not trying to be a a__hole, I'm just saying. Royal crests, state and/or national emblems don't get changed or "modernized," logos, however, do.

poets, songwriters and fans talk about badges or crests on their breast. Yanks and corporations call em logos mate, sorry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (roadtogundagai @ Aug 8 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
poets, songwriters and fans talk about badges or crests on their breast. Yanks and corporations call em logos mate, sorry.[/b]

I think my point is that the IRFU are treating it like a logo and not a crest. I totally get your ideological feelings towards badges and crests, however it seems rugby is the subject of big corporation mentality.

Latest posts