• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Party Years

The campaign starts now. Start Deego!

Snapchat-598676118.jpg

According to Gerry Thronley 'there seems to be no compelling reason to break up the Conor Murray-Johnny Sexton partnership.'

And here I thought a whole year or so of awful performances might, just might have been enough of a reason to drop someone.

Last edited:
All the papers predicting the exact same team, hope that like last week they're wrong because it's seriously uninspiring. Same team as last week except with POM and Henshaw in. Hope Farrell has the balls to try something different because the current thing isn't working. If we play a game with all the failures of last season and end up with a team closer to rather than further away to last year's team you'd have to question the decision making really.

'Must win' or not picking a team that's consistently failed to deliver for over 12 months doesn't seem like a great way to win games to me. A lot of those players could do with a kick up the hole and a week or two out of the 23 could be the wakeup call a lot of them need.

All the papers predicting the exact same team, hope that like last week they're wrong because it's seriously uninspiring. Same team as last week except with POM and Henshaw in. Hope Farrell has the balls to try something different because the current thing isn't working. If we play a game with all the failures of last season and end up with a team closer to rather than further away to last year's team you'd have to question the decision making really.

'Must win' or not picking a team that's consistently failed to deliver for over 12 months doesn't seem like a great way to win games to me. A lot of those players could do with a kick up the hole and a week or two out of the 23 could be the wakeup call a lot of them need.
What I don't understand is why all the rugby journos seem to be acting as if everyone played very well last week. Reading Gerry Thornley you'd think every single player had an amazing game. Also everyone seems to have decided that because CJ played well, O'Mahony did as well. A lot of mention of both of their "big carries". Only player in the Irish pack making big carries was Stander.

Ahhh, dunno about Deegan going straight in. Great footballer - but not sure if he's a man for the hard yards.

I'd maybe start JOD at 6, and Deegan on bench.

Send Murray away to count the moon and bring McGrath onto bench, Cooney onto pitch.

The rest I could live with, Henshaw & Aki won't set the world alight with the ball, but should be defensively sound.

The Welsh lineout wasn't great last week - and we nabbed a few, so J9 and J10 can kick er to the corners and put pressure on there - we don't necessarily need to make big metres with the ball to win the game.

What I don't understand is why all the rugby journos seem to be acting as if everyone played very well last week. Reading Gerry Thornley you'd think every single player had an amazing game. Also everyone seems to have decided that because CJ played well, O'Mahony did as well. A lot of mention of both of their "big carries". Only player in the Irish pack making big carries was Stander.

Plus ca change...

Or maybe POM himself played well. It was a defensive, backs to the wall type of performance and that plays to POMs strengths.

Or maybe POM himself played well. It was a defensive, backs to the wall type of performance and that plays to POMs strengths.

What strengths?

Of the back 5 of the pack, as usual, POM made the lowest number of tackles.

edit: meant back 5 instead of back 8.

Last edited:
What strengths?

Of the back 8 of the pack, as usual, POM made the lowest number of tackles.
He has a pretty scary angry face, that must worth a few points surely?

I know it's not to some Irish poster's tastes but I think the team is good enough to win. As someone else mentioned POM's selection is probably also down to Wales's line out which was poor, scrum looked there for the taking as well.

Jayz, teams being named fierce early these days.

Ireland (v Wales):

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rob Herring
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Ronan Kelleher
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Devin Toner
20. Max Deegan
21. John Cooney
22. Ross Byrne
23. Keith Earls

Referee: Romain Poite [France].

I don't love the team, but we'll soldier on. A lot of people saying we're sure to get hammered I think are getting a bit alarmist. We're pretty bullet proof at home and it's hardly a poor team.

Not saying it's correct call but to be fair POM is 1 of our best backrowers in Lineout, Lineout defence, turnovers, statistically defending out wide. Now I'm not saying he should be starting but more if he was playing like Richie McCaw in his peak some would still slate him. Jamie Heaslip used to have poor stats for tackling and carries in tight similar to POM and got stick too. But obviously a gameplan dictates some of the stats too. I'm not saying POMs stats are down to just a plan but pointing out the factors.

Personally I'd have started Deegan or Jacko in front and would more say they were only 2 really left that are worth being ahead at this stage of POM and are available.

Backrow isn't as much of a worry as 9/10 and possibly up front. Healy has been ok and Furlong emptied himself last week but are they recovered

Latest posts