• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is scrum really necessary?

I have a question (serious one, though to some it may sound like a sarcastic one, but it's not):

Does the team NOT feeding the ball into the scrum ever stand a chance of actually winning the ball? Feed-ins never appear straight, and I can't remember the last time I actually saw the other team steal the ball. I'd love to know the percentage of scrums actually won by the defending team.

das

They seem to have a pretty good one these days, if they time their push just right - if they time their push just as the team feeding the ball's hooker tries to hook the ball, they have the momentum of all eight forwards pushing against seven opposition forwards (as the opposition hooker isn't pushing). While they aren't getting a fair chance to hook the ball (because the half back isn't feeding it straight) they can win a tight head (a scrum won when they aren't feeding the ball), by pushing the other team off the ball

There are very rarely tight heads from scrums because the team under pressure just infringes under pressure before it actually reaches that point.

There are very rarely tight heads from scrums because the team under pressure just infringes under pressure before it actually reaches that point.

It happens more often with the new rules. Bismarck Du Plessis has won about 7 tightheads this year for the Sharks and Springboks together.

And thanks, guys...AGAIN (boy, I am thanking you blokes a lot lately) for explaining 'tight head' (lol...I originally typed 'thigh head' :p ). I have heard the term used but didn't quite understand the reference (I thought it was just in reference to the prop).

Heh...mebbe I should go and read up on rugby terminology. :p

das

That's a good point, das. Why is it called "winning a tighthead" ?

That's a good point, das. Why is it called "winning a tighthead" ?

I can't say with any certainty, but I'm guessing it's to do with the side that the ball is feed from ... the half back feeds from his loosehead side, meaning the ball is coming from the tighthead side for the defensive team, hence, if they win it, it's a tighthead?

Last edited:
I can't say with any certainty, but I'm guessing it's to do with the side that the ball is feed from ... the half back feeds from his loosehead side, meaning the ball is coming from the tighthead side for the defensive team, hence, if they win it, it's a tighthead?

Exactly!

It's also called that because the opposing hooker is further from the put in than the team's hooker putting in the ball. So the odds is against the opposing hooker even before the ball is put in. It's basically a competition to win the ball, and with the odds so heavily stacked against the opposing hooker, to win a tighthead is a massive psychological advantage.

The scrum is absolutely essential in Rugby Union. It's just one of the ways to contest for the ball. You will never see the NFL get rid of their...... hut-hut-whatever they're doing. :D
I love seeing scrums and it in itself is really an art and a weapon in rugby. Super Rugby has done a lot of harm to the scrum. The Northern Hemisphere fortunately still keeps the scum in high regard.

And thanks, guys...AGAIN (boy, I am thanking you blokes a lot lately) for explaining 'tight head' (lol...I originally typed 'thigh head' :p ). I have heard the term used but didn't quite understand the reference (I thought it was just in reference to the prop).

Heh...mebbe I should go and read up on rugby terminology. :p

das

dasNager ' The fron row on scrum has a Left Prop (#1) or lose head, the hooker (#2) and the right prop (#3) or tight head - These names are referencing were the props head is when scrumming. The most difficult position is Tight Head.

- - - Updated - - -

As mentioned earlier in many posts Scrum is an essential part of Rugby Union - furthermore, it is so important that a teams morale can depend on the scrum performance! When a team dominates the scrum and pushes back his opponents scrum, even if it does not recuperate the ball it creates a problem for the attacking team!

It makes no difference if you watch NH or SH rugby, a team that can not win his balls from the scrum or line out can not display any backs game - AB, Wallabies, Springboks, Pumas have very strong scrums as do the main team of NH, because it is fundamental!!

Almost made me say something rude there!

Scrum is something I do not like in Rugby.
I doubt the necessity of scrum.

The shortcomings of scrum are:

Time-consuming
Too many resets
Physically too demanding
Too many injuries (dangerous)
Impossible when the difference of strength between 2 sides is large
Too many fouls
etc etc...

The advantages of the scrum are that they are AMAZING fun and require rugby teams to have diverse skills, tacticians and athletes than just a Rugby League prototype. Scrums are essential. If the difference of speed between two sides is too large, nobody *****es that you shouldn't be permitted to break the line (which is my personal opinion as a front rower - see the 1,2,3 in the name).

However insiders are sure that scrums will end up being cut as we try to reduce stoppages completely and can just a TV friendly game on Astroturf, with cheerleaders and four quarters for extra ad breaks.

The scrum is absolutely essential in Rugby Union. It's just one of the ways to contest for the ball. You will never see the NFL get rid of their...... hut-hut-whatever they're doing. :D
I love seeing scrums and it in itself is really an art and a weapon in rugby. Super Rugby has done a lot of harm to the scrum. The Northern Hemisphere fortunately still keeps the scum in high regard.

I have a question to all those who love scrum.
Why don't you advocate replacing kick-off by centre-scrum?

I have a question to all those who love scrum.
Why don't you advocate replacing kick-off by centre-scrum?

What?! Why would wanting to keep the scrum mean we'd want to replace the kick off with a scrum?
There's literally no need!

Latest posts