• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Six Nations Expanding to Seven?

South Africa in the Six Nations is not a great idea, but it makes sense from a money and time zone standpoint. Japan need to join the Rugby Championship, and Argentina need to join the Americas.

Samoa, Tonga and Fiji need to join the Rugby Championship as well.

This.
Countries should focus on their regions for development. The Americas have professional leagues now and Argentina should do what they can to make these leagues work. There is a lot of money to be made from a tournament with a strong USA for them. The Six Nations need to open up their minds to the rest of Europe. I'm not saying pro/rel as that would only lead to the relegated team being made bankrupt in a short time, but rather they need to develop the ENC. A strong Europe in the future will lead to more money making opportunities and their investments will be rewarded.
South Africa have the hardest task as they are by far and away the best team on the continent.

When a tier 1 team goes to play South Africa, they should play Namibia as a 'warm-up' game. When going to Argentina, play against Uruguay. When playing New Zealand, play a test with one of the PIs. It wouldn't hurt the tier 1 team as they are always going to win those matches while giving those tier 2 sides exposure to the top level outside of a World Cup.

Opening the Six Nations is not the answer and the way to stop those calls for pro/rel (which is surely the only realistic option, not expansion), then they need to open their eyes and look at what they can do to help the developing nations get to a level where they are at least competitive.

Nobody wants us, sad.

Personally I'd love to see SA in the 6 nations, NZ want us in the RC but Aus certainly don't, I listen to a lot of Aussie pundits and it seems like they'd all like to see us booted.

Unfortunately from a pragmatic standpoint we don't fit anywhere, we are at the bottom of Africa, travel will always be a factor.

Nobody wants us, sad.

Personally I'd love to see SA in the 6 nations, NZ want us in the RC but Aus certainly don't, I listen to a lot of Aussie pundits and it seems like they'd all like to see us booted.

Unfortunately from a pragmatic standpoint we don't fit anywhere, we are at the bottom of Africa, travel will always be a factor.

New Zealand have always made it clear (without explicitly saying so) that they would sooner boot the Aussie's out of the RC than the Boks.

The Bok Kiwi alliance is probably the strongest in World Rugby

New Zealand have always made it clear (without explicitly saying so) that they would sooner boot the Aussie's out of the RC than the Boks.

The Bok Kiwi alliance is probably the strongest in World Rugby
Yes, they both regard Australia as a stop over, warm up game for each other.

Nobody wants us, sad.

Bit bizarre because without SA, the RC would be finished. Maybe the Aussies want that? I've certainly got the impression that there is little desire to keep Union going in Aus and by extension they don't seem to care much about keeping it going internationally.

Rugby is changing. That is inevitable. We would just hope World Rugby finds a solution that makes all parties at least a little a bit happy.

When I talk of the UK as part of the EU it is as part of the continent and not the org.

Europe: mmmh those South African players in Super rugby and the World cup is playing so well!
EU rugby supporters : Yea they are!
European teams: Lets sign them to our clubs!
EU rugby supporters: yay this is great signings, keep it up team!
SA rugby supporters: STOP poaching our players!
EU rugby supporters: Our currency is much better and we get way more tv money, you cant blame your players for trying to secure a better future for themselves and their families.
SA rugby supporters: Politics might also be a factor, but ok EU we cant do anything about you poaching our players, guess we will need to suck it up and just develop new players to take their place.
EU rugby supporters: Suck it up buddy, its a global sport, you cant match our finances
SARU: Hang on a minute, our policy of not selecting overseas based players in the hope that they stay in SA is not working. Lets just select them from their European teams, might as well with all the players in the EU.
French Clubs: Yea bout that, you cant select them, yes WR regulations stipulate that they need to be released for International windows but we have made them aware that their position at the club will be under risk if they leave us during International window.
SA rugby: You cant do that, under our new director of rugby Rassie Erasmus we have committed to enforce the regulations, we have sent all the clubs documentation stipulating our intent to do so.

* wild reports appear that SA is in discussion to join the Six Nations

EU rugby supporters: NOOO! THAT WOULD BE A TRAVESTY ITS A European competition! Keep it according to Geography ! Ew no Africans please let them play in their shitty SH competitions.

also EU rugby supporters: We are happy for your players to play in our league and take up spots which our own academy products could have used, in the name of success and winning. But please keep your teams out of our competitions.

South Africans:
6d194e950e9da284c712bcba97690ac6.jpg

but the 6N does clash with Super rugby...so would the pull their teams? players wold have to get selected for the Boks from the currie cup

Super Rugby would still go ahead. Would select mainly European based players

In France, we are speaking about (but it's not truly clear or evident) that FFR President Laporte (IRB presidency candidate) is trying to involve non only SA but Japan in the 6N... that would mean 8N more than 7N... to not have a team on the side every round.
It's just "bruits de couloir" as we say here. In France, many are opposed, especially most top 14 presidents, which fear to have then another date where their players are in national selection.
I don't see it possible, I put this on the "Laporte usual way of craziness"...

Super Rugby would still go ahead. Would select mainly European based players
There was talk of the Boks running effectively 2 teams one in NH with 4 clubs in Pro14, and one in RC with 4 tsams in SR

The world is a small place now and the only solution is for teams to just go on permanent tours, with players flying in and out of camp when possible/available.

Latest posts