• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the Rugby Union a popular sport in Australia?

Not to mention the Aussies players who have been in the League and in the Union without problems:

Wendell Sailor - Brisbane Broncos:

Wendell Sailor - Wallabies:

130920060555725431.jpg

Lote Tuqiri - Brisbane Broncos:

130920060602615441.jpg

Lote Tuqiri - Wallabies:

13092006060191708.jpg

Joe Tomane - ***ans:

130920060612203708.jpg

Joe Tomane - Wallabies:

130920060608760220.jpg

Israel Folau - Melbourne Storm/Brisbane Broncos:

13092006060679998.jpg

Israel Folau - Wallabies:

130920060604961890.jpg

Cheers

ARU have 5 teams in Super Rugby, the rugby clubs tournament more competitive around the world. And you're talking about the Fu**ing Australian Soccer League????Super Rugby is like the UEFA Champions League in Rugby Union, teams like Brumbies or Queensland Reds are famous all over the world of rugby, and you're talking about the Australian Soccer League??? that in the soccer world anyone heard of them? This is ridiculous...
He's saying that soccer has managed to create and sustain a professional domestic competition within Australia, something rugby has never managed to achieve. I don't see how you can take offence to that.Fact of the matter is that soccer is pretty much king all over the world. Wales lauds itself as having rugby as its main sport, yet Cardiff and Swansea attract much higher crowds than the regions and I'd be very surprised if Welsh posters didn't agree it was more popular. Same situation over here.

Listen Conrad, I'm not about to start telling you about football culture in Argentina, you should listen to the people who are involved in the local culture.

I can assure you that there are large numbers of fans from both codes that hold a significant amount of animosity for the other code.

I can assure you that there are large numbers of fans from both codes that hold a significant amount of animosity for the other code.

You should read everything I write:

There are differences between the supporters, I know. Especially for the supporters of Rugby League who always criticize Rugby Union, they say that Rugby Union is too slow, they say that Rugby Union lose a lot of time on set pieces, and they say that in Rugby Union just it's necessary to have a good kicker to win a game.

Don't kid yourself mate, you're ignoring what people are telling you and basing your judgement on photos of a cross-code training session.

I didn't say every player and fan hates the other code, the fact is that a lot of them do, and it's not just a case of them finding it boring.
There are pretty deep-seated social issues at the root of it.

He's saying that soccer has managed to create and sustain a professional domestic competition within Australia, something rugby has never managed to achieve. I don't see how you can take offence to that.Fact of the matter is that soccer is pretty much king all over the world. Wales lauds itself as having rugby as its main sport, yet Cardiff and Swansea attract much higher crowds than the regions and I'd be very surprised if Welsh posters didn't agree it was more popular. Same situation over here.

What?

Sorry, should have clarified. Despite a poor national side and a less than impressive domestic setup, especially when comparing both to their rugby equivalents, football is miles ahead over here.

Sorry, should have clarified. Despite a poor national side and a less than impressive domestic setup, especially when comparing both to their rugby equivalents, football is miles ahead over here.

I'd presume that cmac is talking more from a point of view of Gaelic Football being the most popular sport in Ireland.

If I'm wrong about cmac just completely ignore me.

I'd presume that cmac is talking more from a point of view of Gaelic Football being the most popular sport in Ireland.

If I'm wrong just completely ignore me.

While it's a totally different issue I've always questioned the validity of that statement. One of the key arguments used is that the GAA has more registered players, but the thing is soccer has a much less formal structure. If you play 7 a side or astroturf of an evening you're not going to be registered with the FAI, whereas everyone who plays gaelic games will be registered with the GAA. Also, gaelic football would have a higher share of its support base actually playing, as soccer participation tends to drop off after juvenile level. But those guys are still fans and enthusiasts and as such should not be discounted. But I digress.

OK, in comparison like that soccer is ahead and should be a lot further ahead of rugby and Gaelic games if the FAI weren't the worst organisation on this planet.

ARU have 5 teams in Super Rugby, the rugby clubs tournament more competitive around the world. And you're talking about the Fu**ing Australian Soccer League????

Super Rugby is like the UEFA Champions League in Rugby Union, teams like Brumbies or Queensland Reds are famous all over the world of rugby, and you're talking about the Australian Soccer League??? that in the soccer world anyone heard of them? This is ridiculous...

5 teams are not very many. Australia cannot sustain a professional rugby league which I think is telling for the sport's popularity.

I stronly disagree that the players are more important than the fans. The players can afford to be friendly as they are paid a lot of money. The fans support the code they want to. Besides your first post was criticisng someone who said union and league fans hate each other. Only after your point has been disproved have you brought up the players.

WTF?! Soccer more popular than rugby union in Australia? And why then the Wallabies have more followers on Twitter than the Socceroos?

It's like you go to England and ask a supporter of Manchester City if Manchester United is a good team. He will say that's rubbish.

If you talk to a supporter of Bath and ask for Leicester Tigers, will tell you it sucks.

Surely aussie that you spoke in favor of football and tennis, must be a soccer supporter. The Socceros not be more popular than the wallabies, ever!

Wallabies 2 times world champions
Socceros never were and never will be.

Australia is known in sport worldwide for the Wallabies

Cheers

The A-League is quite well followed in Australia. They got 50,000 to a club match in Melbourne a few years back. I can't recall that ever happing in the Shute Shield!

Melbourne Victory regularly plays in front of 20,000+; Sydney FC around 18,000+

Last edited:
Listen Conrad, I'm not about to start telling you about football culture in Argentina, you should listen to the people who are involved in the local culture.

This is incredibly true of England, but I don't think it's as much of deal in other regions. Especially the cultural/social aspects, while I'm sure there are tons of single code followers in OZ, I do think that there are many fans that crossover at least at a casual level. I'm not an expert on OZ sports by any stretch though, and am basing this mostly on anecdotal experiences.

Rugby Union is more popular than Soccer in Australia!!!!!!

The average crowd of Super Rugby Games is superior than average crowd of Soccer Games in Australia and the maximum crowd at the main Australian Stadium is also for Super Rugby games.

The soccer season is longer than the Super Rugby, so have a higher total but the same thing happens in the USA, where baseball has more crowd because the MLB season is longer than the NFL season. But the average NFL crowd is higher than the MLB crowd, which is more important.

Source of information:

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=28

130921044939375575.jpg

130921044946282406.jpg

130921044952226866.jpg

130921044957559493.jpg

130921045003578125.jpg

130921045005824551.png

130921044927647586.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen the winner by knockout is... Conrad Smith !!!

Last edited:
Rugby Union is more popular than Soccer in Australia!!!!!!

The average crowd of Super Rugby Games is superior than average crowd of Soccer Games in Australia and the maximum crowd at the main Australian Stadium is also for Super Rugby games.

The soccer season is longer than the Super Rugby, so have a higher total but the same thing happens in the USA, where baseball has more crowd because the MLB season is longer than the NFL season. But the average NFL crowd is higher than the MLB crowd, which is more important.

You make some great points Conrad and my comment is more directed at these popularity debates(especially ranking the sports in order).

In 2012, 70,859,268 bums were planted inside MLB seats during the regular season, not counting playoffs. It's a MASSIVE figure, the next highest league is the Japanese Baseball league at 21,679,596(though that's a number I see is from 2010). Chuck in a few other leagues like Korea's at 7.1 million or so...AAA baseball(2nd division baseball essentially for those not in the baseball know) at over 13.2 million, even AA baseball(3rd division) along with the Mexican league manage to get over 11 million fans combined despite averages of less than 5,000 per game. Baseball could very well be the most "attended" sport even over Association football.

That's what makes these popularity arguments so subjective.

What do we base it on? Participation numbers? Feic used those for Soccer in Ireland but by that token it would be the most popular everywhere(maybe a couple of exceptions like Tonga, Samoa but these would be extremely limited) in the world even in Canada, despite the fact that I know Canadians who love to play the game but would rather rip their eyes out than watch it or played it until they were 14 for exercise and have had nothing to do wiith it since. Likewise Canada has pretty solid rugby participation levels but aside from National Team games the only channel that shows rugby is a premium channel and the sport gets very little exposure nor does it get many people out to the stands.

Do we go by TV numbers? Lots of people watched Mayweather vs. Marquez last weekend, but how many active boxers do people know in there circle of friends or have been to a fight recently?(And don't include the guy who's "training" for boxing or MMA, got to get your ass in the ring to count).

Bums in seats? Well that might not take into account venue capacities, ticket prices(MLB tickets for cheap seats are often around or even less than ten dollars in North America).

These debates always settle into people cherry picking numbers, leaning towards one factor or another to defend their sport.

I could rank Canada's team sports as.....

1. Ice Hockey
2. Gridiron (CFL and NFL combined especially)
3. Baseball
4. Soccer
5. Basketball
6. Lacrosse(especially indoor)
7. Rugby(League is very niche here but is also growing)
8. Cricket

This would probably get a lot of debate with friends, especially 4 and 5 maybe even 6 and 7....heck someone might say Soccer is 1 with all the participation...and that dosen't even begin to rank the other plethora of sports...we could argue points until our head's exploded when it gets down to the bottom of the list. Than many would want to divide the Canadian and American codes of gridiron oh god...the possibility of a debate scares me even now!!

Field Hockey(really only known as a women's game here, though I'm sure there are men somewhere playing)
GAA and Aussie Rules(limited patches of expats)
Ringette(also mainly ladies)
Handball
Water Polo
Polo
Netball
Volleyball
I could go on and on and that's just team sports....god knows where solo or pairs sports would fit in. I'm sure Tennis and Golf would be fairly high.

I don't know whether football or rugby union is more popular in Oz but, Conrad, Super Rugby ​is not a local competition.

I don't know whether football or rugby union is more popular in Oz but, Conrad, Super Rugby ​is not a local competition.

Super Rugby is like UEFA Champions League, the maximum crowd of a European Soccer Team always looks at Champions matches. So much to look at, Super Rugby matches are rugby union games, right?

Cheers

Latest posts