• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is there a better big game player than Thierry Dusautoir?

Dusautoir steps up in big time games and is a clutch player.

As is(was) BOD, Victor Matfield, George Smith, Richie McCaw, and of course Sebastien Chabal who played like a psycho against the All Blacks.

I would say Jonny Wilkinson was at times too, Dan Carter won games in his prime by almost his own effort.

It's now NFL season so I struggle remembering too much about Super Rugby, but currently David Pocock, Faf De Klerk, Willie Le Roux, Liam Coltman, Elliot Dixon, Nasi Manu, Jorge Taufua, Charles Piutau, and Nemani Nadolo are up there too. Lima Sopoaga and Marty Banks have showed up in big game occasions too but that's a shameless Highlanders plug.

I wouldn't have guys like Beauden Barrett, Bernard Foley, Nick Phipps etc. - choke.

Against Australia, Jonah Lomu!

Also against Australia, (particularly in 2011) Jerome Kaino. I just wish he played a bit better this world cup, here's hoping.

How can you say that about Foley after Saturday? He's also delivered the goods and kicked a long range last minute penalty for the Waratahs to beat the Crusaders in the Super Rugby final in 2014.

He was only playing England tommo.......

Oops.

But I mean, the Welsh won there the week before...

I thought he played well enough. Turned the ball over beautifully, 3 times I think, and made some crunching hits. Not his best game but France were just outplayed in every aspect of the game. Hopefully he has a big game next week and I can bump this thread.

Last edited:
Dusatoir is finished and his greatness is significantly diminished by being the Captain of a French team that was dismembered by the All Blacks and suffered a 62-13 crushing humiliating defeat.
This was THE big game for France in this world cup and Dusatoir was cast aside as a pretender by the Great McCaw and the Colossus, Jerome Kaino.
A world cup quarter final and Dusatoir didn't show up when it counted.
A great competitor but always the loser.

Dusatoir is finished and his greatness is significantly diminished by being the Captain of a French team that was dismembered by the All Blacks and suffered a 62-13 crushing humiliating defeat.
This was THE big game for France in this world cup and Dusatoir was cast aside as a pretender by the Great McCaw and the Colossus, Jerome Kaino.
A world cup quarter final and Dusatoir didn't show up when it counted.
A great competitor but always the loser.

Here Here! What game was the originator watching ! Dusatoir and Phillip saint Andre must go. Saint Andre was a great centre but he is not a good international coach !!

Here Here! What game was the originator watching ! Dusatoir and Phillip saint Andre must go. Saint Andre was a great centre but he is not a good international coach !!

I do believe PSA was a great wing and a poor manager! Thierry has past over the hill......so, yes both should go!! The former with boos and the latter with dignity intact.

If were talking about past players aswell. Then yeah id agree Joost is pretty hard to go past.

Yep, if we're talking past players I might have to say that Tim Horan is the greatest big game player I have ever seen

Yep, if we're talking past players I might have to say that Tim Horan is the greatest big game player I have ever seen

The only thing Horan wins is the prize for the biggest head on a rugby union player ever.... Although Zinny would also probably give him a good run.

But yeah amazing player considering the disadvantage he had lugging that huge kranium around.

And Id rate Larkham and Eales way way above Horan.

Last edited:

Nice shout but I would have to say Horan was one of the best players full stop.

Latest posts