• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy?

I haven't watched it but his videos are generally funny. Probably worth a watch if you want to find out more about Italy.

Pretty good, and fair-ish. I do cringe a bit at the unique trick for each international, it kind of smacks of desperation. But then not being good enough will also do that to you.

The factionalism of rugby in Germany, the insular nature of Spanish rugby and the incompetence of Romanian rugby are all godsends for Italy and take the pressure off (as did defeating Georgia). 2018 was really bad for Tier2 in Europe and Italy are the victors as a result. There shouldn't be much talk if promotion or relegation and if Benetton can qualify for the Champions cup that will help massively.

Excellent points... I'm secretly hoping Italy makes a surprise splash this year, it'd be nice if no games were walkovers...

I heard them talking about those LA meetings on one of my rugby podcasts, and it sounds like they're really moving forward... could be exciting, but I'm automatically scared of Big Changes... :/

As rugby fans we really 'should' be prepared to have more meaningful fixtures against developing nations than not imho. That statement extends to Italy in the 6N, yes we all probably thought that they would be far more competitive by now than they are but that is probably more of a fault in our own short sightedness than in Italy's attempt at catch up. Italy joined at a time when both rugby hit professionalism and sport science blossomed... they were still trying to get to grips with the game as a whole... when the other nations were learning how to truly understand every facet that goes towards the whole (& how best to make that whole function too).

To dump Italy now would be a MASSIVE step backwards for rugby... I personally think that we should be aiming towards an eventual European championship (well aware I'm probably in the minority on this) but opening things up is how things grow not by closing things off (though I'm not for rushing things either... there's a time and a place).

As for Japan and Fiji possibly joining the Rugby championship... I'm obviously down. Yes they will get beat... and yes it might be 20 years before they can get any consistent positives to speak of (maybe more) but in a hundred years time rugby would be in a better place because of it! The more international teams playing elite rugby the better.

One can see flashes of brilliant play already from Japan and Fiji, but you're right, consistency will be key... at this point, I'm consuming every single scrap of rugby I can find, so I'm all for more elite international games!

They briefly speak about it here ~38 minutes in if anyone needs any sleeping material.

I don't seem to be able to edit that now, I was only listening in the background and now realise they speak about possible promotion for 10 seconds.

Low key, Benneton have been better than any of the Welsh regions at this point in the season. I think Italy used to try to build from the top down and that doesn't work, they're starting from grassroots now and have been for two years and they've pulled out good players like Negri and Minozzi who are about as good as anyone they've produced in their history. (considering Dominguez and Parisse grew up in Argentina) Their U20s had their most successful year ever last year and their U18s beat England, they're showing more at all levels than any European tier 2 nation and they're obviously a more attractive market. If Conor O'Shea could see the light and continue his Director of Rugby duties and get a better head coach in they'd be in a great position to start attacking 6n wins against France and Scotland at home regularly and start putting pressure on the other three if they fail to show up on the day.

Can I use it for my signature? ;)

Anyway, just my two cents.
As I said many times here, when COS started his job, that was basically our year 0. But it's fair to recognize the fundamental value of Kieran Crowley&Michael Bradley's work to understand the path we are along. The 2 coaches of our 2 franchises work very close to COS and, with some players of the domestic championships joining Zebre and Treviso's trainings, we are trying to focus the efforts in one direction.
That never happened in history of FIR, and it's still not perfectly up and running nowdays.
So I think that we need to go on like this and keep COS, Crowley and Bradley for the years to come and let them work.
I can understand the discussions about Italy out of the 6N and I'm perfectly conscious that I'll hear'em for some years in the future because Rome wasn't build in a day. And I think I'm entitled to say that :)
Patience isn't just a minimum requirment for any sport supporter but we, unfortunately, must mount some upgrades.
I know that it's been 20 years, we wasted a lot of time, money and players but I'm sure that this is the only way to make it work. It'd be a shame to stop it now, and I'm thinking about some fool here in Italy who doesn't want COS to sign for a contract extension.

I expand a thought I have from some time ago: I'd like to see, in the next future, COS only dedicating to de DoR activity and leave the national team bench to Crowley or Bradley. I think that'll be the best solution for us. I see COS as a great organizer but I don't always understand or agree with his picks, before and during a game. Maybe national team coach + DoR it's just too much work for a human being.
What do you think?

I've been hearing that from several pundits lately - being head coach and DoR is a pretty tall order indeed!

Here in the US, the NFL trend for a while was to let the head coach also be the manager (Bill Parcells has his famous "Don't ask me to cook if you won't let me buy the groceries" rant), but in the last decade, that trend has reversed, due to the overwhelming workload.

I've also been hearing the Italy coach is spending a ton of time traveling between Zebre and Benetton and consulting with both as much as possible, hoping to bring consistency to all sides, which I can only imagine being a good thing...

I've been hearing that from several pundits lately - being head coach and DoR is a pretty tall order indeed!

Here in the US, the NFL trend for a while was to let the head coach also be the manager (Bill Parcells has his famous "Don't ask me to cook if you won't let me buy the groceries" rant), but in the last decade, that trend has reversed, due to the overwhelming workload.

I've also been hearing the Italy coach is spending a ton of time traveling between Zebre and Benetton and consulting with both as much as possible, hoping to bring consistency to all sides, which I can only imagine being a good thing...

COS is basically at each Zebre and Treviso match and I suppose he visits them even during the week.

Italy are improving and will be staying in the 6 nations.

Their problem is other teams have improved before them and they were already the weakest of the 6 nations but they're catching up.

The optics of potentially losing another 5 games doesn't look good but it is what it is. All Italy can do is keep improving and eventually the wins will come.

Their U20s are winning games regularly and Benetton are a strong pro14 team now.

Latest posts