• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[ITM Cup] Round 2

Updated with a few more squads...

Nathan Harris and Charles Piutau are available for BoP and Auckland respectively. I don't know why Harris is available but not the likes of TKB and Slade.

Updated with a few more squads...

Nathan Harris and Charles Piutau are available for BoP and Auckland respectively. I don't know why Harris is available but not the likes of TKB and Slade.

Harris isn't officially in the AB's squad is he? I thought he was just training with the team. I assume Piutau has been released to allow him to get some rugby as he hasn't played a lot of rugby in the last 3-4 months. Personally I agree it would be a good idea to release the like of TKB and Slade, but it appears they are only releasing players desperately in need on rugby...

Just turned on the Canterbury vs Waikato match. 17-0 to Canterbury after 8 minutes :eek:

Just turned on the Canterbury vs Waikato match. 17-0 to Canterbury after 8 minutes :eek:

Haha, yup - roughly min gone and 20 - 0!! On the off chance Canterbury go on to lose I'll at least get my $ back now :)

Nikoro nails one from 59m....easily!

Last edited:
In absolute seriousness, that one looked like it could have gone over if it was from 69m!

Yep. Nikoro probably has the longest range of any goal-kicker in the country. He is a short guy, but he has some massive legs on him!

Fantastic finish by Joe Webber... maybe?

EDIT: No, just grazed the touchline.

Last edited:
Canterbury @ $1.25 (via the 20+ point special) I actually think the TAB have made a bit of a mistake by offering these specials by Day as opposed to offering them on a game by game basis. Reason being, I believe this is a game where both teams may well score 20+.

Re: Canterbury v Waikato.

Surely putting money on both teams would be a good idea, if you think both are going to score 20 or more points? It's like the ultimate hedged bet.

And there you have it. Quite comfortably each side scores 20+. Smart punters will be taking advantage of this one - pick the Friday night games that you believe will be high coring and bet hard!!

Currently the score is 51 - 27 to Canterbury and still 15min to go!

Great game to watch, pretty brassed off with the referee though who ruined any chance of a contest in the second half. His refereeing of the breakdown was completely hit and miss, and a couple of key errors directly resulted in tries (i.e. saying McKenzie had knocked the ball on when it was clearly off his boot).

Disappointed that Waikato couldn't get the BP. I thought the sideline camera showed that Webber hadn't stepped on the line for his try, but they still should have scored another couple if it wasn't for some pretty basic handling errors.

Great game to watch, pretty brassed off with the referee though who ruined any chance of a contest in the second half. His refereeing of the breakdown was completely hit and miss, and a couple of key errors directly resulted in tries (i.e. saying McKenzie had knocked the ball on when it was clearly off his boot).

Disappointed that Waikato couldn't get the BP. I thought the sideline camera showed that Webber hadn't stepped on the line for his try, but they still should have scored another couple if it wasn't for some pretty basic handling errors.

Week 2 is an interesting one because you get a much better sense of how teams are tracking that just week 1s results. I didn't get to watch the whole game tonight but I think Waikato can take real heart from that game. If they can tighten up their defensive structures a bit they will push if not beat most teams in the comp. Their attacking flare is really up there and I for one will be likely to pile on the $ when they take on Taranaki on Wednesday night (subject to how Taranaki goes tonight of course).

For me, so far this year Waikato are the pleasant surprise of the comp!

Holy Cow!!. That was a pretty emphatic statement from the denizens or the Village of the Damned!

They play Northland next week. Heaven help them.

I thought Bleyendaal and Codie Taylor were the stand out players for Canterbury, though their loose forwards were all good and Rob Thompson had a strong game at 12. Of course it generally takes a pretty good team effort to rack up fifty points!

For Waikato Weber was the best on display, while both wings were good and McKenzie came right in the second half after a poor defensive showing early on. Nikoro's kick was amazing.

I really enjoyed the Canterbury v Waikato match. Both teams seemed intent on playing running rugby, which led to quite an expansive match.

A few thoughts.....
- Otago should never have let Brad Weber get away. He passed well, made his tackles, and was dangerous with ball in hand. He seems to break far too many tackles for such a small guy!
- McKenzie is still very raw, and obviously needs to work on his defense at this level, but he is phenomenally talented. He has a fantastic skills set and phenomenal vision for such a young player
- All of the Waikato outside backs impressed me. O'Donnell and Webber were both very dangerous with ball in hand (they are credited with 3 linebreaks apiece), but also made their tackles on defense. Nikoro didn't really break the line but was solid at the back, injected himself well into the line, and linked well with the wings.
- Codie Taylor is very dynamic!
- Scott Barrett looks an excellent prospect at lock. His ball running in particular impressed me. It would be no surprise to see him in the Crusaders squad next season (though he may want to consider moving a bit further South :) ).
- Matt Todd is quite simply the best openside in the country. The offloading game that he has developed in the last 6 months is a real weapon....
- Luke Whitelock was good in the lineouts. That was about it though.
- Will Heinz is handy at this level. As is Tyler Bleyendaal, who I thought controlled the game very well.
- Rob Thompson is much better in the midfield than on the wing. Adam Whitelock likewise is a very good centre at this level. I'm not sure why he wasn't played there by the Crusaders a bit more in this last year?
- Osbourne is dangerous. McNicholl.... hmmmm. He has a brilliant outside swerve, but I'm starting to believe he is a bit limited. Mo'unga was a bit mixed at fullback, but he is talented player with ball in hand.

It's exciting to watch all this new talent every year huh guys! I agree Darwin, some fantastic prospects showing their skills last night. NZ looks to be in real god shape with all these kids coming through. Its because of this I watch far ore of the ITM cup than I do Super Rugby!

Brad Webber really impresses me (both on and off the field) I love the way he handles himself in post match/ general interviews. There is a real confidence from this Waikato team and it seems he is a big driver of that. One thing for example that I like about him is he never uses the squad age as an excuse, in fact they are embracing that which is great!

Other than all the guys you mention above Darwin, another guy that stood out to me was Jed Brown. He has been around the scenes for a couple years but behind the likes of Todd, the Whitelocks, and McCaw et al he has received limited playing time. My understanding is he comes with big wraps, has been dominant in Canterbury club rugby and is expected to be a feature of this ITM cup side and the plan is that he will likely see some quality Super Rugby time next season. Keep an eye out for him.

Oh and I agree, Todd is the best openside in the country. I really hope the ABs dont stuff him round and he buggers off overseas. He could be a crucial piece of the RWC 2015

Other than all this new talent coming through, the other thing that strikes me every year is how amazing the Canterbury Union is! I've said it before, but they are wonderfully organised, and in particular have this flawless pathway from club rugby through to ABs level that they can offer their players and guide them through. It makes me wonder why other Unions arent adopting Canterbury model. Year after year they bring in new faces (well new to me at least because I am not in touch with Canterbury club rugby) that not only perform well at provincial level, but some of which quickly find themselves in Super franchises and not uncommon to find a place within the AB setup within a couple years of coming on to the scene. Such a professional union.

Just turned on the telly to see that Wellington are down 15 nil against Northland. Hmmm.

Just turned on the telly to see that Wellington are down 15 nil against Northland. Hmmm.

They are being completely outplayed - "out-passioned" as the commentator is saying. Wellingtons execution and basic skills are really letting them down. Ref letting Northland getting away with creeping offside is not helping Wellington's cause much either.... No doubt Wellington are just playing like absolute rubbish and Northland playing really well though!!

Last edited:
That has to be one of the more incompetent performances by a rugby team I have seen. Was that 18 turn overs in the half? probably 5 of them attributed the butter fingers Mamea on the wing....Wow. Honestly the winger should be pulled, he touched it about 6 times and dropped it on about 5 occasions.

OK rant over. Still think Wellington should win this one. Their coach will be fuming. All they need to do is be a bit more patient, take some time to cart it up the middle with their "Super Rugby" laden forward pack, draw in some of the Northland defenders and then send it out wide.....maybe then they will find catching and passing a bit more easier.....

Hahaa, Good on Northland - really great attitude, fantastic opportunism, good skills, great D, nice execution, but mate this Wellington team is absolute crap!

EDIT: Are the Wellington Team just stupid or what? That lineout drive on 60 min was the funniest/most ridiculous thing I have ever seen!

Aside from the fact they should have been ready for Northland to not contest the maul at all, they ended up with a wall of four Wellington guys mauling their way forward, without the ball or any opposition, followed a meter of two back by two more Wellington guys, with the ball, but completely detached from the first four, also mauling their way forward. It looked absolutely ridiculous and epitomized the Wellington performance for me; no structure, no execution, no skills, and no brains.

Last edited:
Wellington are the first team this week to not score 20 points - go figure! Only glanced at the match every quarter of an hour, looks like Northland played like a real team!

Baden Kerr injured so not playing today. I think Otago will win it now.

Latest posts