• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITV's coverage

• Thread starter ecks tartan army
  • Start date
E

ecks tartan army

can i say that, from a scottish (ie minority ;) )point of view, ITV's coverage of tonights opening game was quite frankly ****!

the program for the opening game (France v Argentina) started 30 minutes before kick-off - yet 10 minutes passed before anyone even thought to mention either of these teams! the first 10 minutes were dedicated to englands preperations and an interview with Brian Ashton. they then spoke breifly to a frenchman in paris before looking in depth at Groups A (england) and B (wales) before skimming over C & D and then finally talking about argentina just 5 minutes before kick-off.

Had this game been broadcast on the BBC, they would have had an Expert representing France, and Probably Argentina. ITV chose an entirely english pannel - meaning no insight into the game from different perspectives. (this was alright today - but will be unbearable for people north of the border during england games)

and then looking ahead to the tournament to come - only games involving England, Boks, AB's, Wallabies and France are live on ITV 1 (apparently due to "lack of demand"). well how come that demand is there when the same teams play in the 6 Nations (rememer the BBC show EVERY 6N game live)

sorry about the rant - but this is an issue that REALLY ****** of everyone 'north of the border' (and presumably in wales and Norn. Ire.)

OK ITV may be shite at everything they do but it must be beared in mind that the BBC are no saints either, they show every game of the 6N because the organising committee sold the rights under those conditions. Previously when the BBC had the rights to all the teams in the 5N they only used to show Ireland, Wales and Scotland matches live in those regions if England were playing.

And be thankful you've got any analysis, in France they show the match and that's it, 10 minutes of ads at half time and when the match is over that's it.

Don't flatter BBC... They've deliberatly mate the England poofball game kick off at the same time as Eng v USA kick off tomorrow.

im not suggesting the BBC are saints - infact tomorrow i will go onto a football forum and have a rant about their International coverage (every england game is shown live throught the uk - while in living memory i can only remember them doing this with a scotland game once - Scotland v Italy back in march when england werent playing)

however for the england games i think id rather have no analasis!

and the one thing i will praise the BBC for is their alternative comentary - anything to turn motson off is grweat! :D

S4C also have the right to show 25 of the matches in the UK, on Sky channel 134, and their coverage is usually miles better than ITV. They actually showed the opening ceremony for one thing.

which was about on a par with the French performance on the pitch tonight, truely forgettable stuff.

when the same teams play in the 6 Nations (rememer the BBC show EVERY 6N game live)
[/b]

There are less 6N games than RWC games. BBC have 2 channels and use this, SO ARE ITV.

Wait till Scotland play, then you can see how they talk about them.

<div class='quotemain'>
when the same teams play in the 6 Nations (rememer the BBC show EVERY 6N game live)
[/b]

There are less 6N games than RWC games. BBC have 2 channels and use this, SO ARE ITV.

Wait till Scotland play, then you can see how they talk about them. [/b][/quote]

only if my sky doesnt break!

ok, i know there is a lot more matches in the RWC, but alot of these games are between the lesser nations (no offence to them, they have earned their right to be there) but ITV are showing Live all the games involving the AB's, Auzzies and Saffies - yet they cant find it in them to show the home nations games?

i have nothing against ITV using several channels to broadcast the tournament - it just ****** me off what games they have decided are to be shown on each!

I can certainly see from the Scottish point of view that the coverage is **** poor, I think only 1 of their pool games will be shown on ITV1, now for those who only have the basic channels that's a poor return when you consider England get all their games shown on ITV1. I don't know how easy it is to pick up the extra channels so not sure how many would just have the basic ones.

Are STV though not showing all the Scottish games cause UTV are showing all the Ireland games despite them not being on ITV1?

i dunno, i get ITV4 so will see 2 games on there and enjoy the best coverage there is for Scotland v Romania.

i just ****** me off that once again schedules are changed in scotland (dropping normal listings) so that a game involving England can be shown throught the uk - but the BBC cant even be arsed trying to get the rights for a scotland game! (substitute Wales in as you please - but do they not have the rights for N. Ire?)

ok, show the game in england but FFS dont assume we wanould rather watch it and dont really want to see what would normally be on!

Frankly, i think it is disgusting that all the home nations, but england have been relegated to itv 3 and 4.

We do live in the NH, and as such would die rather than support the AB's, Aussies or SA. I can see the appeal of having AB's on itv 1, they are a draw team, like brazil is in poofball, but not everyone has freeview, so they will miss out on their own team.

It sucks. I never really have a problem with any broadcast, but the point of having a panel at a tv studio is for a balanced debate.

You can sometimes see that the panel are sick of being asked the same old FAQ, and boy is it dull to watch.

How many time you can discuss Wilkinson being a star again is beyond me. How many times you can tell Martin Johnson he is the be-all is beyond me.

There was an ITV rugby reunion thing one the other night with all the stars.. farr-jones, lomu, fitzpatrick etc and all Jim Rosenthal kept saying in the interview to Johnno was.. 'can england win', 'will wilko do it again'.. it was awful.

Johnno didn't have a reply really.. he just had to keep regirgitating the same answer.. which was 'i think we will do well' and 'only time will tell'.

You could see on his face he was sick of asked the same question.

i dunno, i get ITV4 so will see 2 games on there and enjoy the best coverage there is for Scotland v Romania.

i just ****** me off that once again schedules are changed in scotland (dropping normal listings) so that a game involving England can be shown throught the uk - but the BBC cant even be arsed trying to get the rights for a scotland game! (substitute Wales in as you please - but do they not have the rights for N. Ire?)

ok, show the game in england but FFS dont assume we wanould rather watch it and dont really want to see what would normally be on!
[/b]

UTV have the rights in Northern Ireland as ITV is their parent company but they show all the Ireland matches which goes out as a basic channel in the north and throughout most of the Republic, so the BBC has no say in this, they were outbid by ITV fair and square so they're irrelevant to the question. Whoever the Scottish equivalent of UTV is, always thought it was STV but correct me if I'm wrong, it's up to them to offer the Scottish perspective as ITV1 will always cater to it's largest audience which will always be in England.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt there the F1 Grand Prix tomorrow which is something ITV prioritise, hence the RWC being moved to ITV4

I guess this will at least stop people slagging off Skys rugby coverage in the future.

I guess this will at least stop people slagging off Skys rugby coverage in the future. [/b]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't England, **** poor as they are, the current Rugby World Champions, and doesn't England, with the largest rugby community of all, have the greater viewing numbers? So don't these two factors play a major role in determining what's shown on what channel? And don't the majority of people in the UK want to see how England play, if only because they prefer to see them take a fall? And don't the majority of people not give a toss about the lesser rugby teams, whether this is deemed acceptable or not?

The whinge here seems to be like the one for rewarding mediocrity, and how the losers ought to get prizes too.

Oh well, I suppose that's life. But I guess we'll have to gird our loins now with the whinging kicking off already. For me, I far prefer to listen to the likes of Martin Johnson, Will Greenwood, Stuart Barnes, et alia as they are knowledgeable and capable of having a good laugh.

North of the border has STV haven't they? And Grampian? Why not ask these broadcasters why they haven't done a deal with ITV1, or whatever, to show the matches you want see in your country? It's certainly not a secret plot to deliberately deprive you of them.

Every. Single. Match. Is. Being. Shown.

I don't care what channel wales are playing on. At least they're being shown.

Every. Single. Match. Is. Being. Shown.

I don't care what channel wales are playing on. At least they're being shown.
[/b]

Precisely. I watched England's (rubbish) game yesterday and afterwards the commentator advised that the Scotland game would be shown on STV. Some people cry before they're hurt.......

however i also noticed that for wales and ireland it had "ITV4, or UTV/welsh equivalent for viewers there"

for the scotland game it simply had "STV for viewers in scotland" is this a mistake or are we not deemed good enough to be shown on ITv4? :(

Its because the Scotland game isn't on ITV 4 i don't think.

Anyways, The Scotland vs. Portugal game is on STV.

All games are shown on various channels....i do wonder about he 'England' show though lol - the intro them for one lol - makes me laugh - i think Peugeot have got it right with the 4 guys from the home nations...much better than just focusing on England in the intro...World champs or not...