• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Izzy Folau

A. Their fanbase won't really care (the French give way less crap about this stuff than Anglosphere countries)
I think you'd be surprised, I'm a member of a few fan groups on social media and the number of people not happy about this far outweigh the number that are.

I don't see any legal action the clubs could take about his signing hurting them economically.

IDK the corporate structure of super league but they could definitely come together to have him banned if they wanted and they had the right structure.

Ignore that, I saw a catalans game had been postponed due to the storms but it was last weeks game.

He scored on his debut today. Ah well.

I mean he has form as a massive unrepentant bigot, I'm happy to assume this is pure racism until I see some major evidence otherwise

No right minded person can argue about the basic premise, but I've felt uncomfortable watching the organised taking of the knee.

Partly because not all the people doing it will believe in it - the law of averages tell you that. Partly because some people will have felt compelled to do it when they may prefer, for whatever reason, not to express any views publicly. And partly because if you don't do it you get singled out as Folau has been here and as seems to be happening in F1. And partly when it becomes the norm it loses impact.

The F1 drivers really ducked it up, not that they should have a take a knee or not but the fact they couldn't show some form of united front on the matter so looked like a bunch of doughnuts. Especially when they releasing statements just before like "I'm totally anti racists but some countries might not like expressing that view so I won't"

Falou's doing it for the publicity best to ignore the bigot (even if hes not about this subject)

That's just a really toxic line to take ngl...

There is literally no evidence that this is an example of racism?
"Would you like to protest against racism Israel?"
"No"
"Are you sure? It literally won't cost you anything, it's as easy as kneeling down for like a minute"
"No"
"Everyone else is doing it, you'll stand out like a sore thumb as the only guy not protesting racism. People might think you're a racist"
"No"
"You've already got a terrible reputation as a bigot, maybe just kneel so you don't open up this whole extra can of worms?"
"No"

He is really committed to not protesting racism, at the expense of his own reputation. He has a track record of extremely bigoted views. He hasn't, as far as I'm aware, offered up any explanation for his decision.

Occam's razor says he's a racist. If there is another, more nuanced reason that he refuses to demonstrate his opposition to racism, he needs to offer it up before I give him the benefit of the doubt.

(He's also not very bright. I for one am unconvinced he has the intellect for a nuanced opinion on anything to be honest)

Probably sulking because he'll be barred from Super League if he comes out with anything.....controversial..... again.
You just know he's chomping at the bit to say Coronavirus is God punishing us for gay marriage/sex out of wedlock/having tattoos/wearing clothes made of mixed fibres or whatever his latest crusade is.

"Would you like to protest against racism Israel?"
"No"
"Are you sure? It literally won't cost you anything, it's as easy as kneeling down for like a minute"
"No"
"Everyone else is doing it, you'll stand out like a sore thumb as the only guy not protesting racism. People might think you're a racist"
"No"
"You've already got a terrible reputation as a bigot, maybe just kneel so you don't open up this whole extra can of worms?"
"No"

He is really committed to not protesting racism, at the expense of his own reputation. He has a track record of extremely bigoted views. He hasn't, as far as I'm aware, offered up any explanation for his decision.

Occam's razor says he's a racist. If there is another, more nuanced reason that he refuses to demonstrate his opposition to racism, he needs to offer it up before I give him the benefit of the doubt.

(He's also not very bright. I for one am unconvinced he has the intellect for a nuanced opinion on anything to be honest)
He actually has I believe, the Catalan Dragons HC (I think) explained that they had spoken about it and felt that it was a religious decision (that one should only take a knee for ones wife and God) and is a sentiment that has been echoed by a fair few Christians (a black basketballer did it just yesterday I believe).

We can get into a debate about kneeling and whether it's a meaningless gesture that has done more to harm the cause than good if you like but I fear that your mind is already made up on that.

Members of my (mixed race / north African ) family have been asked to kneel for various social media and publicity events recently but time and time again, have said no. None of the reasons for saying no were because they were racist and the suggestion that not kneeling = for racism is abhorrent.

Furthermore, in those first few lines of your post you seem to be making the point that kneeling is essentially a flippant gesture that, to paraphrase your argument, you should do just because everyone else is doing it and you don't want to stand out. I'm sure the irony is not lost on you there...

I, as a Christian, deeply disagree with Folaus views on homosexuals. Do I think that automatically makes him a racist? No. Might he be? Yes. Is there any evidence whatsoever that he is? Not as far as I can see, but absolutely feel free to correct me if I'm missing some.

that one should only take a knee for ones wife and God
o6mnnhge7tz03hcu8elj

Eternity in hell it is, then

Latest posts