• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japanese Rugby

Eagles blow 15-0 lead away to Leitch's Brave Lupis, meaning it's all getting horribly tight for the last playoff spot.

Blue Revs get a very spirited losing BP away to top team the Spears, but remain in the drop zone. Surely they have the quality to reach mid-table.

Absolutely love the format of this competition. 12 teams, with only 4 going to playoffs (compared to a ridiculous 8 from 12 in Super Rugby) makes the regular season intense. The 3 worst teams going into a relegation tournament keeps things very interesting in the lower mid table.

I was pretty casual about the tournament at the start but its pretty compelling viewing now, for highlights at least.

Another good weekend for Japanese coaching with Eagles and Blue Revs both winning. Blue Revs move out of the relegation zone for the first time and I'm optimistic they can keep out of it.

Suggestion that Osaka (pop. 2.6 million) will lose their top flight status regardless of on field performance due to corporate mergers/acquisitions. Part of the risk of having clubs tied to companies I guess.

To add to my last post, I've since been schooled!

Apparently there are only two pro clubs in the JRLO, Blue Revs and Brave Lupis. This merged side will be a third pro side with a much larger budget than the other two and with plans to build a 15,000 seater stadium.

The rest in the top flight are Corporation clubs rather than independent entities. The plan seems to be over 10 years to get the clubs to gain support and sponsorship to become independent professional entities. So in a way this merger is a positive step. Osaka will be relegated into the 3rd division and remain a Corporation club. Apparently there is a side called Hanazono in the Osaka area too(?), so maybe they have two clubs in that area.

Japan is such an alien culture I can barely even grasp their rugby setup!

I really enjoy watching JRLO games on the The Rugby Network for free. I've seen all of the Division 1 teams play at least once except for the Canon Eagles. And I hope to see them before the season is over. I had a great time when I visited Japan several years ago. If I ever go back I'll make sure it's during rugby season. :D

https://league-one.jp/standings/

Last edited:
Brave Lupis leapfrog the Eagles for the last playoff spot :(
Eagles were leading Wild Knights at the half then got spanked. The top 3 are significantly stronger than all others I reckon.

I'm happy to say that I have now seen every JRLO Division One team play and most of them more than once. One of The Rugby Network announcers said that JRLO asked the teams to commit to play at a faster pace when they rebranded before the season in an effort to score more tries. I think they've done a great job!

Last edited:
With one more weekend to go in the JRLO regular season it looks like Sungoliath, Spears, Wild Knights and Brave Lupus will advance to the playoffs. Verblitz has an outside shot, but they'd have to beat Sungoliath and Brave Lupus would have to lose to the Blue Revs. It's not likely both will happen. This season has been very enjoyable to watch on The Rugby Network. I can't wait for the playoffs! :cool:

Last edited:
With one more weekend to go in the JRLO regular season it looks like Sungoliath, Spears, Wild Knights and Brave Lupus will advance to the playoffs. Verblitz has an outside shot, but they'd have to beat Sungoliath and Brave Lupus would have to lose to the Blue Revs. It's not likely both will happen. This season has been very enjoyable to watch on The Rugby Network. I can't wait for the playoffs! :cool:

My two Japanese coached sides, Blue Revs and Eagles, will finish 6th and 8th, meaning they aren't facing relegation or the playoffs. Hopefully Blue Revs finish on a high. ;)

The story of Blue Revs season really. In so many games they got off to a good start then mess up late on. I can only assume they've no depth. Epic effort by Brave Lupis to make the playoffs.

Modest but not disastrous attendances given the Covid situation.

Modest but not disastrous attendances given the Covid situation.

I've been to Japan and the people there are very respectful of one another and will gladly go out of their way to help one another out. And if that means staying home to lessen the chances of getting/spreading Covid-19, they will and they won't complain about it. It's common to see people wearing masks on their daily subway work commute year round. And this has been practiced long before the current pandemic started. I was told it goes back to the last pandemic in 1918.

JRLO semi: Sun Goliath vs Brave Lupis

I watched the full match on The Rugby Network and Brave Lupus gave that one away. They blew four line outs in a row which led to the game winning try for Sungoliath. I felt sorry for the guy who made all those bad throws, he looked devastated afterwards. Sungoliath advances to the JRLO final against the winner of tomorrows other semi-final, Wild Knights vs Spears.

Last edited:
In the other semi-final the Wild Knights beat the Spears 24-10. It wasn't as close as it sounds, the Spears scored their only try in garbage time (final seconds).

*So the JRLO Championship match will feature #1 ranked Sungoliath against #2 Wild Knights, as most expected.

Brave Lupus will play the Spears for third place.

Last edited:
I watched the full match on The Rugby Network and Brave Lupus gave that one away. They blew four line outs in a row which led to the game winning try for Sungoliath. I felt sorry for the guy who made all those bad throws, he looked devastated afterwards. Sungoliath advances to the JRLO final against the winner of tomorrows other semi-final, Wild Knights vs Spears.
I was so impressed by Brave Lupus. I thought they'd get spanked.

The Spears beat Brave Lupus in the JRLO Third Place playoff game, 23-15. Brave Lupus had line out problems for the second game in a row. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Honda Heat from Div. 2 beat the Green Rockets in a relegation game, 24-22. But the announcer said the Green Rockets will remain in Div. 1 for the 2023 season.

Last edited:
JRLO 2022 Final - (defending champions) Wild Knights 18 Sungoliath 12

Very entertaining season, I really enjoyed it. :cool: This is the 6th championship for the Wild Knights, while Sungoliath and Brave Lupus both have 5 each.

1653808632702.png

Last edited:

Latest posts