• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonny W vs Dan Carter

Not sure why this is till being debated. I thought it was now acknowledged that Carter was the most complete and greatest 10 of the modern era.

Carter still averages more points than Wilkinson in international rugby. He's scored over 100 more points than Wilkinson in fewer international games (so that 4 year argument doesn't work at all). Daniel Carter has also scored more test tries than any other 10 in history with 29 (equal with Giteau, but many of Giteau's weren't at 10).

Average points and try records is a pretty pointless back up to arguing Carter being better tbh. The circumstances and teams both played in were so different. Of course Carter is going to score more points when he plays for a team who has been the best in the world for 9 of the last 10 years.

and nearly every issue was about Jonny's greatness...or his soon to be greatness once he returned to the game. The expectation was so great that Jonny's 'legend' has always been bigger than he ever was. Even with the injuries there was this feeling that Jonny would come back and save the day. So that has always been my impression of the man, a legend that lives on despite a greatness that never quite was.

That's just British media though.
They hype up everything, about 50% of the readership; those who don't actually understand the game take what they say as gospel. The rest of us don't actually listen to their rhetoric.
They do that with pretty much all sports.

In a story about Carter was at game in Croker in Nov 08 when Ireland played All Blacks. 1 of most impressive things I seen. Carter in warm up stood at half way line and placed cones under posts and in 2 corners. And every kick stopped dead within 2-3 foot of cone

Would be impressive if he was doing duty for the Harlem Globe Trotters IMO. Larkham for me no. 1

For me Wilkinson and Larkham are close for the second best. The best one is obviously Cristophe Lamaison. Just kidding, DC is hands down the best. I don't think he was the best at every single aspect of the game though. Wilko was the best ito tactical kicking and defense, and Larkham edges it ito linebreaks at first receiver. Dan Carter excells at pretty much everything, while being the best by a long, long way in backline playing.
You are saying Carter could threw a better pass than Larkham?
larkham2_zpsd1a49843.gif

What did DC contribute to his countries WC success in the semi final and final of a World Cup? Missing a drop or too scared to take one?

larkham2_zpsd1a49843.gif

What did DC contribute to his countries WC success in the semi final and final of a World Cup? Missing a drop or too scared to take one?

He said in backline play not specifically passing.

Also Carter is also a great passer and also ahead of Larkham in other facets such as goal kicking, tactical kicking, tackling, running.

If Carter played full RWC 2011 it's safe to say they would have by a greater margin than with Slade/Cruden/Donald at 10.

If we're going to be judging 10's by passing then this guy comes out on top anyway.

diapo8e9d18a7ec30370b128ebec78fefc4bd.gif

Last edited:
Carter, because he's from another planet. Sorry kiwis, you can't even claim he's from NZ...dude's obviously an alien pretending to blend into human society...
But for human beings, I think Wilko's the best ever.

* With Wilko it's textbook perfection, he won many games for England (Eng doesn't win in NZ in 2003 with anyone else at the boot), and that during their best era ever, and England's had a lot of strong eras...so that's saying a lot. Ridiculous dedication, humility (the real one, not false humility in front of the cameras) and a total rarity for the FH position: solid defense. He's bulked up without losing too much mobility. Deadly kicking.

* DC.....is from another planet. That's my argument in front of the court, with a straight face.

Carter still averages more points than Wilkinson in international rugby. He's scored over 100 more points than Wilkinson in fewer international games (so that 4 year argument doesn't work at all). Daniel Carter has also scored more test tries than any other 10 in history with 29 (equal with Giteau, but many of Giteau's weren't at 10).
Thought to be fair, a lot of those points and tries were against the Lions. That's just too easy.

* With Wilko it's textbook perfection, he won many games for England (Eng doesn't win in NZ in 2003 with anyone else at the boot), and that during their best era ever, and England's had a lot of strong eras...so that's saying a lot. Ridiculous dedication, humility (the real one, not false humility in front of the cameras) and a total rarity for the FH position: solid defense. He's bulked up without losing too much mobility. Deadly kicking.

Not really a rarity anymore. There are now as many good defenders if not more who hold their own at 10 defensively (Butch James, Sexton, Farrell, Contepomi, Biggar, Carter) as ones who are just doormats and are pretty weak (O'Gara, Orquera, Parks, Michalak).

The Tongan fly half Pierre Hola could knock people out cold with his hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said in backline play not specifically passing.

Also Carter is also a great passer and also ahead of Larkham in other facets such as goal kicking, tactical kicking, tackling, running.

If Carter played full RWC 2011 it's safe to say they would have by a greater margin than with Slade/Cruden/Donald at 10.

If we're going to be judging 10's by passing then this guy comes out on top anyway.

diapo8e9d18a7ec30370b128ebec78fefc4bd.gif

I like the way that pass looks so brilliant and true enough picks out the player well but is technically its an awful pass :p

I like the way that pass looks so brilliant and true enough picks out the player well but is technically its an awful pass :p

Not sure I understand. In what way is it technically an awful pass? It's one of the most visionary passes I've seen, he just had no right to put the man free on the outside from that position.

Would be impressive if he was doing duty for the Harlem Globe Trotters IMO. Larkham for me no. 1

larkham2_zpsd1a49843.gif

Cool Red Herring bro! :bye:

And he could kick like a boss 4 drop goals against london wasps and in the end had 37 points from it (H cup record)

Just saying! Humps should be the best in the world no doubt

Eh? A spinned looped over two players whilst being on the run forward and with minimal backswing which lands perfectly in front of the player for him to run onto. Explain how it's awful???

and won a European cup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvcjeMaQx6I
SEE I CAN USE YOUTUBE TOO!

Never seen this before but that is superb try.

Wilkinson is good at what he does, perhaps the best at what he does. Wilkinson is great with a good pack behind him. Carter though can produce magic at any moment and turn a game on its head. Wilkinson can't do that. Carter is basically everything you could ever want from a first five. Anyone who thinks Wilkinson is better should watch the 2005 2nd Lions test. I have never seen a better individual performance from an All Black.

For me it goes -

1. Carter
2. Larkham
3. Wilkinson
4. Mehrtens
5. Spencer

Everyone below Carter is arguable - except Spencer who has to be at the bottom.

For me it goes -

1. Carter
2. Larkham
3. Wilkinson
4. Mehrtens
5. Spencer

Everyone below Carter is arguable - except Spencer who has to be at the bottom.
I'd put Giteau over Spencer. Dude had the same/similar X-Factor playmaking ability as Carlos but could kick (general play and goal-kick) at a fairly high level (as far as "Elite" first-fives go).

Plus their "peak" of their powers were similarly, relatively short lived.

Latest posts