• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kiwi Barometer

They would get aboslutely smashed an wouldnt hav enough money for all the traveling and whatnot.

Sure they'd get smashed the first few years, but they'd be more competitive.. They've shown in the past they have what it takes.. If they could keep some of the players in Super14 who won't be All Blacks, they'd be very strong. They'd have the Super14 to pick from.

Look at Italy.. They were a craphouse team, and now they beat the Scots.

Samoa have beaten Wales at the RWC a couple of times, and pushed Australia and England close.

If Samoa can improve on that, they'd be a force for sure

Edit: Argentina would struggle without their top euro players. Samoa would be a stronger team without their euro players, and would be made stronger if players like Smith, Leo'o, Masaga etc.. played for them..

Oh im sorry. Gosh.

Well i agree it would be good for the samoans and would be interesting to watch but why not eventually make a Five Nations tournament with Argentina and a Pacific Islands team

i reckon it would make for great entertainment international rugby growth..and not so much money gain(which is what the irb really cares about)

I don't think a pacific islands team would benefit the Samoa, Fiji, and Tonga.

It'll be like having a lions team, it doesnt benefit the smaller nations within. I only mentioned Samoa because they are ranked higher the last time i checked, and they have a lot of players in NZ, that could play for them, if Samoa played year in year out against top teams, and got huge exposure.

yer, the problem is that they probably won't make much revenue, as Samoa doesn't really pull in the crowds

Ok. I mentioned a Pacific Island team because if you only put Samoa in then they probably wouldnt have a Pacific Tri-Nations anymore. Although if they don't tour much or at all they could probably fit it all in.

there is the pacific six nations....which includes the Junior Abs,, japan, fiji, samoa, tonga and australia a.

if one of fiji, samoa or tonga can win the tournament then only they will be worthy of being considered to be included in a expanded tri-nations.

argentina must be included in the trinations as long as they can field the best possible team. ie. none of this NH clubs issues that forces them to field a 2nd string team.

back to the topic.... luke mccalister and ice toeava looks to me as the best mid-field combination in nz since aaron mauger and tana umaga. both are very dynamic players and strong aswell. maccalister has matured alot and is making correct decisions. toeava seems to have settled into the number 13 jersey, all he has to do now is stay focussed when it comes catching the ball.

aaron mauger needs to be on top of his game when he returns

there is the pacific six nations....which includes the Junior Abs,, japan, fiji, samoa, tonga and australia a.

if one of fiji, samoa or tonga can win the tournament then only they will be worthy of being considered to be included in a expanded tri-nations.

argentina must be included in the trinations as long as they can field the best possible team. ie. none of this NH clubs issues that forces them to field a 2nd string team.

back to the topic.... luke mccalister and ice toeava looks to me as the best mid-field combination in nz since aaron mauger and tana umaga. both are very dynamic players and strong aswell. maccalister has matured alot and is making correct decisions. toeava seems to have settled into the number 13 jersey, all he has to do now is stay focussed when it comes catching the ball.

aaron mauger needs to be on top of his game when he returns
[/b]

I agree, if Toeava catches the ball 99% of the time then he will could possibly become the worlds best centre and Luke McAlister could also be the worlds best second-five in a few years.

Which wings do you guys think should play in the All Blacks? There are lots out there at the moment playing awesomely.

the fijian boys are my pick for the wings based on end on last years form. sivivatu on the left and rokocoko on the right. rico gear would be my backup wing.
but based on super 14 form in 07 so far i think i will go for lelia masaga and david smith. but i doubt they will be picked for the ABs this year

Well David Smith cant play because he hasnt been in New Zealand long enough or something. Scott Hamilton is playing well and might get picked again. Lelia Masaga has indeed been playing well. I would probably pick Hosea Gear over Rico Gear as so far Rico Gear hasnt made much of an impact.

Another winger who has also been impressive is Roy Kinikinilau. Powerful, strong, and fast. He has the ability to become the next Lomu.

OK back on track to Round 5…
2. Jason MacDonald (Highlanders). Who is this guy… week in, week out â€" solid performances, last week effort against the Blues gets him a spot
3. John Afoa (Blues). His effort against the Highlanders was BIG, not one of my favourites but based on last weeks effort - IN
4. Kieran Read (Crusaders). Another young guy that has consistently stepped up
5. Troy Flavell (Blues). What can you say… last week was a blinder
6. Not sure, to me no one stood out or up
7. Not sure, to me no one stood out or up
8. Jerome Kaino (Blues), just pips Mose Tuiali'i (Crusaders). Great effort last week.
9. Not sure, to me no one stood out or up
10. Stephen Brett (Crusaders). Again another solid performance, pleasure to watch
11. David Smith (Hurricanes). As Chiro would say DAVID SMITH! DAVID SMITH! DAVID SMITH! Looked like the only player in the Canes last week that was there to win.
12. Luke McAlister (Blues). Great effort against the Highlanders… looking to be a GREAT future 2nd5
13. Isaia Toe'ava (Blues). Man of the round, 2 tries… just keeps getting better and better, pleasure to watch and a great ambassador for the Island nations.
14. Lelia Masaga (Chiefs). A constant threat last week against the Cheetahs, not his fault they drew.
15. Scott Hamilton (Crusaders). OK they lost, and the last minute didn’t look to good bit other than that he had a flawless game.

Who's missing?

1. Ben Franks (Crusaders) - Superb perfomance against the tough Sharks pack.
2. Jason McDonald (Highlanders) - This guy reminds me of Keith Woods
3. John Afoa (Blues)
4. Ross Filipo (Crusaders)
5. Troy Flavell (Blues)
6. Angus McDonald (Blues) - Did anyone see the hit he put on Dermody?
7. Daniel Braid (Blues) - Not many stood out this week so have to go with Braid
8. Jerome Kaino (Blues) - Superb display. Tough call between him and Tuiali'i.
9. Jimmy Cowan (Highlanders) - again not many standouts but Cowan did well for a lost cause.
10. Stephen Brett (Crusaders) - Give him another season and Carter might have to find a new team.
11. Roy Kinikinilau (Chiefs)
12. Luke McAlister (Blues)
13. Isaia Toeava (Blues)
14. Lelia Masaga (Chiefs)
15. Scott Hamilton (Crusaders)

9. Jimmy Cowan (Crusaders) â€" looks a lot better out of SA and good weekend on defence
[/b]

Just like to say That Jimmy Cowan is in the Highlanders not the Crusaders he is not one of those Cantabs lol!! :p

1. Ben Franks (Crusaders)
2. Jason McDonald (Highlanders)
3. John Afoa (Blues)
4. Ross Filipo (Crusaders)
5. Troy Flavell (Blues)
6. Angus McDonald (Blues)
7. Daniel Braid (Blues)
8. Jerome Kaino (Blues)
9. mathewson
10. brett
11. david
12. luke
13. ice
14. masaga (doing what rocks did when he 1st came on the scene)
15. corey jane ( scott hamilton is a slow ginger)

Latest posts