• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lansdowne All Clear

A

An Tarbh

Well the all clear has been given for Lansdowne Road to be redeveloped after the appeals process finished up today.

Planning permission is subject to meeting 23 conditions but there has been no reduction in capacity and no restriction in the number of sporting events that can take place. There is also the proviso for 3 concerts to be held each year which is the same amount as Croke Park are allowed.

Thank f*** for that is all I have to say, now get on with the work so we can get back there.

I can't wait for it to be finished. By the time it's finished I'll be able to travel over and watch a rugby match there! I've wanted to play (I probably wont play now but when I was 12 it was a possibility lol) at these stadiums (or redevelopments) since i was 12: Landsdowne Road, Cardiff Arms Park and Twickenham.

All we need now is for them to get the finger out and get the job done on time, although there's about as much chance of that happening in this country as there is for Ireland winning the cricket world cup.

It was stuck riiiiiight in the corner of Lansdowne Road right into the stadium. Any redevelopment would have to demolish the cottage in order to make a complete stadium.

It is kind of like the Millenium Stadium and the fiasco over the old Arms Park Stadium next door.

Edit: Imagine you building the Telstra Stadium, but having a little dinky house right where the upper left corner of the stadium would be.

This is fantastic, but it is such a shame that its gonna go Corporate as it was one of the last stadiums in the world that was purely about the rugby...

But the development was needed and finally glad they have approved it...

Not really I don't see why it's an issue when the stadium is being built half way between the existing pitch and the back pitch.

Was that how they dealt with it?

Because that Clubhouse was apparently a huge sticking point in the Lansdowne Road development plans.

Is it still standing An??

Because that Clubhouse was apparently a huge sticking point in the Lansdowne Road development plans.
[/b]

It wasnt exactly a huge issue, but definately a sticking point. The club owners were causing a fuss to get additional tickets and space in the new stadium. I dont think they were particularly concerned about keeping the old building, they just had some fairly outragous demands regarding reserved ticket allocation.

No idea what happened in the end, but I presume they got close to what they wanted.

isnt the capacity only being raised by like 2 thousand or something? But 15m taller than croke park! Theres a school accross the road from it, would it tower over it a bit?

they shoulda made it a 90,000 seater and super high tech none of this 50,000 seat bullshit, theyve shown they can sell out the croker at 80 some thousand and im sure they could do the same with a 80-90,000 seat stadium.

If you knew anything about the price of property in Dublin, you'd know that'd be far to expensive for whoever is financing it to ever consider. Then you have to consider infostructure, planning, the fact it's near the docks (the shittist part of Dublin bar Ballymon) so redevelopment of more then just the stadium would need to happen, getting the new stadium built by a pre-agreed deadline and pain in the arse old people who refuse to move.

You make it sound so simple.