• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Wasps

So no O'Driscoll, Contepomi moves to the centre with Sexton in at fly half, yes Fitzgerald in for the try.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 18 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
RTÉ calling obstruction, BBC saying fair try, what's the story?[/b]
Cipriani offloaded in the corner to Staunton, Jennings shoved Cipriani into Dempsey leaving Staunton an easy run-in. At first it looked like deliberate obstruction, but after the replay you could see he was pushed into the defender. Still don't know if it should be a try or not. :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 18 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 18 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RTÉ calling obstruction, BBC saying fair try, what's the story?[/b]
Cipriani offloaded in the corner to Staunton, Jennings shoved Cipriani into Dempsey leaving Staunton an easy run-in. At first it looked like deliberate obstruction, but after the replay you could see he was pushed into the defender. Still don't know if it should be a try or not. :huh:
[/b][/quote]

then that sounds like a fair try.

Unlucky for Leinster by the sounds of it with Contepomi fluffing a try scoring pass.

Right then that's the bonus point, let's just make sure it's a winning one.

29-11. 57 mins

Good lord RTÉ if people are listening to this they don't give a **** about the Man Utd match and they certainly don't give a **** about hockey.

and Kearney in for no. 6 as Leinster now lead by 30 points, not many would have predicted that especially if you'd said no O'Driscoll or no Cullen for the second half.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Oct 18 2008, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Congrats Leinster.

Wasps need a fullback![/b]

I assume Van Gisbergen is coming back from some sort of injury cause surely he wouldn't be on the bench behind Staunton in the normal course of events?

Thought Leinster were going to get hammered in the second half because the Wasps pack was chewing them to pieces. Turned out the other way round!

Really impressed by the blues, but I just don't understand what turned the game around?? Leinster backrow bossed it after being bossed in the first half.

I hope Kearney starts at Fullback against Canada. Great match, great result for Leinster.

Now thats what I wanted to see. Its a performance of that quality that can really kick off a season. The RDS was buzzing again, and Leinster put in a pretty perfect performance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Oct 18 2008, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Really impressed by the blues, but I just don't understand what turned the game around?? Leinster backrow bossed it after being bossed in the first half.[/b]
Didnt see it like that at all. Granted I was at the game and you never quite see it as clearly, but I didnt think we were bossed at all. It was a good contest but neither team dominated. Wasps had a lot of the ball but they were taking a lot of big hits. Sackey for example, everytime he had the ball he got two Leinster players at the same time and ended up being driven back with the ball. By the end of the game he looked less and less interested in running it.

I felt Leinster dominated through their defense. Three times Wasps were on our line with the ball and came away with nothing to show for it. In the second half they gave Danny Cipriani absolutely no space and Wasps just got themselves into more and more trouble as they tried to shift it out the line. Leinster swarmed them and the breakdown contest ended up behind their gainline. Leinster turned them over and were pretty clinical in space. Where Wasps failed to Score, Leinster converted a lot more of their chances.

• Luke Fitzgerald is the real deal at centre. With and without the ball he looked class.
  • Staunton is not, and never will be a full back. Kearney beat him everytime for the high ball. Free turnovers really.
  • O'Driscoll is a has-been, he's finished and will never be the same player again :wall:
  • Cipriani looked lively but I expected more. With ball in hand he was alright but all through the second half he just got his team in trouble. Not a good day the office.
It could have been a costly game for Leinster. "it was confirmed that Brian O’Driscoll suffered a knee ligament injury, while Leo Cullen suffered a suspected broken collarbone". O'Driscoll hobbled off at half time so hopefully it wont be too serious (thank **** it wasnt the hamstring). CJ, Wright and Fitzgerald all looked like they were hurting at the end. Fitzgerald looked like he was playing through a hamstring strain (lots of stretching) but went to the end.

Leinster's defence in the first half was pretty good - there were some slipped tackles - but on TV it was looking ominous up front, despite two extraordinary tries. Worsley and Rees were a hive of activity, and you had to expect that to continue in the next half.

Maybe it was the scrum that changed it, but then there weren't that many scrums in the second half. So I'm still wondering what it is they need to reproduce to make them favourites for the cup.

Fitzgerald looks a wonderful player.

Was this sarcasm:
"O'Driscoll is a has-been, he's finished and will never be the same player again"
He's delivered some great attack in the past two matches. And it was only when he went down with the knee injury that Cipriani had the noodle to split the midfield.

Cipri tends to crab toward the touchline - he's very fast, good hands, but that's not too difficult to defend against. (Did you get to meet Kelly Brooke?)

Anyway, Leinster would have put on 60 points if the nutty prof had played a better game. I was there when Wasps destroyed Leinster in the 1/4 final two (?) years ago - bitter day with Reddan dominant. So this result is Wow!

Yeah it was sarcasm. Cant understand how people doubt the guy.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Leinster head coach Michael Cheika:
"You are never in the driving seat. Every game is a final, and we understand that the next challenge will be another thorough test for us in this tournament.

"Wasps keep coming at you, and we knew that we needed to stand up for ourselves tonight."

Cheika on Brian O'Driscoll:
"The injury doesn't look too serious. Brian has taken a knock on his knee, and we made the decision to take him off at half-time."

Wasps rugby director Ian McGeechan:
"When five of the opposition tries come from turnovers, you are not going to win any game.

"At 15-11 behind at half-time, it was everything to play for, but we made a couple of errors early in the second half, and credit to Leinster for taking their opportunities.

"Everything is now down to what we do in the four remaining group games, but Leinster are in the driving seat - there is no doubt about that."

Wasps coach Shaun Edwards:
"Leinster's kicking game was on a different planet to ours. "I thought they were far the more dominant side, but what happened tonight has been the story of our season. But there can be no excuses. We were second-best by a long shot."[/b]

Latest posts