• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Limpopo to play Vodacom Cup

You see, comments like this won't win you any fans! Stop being such a ********!

Limpopo is seperate from the Blue Bulls!!! FOR **** SAKES!!!

They will be back in the mix for next year's tournament. They already have sponsors and deals in the pipeline. They are also trying to lure Some guys back to the province who are originally from this area to play for them instead of other teams in the Vodacom cup.

Guys like:
Brendon Snyman (Leopards)
John Mametsa (Blue Bulls) - He's retired from rugby, but he moved back to Polokwane and is part of the rugby community and he's considering his options.
Jan De Klerk (WP) - He played for Maties in the Varsity Cup in the final this year

Then the highly unlikely ones:
Trevor Nyakane (Cheetahs)
Deon Fourie (WP)
Chilliboy Ralepelle (Bulls)
John Smit (Sharks)
Danie Rossouw (Toulon)
Pedrie Wannenburg
Lay of the insults its getting old. John Smit is the CEO of the Sharks I fail to imagine seeing him go to Limpopo.

The Blue Bulls Golf Day to promote the Limpopo Blue Bulls as a new autonomous sub-region of the Blue Bulls, was officially launched by the Polokwane Executive Mayor, Freddy Greaver this morning.
BlueBulls-golf-day-2012.jpg

http://www.mypolokwane.com/directory/item/limpopo-blue-bulls

Like I said the BLUE BULLS is a registered brand. Limpopo are know as the LIMPOPO BLUE BULLS.
Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd
http://www.marcgroup.co.za/en/blue_bulls_company_pty_ltd/

Limpopo carry the Blue Bulls name which a registered company and thus belong to the Bulls.

Limpopo Blue Bulls (known as the Assupol Limpopo Blue Bulls for sponsorship reasons) are a South African rugby union team that are part of the Blue Bulls Rugby Union and are therefore represented by the Blue Bulls in the annual Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup tournaments. They play out of Polokwane at the Peter Mokaba Stadium and draw players from the entire Limpopo province in South Africa. Their youth teams participate in competitions such as the Craven Week and Grant Khomo Week.

They played as an independent team in the Vodacom Cup, starting in the 2013 season.

It was a very disappointing season, with the Limpopo Blue Bulls breaking several unwanted records, including the biggest ever first class loss in South African rugby history, when they lost 161–3 to the Golden Lions on 27 April 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limpopo_Blue_Bulls

So again the Blue Bulls is a company. The Blue Bulls Limpopo or the Vodacom Blue Bulls belong to the same company.

Assupol Life is actively involved in grass-roots level development. We believe that young players must be empowered and serve as the breeding ground for senior teams. Assupol Life is committed to playing a major role in grass-roots development, which is in line with our business strategy. We continue to support rugby at all levels, showing our commitment and support for rugby. This is why Assupol Life is a proud sponsor of the Amateur Blue Bulls.

Last edited:
Lay of the insults its getting old. John Smit is the CEO of the Sharks I fail to imagine seeing him go to Limpopo.

The Blue Bulls Golf Day to promote the Limpopo Blue Bulls as a new autonomous sub-region of the Blue Bulls, was officially launched by the Polokwane Executive Mayor, Freddy Greaver this morning.
BlueBulls-golf-day-2012.jpg

http://www.mypolokwane.com/directory/item/limpopo-blue-bulls

Like I said the BLUE BULLS is a registered brand. Limpopo are know as the LIMPOPO BLUE BULLS.
Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd
http://www.marcgroup.co.za/en/blue_bulls_company_pty_ltd/

Limpopo carry the Blue Bulls name which a registered company and thus belong to the Bulls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limpopo_Blue_Bulls

So again the Blue Bulls is a company. The Blue Bulls Limpopo or the Vodacom Blue Bulls belong to the same company.

Erm... That Golf day was held on the 4th of June 2012, not this morning. I know... I was there!!

They play out of Polokwane at the Peter Mokaba Stadium and draw players from the entire Limpopo province in South Africa. Their youth teams participate in competitions such as the Craven Week and Grant Khomo Week.

Yeah, like I said, not a single player from the Blue Bulls... Entirely a fresh new pool of players that didn't get a chance at the other 14 rugby unions. in other words, all of them were still amateurs at the start of the season...

They played as an independent team in the Vodacom Cup, starting in the 2013 season.

Contradiction again in your own post.

Yes the Blue Bulls is a company, and The Limpopo Bulls are a sub-union of them. It's exactly the same as saying that Fiat and Ferrari are owned by the same company and that fiat gets the same benefits as ferrari...

Erm... That Golf day was held on the 4th of June 2012, not this morning. I know... I was there!!

Yeah, like I said, not a single player from the Blue Bulls... Entirely a fresh new pool of players that didn't get a chance at the other 14 rugby unions. in other words, all of them were still amateurs at the start of the season...

Contradiction again in your own post.

Yes the Blue Bulls is a company, and The Limpopo Bulls are a sub-union of them. It's exactly the same as saying that Fiat and Ferrari are owned by the same company and that fiat gets the same benefits as ferrari...
Again if Limpopo were created as a independent Professional Union they would be part of the Bulls franchise will then be entitled to their share of Super Rugby funding as well as assistance from SARU whereas they are currently dependent on handouts from the Blue Bulls like that golf day fund raiser for them. It also show what the Bulls have really done for development of rugby in that region in spite of drawing the best to Pretoria. Absolute shocking and show just they did not bother with development but poached more than anything else.

Again if Limpopo were created as a independent Professional Union they would be part of the Bulls franchise will then be entitled to their share of Super Rugby funding as well as assistance from SARU whereas they are currently dependent on handouts from the Blue Bulls like that golf day fund raiser for them. It also show what the Bulls have really done for development of rugby in that region in spite of drawing the best to Pretoria. Absolute shocking and show just they did not bother with development but poached more than anything else.

If that was the case, the. Why didn't the Blue Bulls give limpopo some players??? It would have been better for the Blue Bulls image to have their sub-union have a quality team getting wins and being competitive. The funding for the golf day wasn't done by the blue bulls, it was done by sponsors from Limpopo.

Please show me some FACTS where the blue bulls assisted the limpopo team with players, coaching, regular funding, facilities etc. i will humbly apologize if that is the case...

If that was the case, the. Why didn't the Blue Bulls give limpopo some players??? It would have been better for the Blue Bulls image to have their sub-union have a quality team getting wins and being competitive. The funding for the golf day wasn't done by the blue bulls, it was done by sponsors from Limpopo.

Please show me some FACTS where the blue bulls assisted the limpopo team with players, coaching, regular funding, facilities etc. i will humbly apologize if that is the case...
http://www.beeld.com/Sport/Rugby/Limpopo-wil-nog-2-jaar-in-reeks-speel-20130429
Ons moet nou na die moederliggaam (BBRU) toe gaan en gesprekke voer. Dit is reeds aan die gang – dis nie of ons sit en niks doen nie!"
Translated. We must go to our mother union BBRU for talk and it is already happening.

Answer me this do the Bulls share their money with any of the teams in its franchise? And now I understand where most of their money come from.

http://www.beeld.com/Sport/Rugby/Limpopo-wil-nog-2-jaar-in-reeks-speel-20130429

Translated. We must go to our mother union BBRU for talk and it is already happening.

Answer me this do the Bulls share their money with any of the teams in its franchise? And now I understand where most of their money come from.

I am so glad you used that exact article!! Yet, you went and only copied the very last part of the article, and ignored the big parts of the article:

Dit is nie die span se afrigter, Gideon van Zyl, of die spelers se skuld nie. Hulle is klubspelers, die meeste voluit toegewyd tot 'n daaglikse beroep en ouens wat rugby lief het en geniet om dit te speel.
Translation: It is not the team's coach, Gideon van Zyl, or the players fault. They are CLUB players, and most are fully committed to a daily job. They are guys that love rugby and love playing rugby.

Vooraf was daar sprake dat die Blou Bulle Rugbyunie (BBRU), van wie Limpopo 'n subunie is, sommige van sy ongebruikte spelers aan die Vodacombeker-nuweling sou leen.

Volgens die adjunkpresident van die Limpopo-Blou Bulle, Charles van Wyk, was dit ook nie 'n uitweg nie:

"Toe ons begin het om te onderhandel dat Limpopo in 'n ander liga as 'n amateurliga speel, het ons dit gedoen omdat daar 'n oplewing in rugby in die streek is.

Previously there were talks that some unused Blue Bulls Players in the Vodacom cup would be lended to the Limpopo Bulls. But according to Charles van Wyk, deputy-president of the Limpopo Bulls, that wasn't a move they wanted.

"When we started negotiations to play in another tournament other than the amateur league, it was because there has been an increase in the life of rugby in the province."

"Daarom moes ons die ouens van die streek eerste speelkans gee, anders het ons klubrugby in Limpopo doodgemaak.
That's why we had to give guys in the province first choice to play, otherwise we would have killed clubrugby in Limpopo

"Ek wil ook 'n beroep op die gemeenskap van Limpopo doen om ons te ondersteun. Daar is ouens wat vir oefeninge 264 km tussen Pietersburg (Polokwane) en Ellisras (Lephalale) moet ry en ander na Musina.

"Ons oefen net op Dinsdae en Donderdae, twee uur op 'n slag.
I also want to ask the community to support us. There are some guys that drive 264km between Polokwane and Ellisras or Musina.

We practice only Tuesdays and Thursdays, for 2 hours.

"Ek wil nie daaroor huil nie, maar dit is die werklikheid. Miskien is ons grootste probleem 'n ordentlike borgskap," het Van Wyk gesê.

I don't want to cry about it, but that is the reality. Maybe our biggest problem is sponsorship.

"En vanjaar het ons nou gesien wat ons krag in Limpopo is, hoeveel ouens ons het om te gebruik en hoeveel ons moet inkry.
This year, we have seen what power we have in Limpopo, how many guys we can use, and how many we must get.

So mr. Sifplay, to answer your pathetic question: No, the Blue Bulls doesn't share their money with other teams, at least not with their sub-union, the Limpopo Bulls. The article you used, was dated on the 29th of April 2013, in other words after all the matches took place. And the quote you used, points out that they only now recently started talks with the BBRU. So in other words, before the tournament started, and while it was going on, the Limpopo Bulls were on their own...

I am so glad you used that exact article!! Yet, you went and only copied the very last part of the article, and ignored the big parts of the article:

Translation: It is not the team's coach, Gideon van Zyl, or the players fault. They are CLUB players, and most are fully committed to a daily job. They are guys that love rugby and love playing rugby.

Previously there were talks that some unused Blue Bulls Players in the Vodacom cup would be lended to the Limpopo Bulls. But according to Charles van Wyk, deputy-president of the Limpopo Bulls, that wasn't a move they wanted.

"When we started negotiations to play in another tournament other than the amateur league, it was because there has been an increase in the life of rugby in the province."

That's why we had to give guys in the province first choice to play, otherwise we would have killed clubrugby in Limpopo

I also want to ask the community to support us. There are some guys that drive 264km between Polokwane and Ellisras or Musina.

We practice only Tuesdays and Thursdays, for 2 hours.

I don't want to cry about it, but that is the reality. Maybe our biggest problem is sponsorship.

This year, we have seen what power we have in Limpopo, how many guys we can use, and how many we must get.

So mr. Sifplay, to answer your pathetic question: No, the Blue Bulls doesn't share their money with other teams, at least not with their sub-union, the Limpopo Bulls. The article you used, was dated on the 29th of April 2013, in other words after all the matches took place. And the quote you used, points out that they only now recently started talks with the BBRU. So in other words, before the tournament started, and while it was going on, the Limpopo Bulls were on their own...
You still do not get. The SUper 12 started in 1996. That is 17 years ago. That was when the Franchises got a fat cheque for player development i that region and for contracted players. What did the Bulls do today for development in its region? 17 years later they placed a team from the Limpopo province in the Vodacom cup and they get beaten by over a 100 points week in week out. Did any other franchise have a team that got beaten that bad? No.

Reason? Because we develop our own and have programs and tournaments as well as use the money for it. How many players of color are from Pretoria went to school there or in that region in the last 16 17 years? And yousay you have the largest supporters of color? You can't even develop 5 or 6 of your own. You did not care to use that moeny for development as its easy to go to Craven week and buy players from other Unions by using TUks to approach youngsters.

This is the Bulls development system for 17 years ladies and gentleman

Bjorn Basson Griquas

Ulrich Beyers Pumas

Arno Botha - Limpopo Blue Bulls

JJ Engelbrecht EP

Louis Fouché - Leopards

Dean Greyling

Grant Hattingh

Francois Hougaard WP

Zane Kirchner SWD

Frik Kirsten

Juandré Kruger WP

Werner Kruger Cheetahs

Lionel Mapoe Cheetahs

Sampie Mastriet Boland

Bongi Mbonambi EP

Morne Mellett Falcons

Akona Ndungane Border

Wynand Olivier Cheetahs

Rudy Paige SWD

Handrè Pollard WP

Dewald Potgieter Border

Jacques Potgieter EP

Chiliboy Ralepelle

Jan Serfontein Cheetahs

William Small-Smith Cheetahs

Pierre Spies

Wilhelm Steenkamp WP

Deon Stegmann Cheetahs

Morné Steyn Cheetahs/WP

Flip Van der Merwe Cheetahs

Francois Venter Cheetahs

Jano Vermaak - Lions

Callie Visagie WP

Jurgen Visser WP

Willie Wepener Lions

Paul Willemse Lions

Marcel van der Merwe Cheetahs

Cornell Hess - SWD

Jean Cook - Cheetahs

Grant Hattingh WP

Shaun Adendorf Lions

Ruaan Snyman - Leopards

Clayton Blommetjies - Boland

Guys with no province next to it comes from Bulls region. One player of color Radepele. The rest were all poached. Now one wonder why SA rugby is going backwards. We have 3 Franchises using their money to develop youngsters and we have 2 who mostly spunch of those 3. Not everyone is pulling weight and the strain is showing as the ship is started sinking. But the Bulls supporters are so obsess with winning that they do not look at the bigger picture and see they are hurting our rugby. Wonder what Burger Geldenhuys and Frik du Preez are thinking seeing that once all might Blue Bulls pack getting stuffed by most teams while they stock talent from Varsity team to Super RUgby team and youngsters they do not have place for they keep around for a couple of years and let them go to England lost to our rugby.

If you still do not get it go look at the Kiwi teams. You will not see them let their top players sit on a bench. They will move them where they get to play.

Technically, the franchise system did not start in 1996, but I get your point.

You still do not get. The SUper 12 started in 1996. That is 17 years ago. That was when the Franchises got a fat cheque for player development i that region and for contracted players. What did the Bulls do today for development in its region? 17 years later they placed a team from the Limpopo province in the Vodacom cup and they get beaten by over a 100 points week in week out. Did any other franchise have a team that got beaten that bad? No.

Reason? Because we develop our own and have programs and tournaments as well as use the money for it. How many players of color are from Pretoria went to school there or in that region in the last 16 17 years? And yousay you have the largest supporters of color? You can't even develop 5 or 6 of your own. You did not care to use that moeny for development as its easy to go to Craven week and buy players from other Unions by using TUks to approach youngsters.

This is the Bulls development system for 17 years ladies and gentleman

Bjorn Basson Griquas

Ulrich Beyers Pumas

Arno Botha - Limpopo Blue Bulls

JJ Engelbrecht EP

Louis Fouché - Leopards

Dean Greyling

Grant Hattingh

Francois Hougaard WP

Zane Kirchner SWD

Frik Kirsten

Juandré Kruger WP

Werner Kruger Cheetahs

Lionel Mapoe Cheetahs

Sampie Mastriet Boland

Bongi Mbonambi EP

Morne Mellett Falcons

Akona Ndungane Border

Wynand Olivier Cheetahs

Rudy Paige SWD

Handrè Pollard WP

Dewald Potgieter Border

Jacques Potgieter EP

Chiliboy Ralepelle

Jan Serfontein Cheetahs

William Small-Smith Cheetahs

Pierre Spies

Wilhelm Steenkamp WP

Deon Stegmann Cheetahs

Morné Steyn Cheetahs/WP

Flip Van der Merwe Cheetahs

Francois Venter Cheetahs

Jano Vermaak - Lions

Callie Visagie WP

Jurgen Visser WP

Willie Wepener Lions

Paul Willemse Lions

Marcel van der Merwe Cheetahs

Cornell Hess - SWD

Jean Cook - Cheetahs

Grant Hattingh WP

Shaun Adendorf Lions

Ruaan Snyman - Leopards

Clayton Blommetjies - Boland

Guys with no province next to it comes from Bulls region. One player of color Radepele. The rest were all poached. Now one wonder why SA rugby is going backwards. We have 3 Franchises using their money to develop youngsters and we have 2 who mostly spunch of those 3. Not everyone is pulling weight and the strain is showing as the ship is started sinking. But the Bulls supporters are so obsess with winning that they do not look at the bigger picture and see they are hurting our rugby. Wonder what Burger Geldenhuys and Frik du Preez are thinking seeing that once all might Blue Bulls pack getting stuffed by most teams while they stock talent from Varsity team to Super RUgby team and youngsters they do not have place for they keep around for a couple of years and let them go to England lost to our rugby.

If you still do not get it go look at the Kiwi teams. You will not see them let their top players sit on a bench. They will move them where they get to play.

LMAO!! No you don't get it!! Clearly a Cape Townian! You have no grasp of what is going on up North! this is clear!!

Do you have any idea how big the region is up here?? do you know how the Tuks High School Rugby Series work?

Using the race-card, that won't win you any points. How about we have a bit of a look at the Cape region. How many soccer teams are there from cape Town and surroundings in the PSL? 3!! Ajax Cape Town, Golden Arrows and Chippa United. Now let's see how many teams are in the Bulls region so to speak... Oh, hey look! 'n kakhuis vol!! Supersport United, Mamelodi Sundowns, Tuks, Black Leopards, Platinum Stars and then you of course have the big 3 from Soweto, in Orlando Pirates, Kaizer Chiefs and Moroka Swallows. Throw in Wits too and you will see that gives you a nice round number of 10!!

Our schools system are much more diverse than yours! Lets look at Limpopo, I invite you to come to Polokwane, the Capital of Limpopo (do you even ****ing know where that is??) and drive past the high schools. you will see 3 High Schools with Rugby Fields, 6 with soccer fields and 7 with cricket fields. Clearly this tells you that Rugby isn't as popular as the other sports. But that is just a minor thing. How about you go to schools like Affies, Grey Bloem, Monument, Florida, ****, any high school in the top 50 with a hostel, and then ask to hear how many of the rugby boys are originally from Limpopo!!! The Farmers, and big business men rather send their boys to the big schools where the boys potential will be seen better than at the lower ranked schools. History has proved this!

And to point out to the Bulls Elite team and saying that they don't develop their own players... What are you trying to say?? Every Super Rugby team in SA does this. even the WP. Why Deon Fourie was with me in Hoerskool Pietersburg!!

Once again, there is no medicine for being an idiot. You keep on saying false things, and I will continue to prove you wrong as other members who don't know what's going on in our country might believe you, and that is NOT the truth!!

So please continue with your weak tirade! I am not going anywhere! You want a fight! You got it!!

LMAO!! No you don't get it!! Clearly a Cape Townian! You have no grasp of what is going on up North! this is clear!!

Do you have any idea how big the region is up here?? do you know how the Tuks High School Rugby Series work?

Using the race-card, that won't win you any points. How about we have a bit of a look at the Cape region. How many soccer teams are there from cape Town and surroundings in the PSL? 3!! Ajax Cape Town, Golden Arrows and Chippa United. Now let's see how many teams are in the Bulls region so to speak... Oh, hey look! 'n kakhuis vol!! Supersport United, Mamelodi Sundowns, Tuks, Black Leopards, Platinum Stars and then you of course have the big 3 from Soweto, in Orlando Pirates, Kaizer Chiefs and Moroka Swallows. Throw in Wits too and you will see that gives you a nice round number of 10!!

Our schools system are much more diverse than yours! Lets look at Limpopo, I invite you to come to Polokwane, the Capital of Limpopo (do you even ****ing know where that is??) and drive past the high schools. you will see 3 High Schools with Rugby Fields, 6 with soccer fields and 7 with cricket fields. Clearly this tells you that Rugby isn't as popular as the other sports. But that is just a minor thing. How about you go to schools like Affies, Grey Bloem, Monument, Florida, ****, any high school in the top 50 with a hostel, and then ask to hear how many of the rugby boys are originally from Limpopo!!! The Farmers, and big business men rather send their boys to the big schools where the boys potential will be seen better than at the lower ranked schools. History has proved this!

And to point out to the Bulls Elite team and saying that they don't develop their own players... What are you trying to say?? Every Super Rugby team in SA does this. even the WP. Why Deon Fourie was with me in Hoerskool Pietersburg!!

Once again, there is no medicine for being an idiot. You keep on saying false things, and I will continue to prove you wrong as other members who don't know what's going on in our country might believe you, and that is NOT the truth!!

So please continue with your weak tirade! I am not going anywhere! You want a fight! You got it!!
It is this ignorance and inability to look outside the gates of Loftus that has made me really not care for Bulls supporters.

So to be honest my interest level and opinion on you is sinking faster than the ***anic did.

It is this ignorance and inability to look outside the gates of Loftus that has made me really not care for Bulls supporters.

So to be honest my interest level and opinion on you is sinking faster than the ***anic did.

Ah, finally! Thanx for not responding to my facts. Showing us all that you concede your epic fail.

On another note. The Limpopo Bulls will be having a meeting with Saru, The Blue Bulls Rugby Union, Lions Rugby Union and other representatives. This meeting will be about the step forward, and if they will play again next year. If they are to play next season, the next part of the agenda will be how neighbouring unions in other regions will be able to assist.

Anglo-platinum is in the process of opening 4 mines surrounding Polokwane and are willing to assist with sponsorships, and getting some expertise up North. Pukke university will also have a representative at the meeting as there are currently over 300 male students from the Limpopo Region studying there, and are in some sort of rugby capacity affiliated with the university.

A Kenyan representative team called Simba XV will enter the Vodacom Cup next season. Maybe Limpopo can beat them. Pampas XV withdrew due to financial reasons.

My apologies for bumping this thread.

But I just thought it would be interesting to inform you guys of the progress the Limpopo Blue Bulls have made since the last discussions.

Last year they were trounced, and on several occasions leaked over 100 points in the match.

But have a look at they scores so far for this year:

Leopards 22 - 9 Limpopo Blue Bulls
Golden Lions 31 - 21 Limpopo Blue Bulls

These were much better and much tighter affairs than in the past. Both the Leopards and the Golden Lions scored over 100 points last year against them.

That's good to see

It's very good to see.

They got some assistance though. The Blue Bulls Rugby Union, and the Leopards made a deal with them, help them out.

At the moment they have 5 Blue Bulls and 3 Leopards players playing for them on Loan. These players are still contracted with their home unions, and their Loan spell is on a month to month basis.

These 8 players are however not allowed to be on field all at the same time as per the agreement. And 2 of the 8 at least must be on the Bench for the matches ahead.

So at the moment the squad is 31 players, with 23 being local contracted players. Fun Fact though, 3 of the players from the Blue Bulls and Leopards are actually from Limpopo, and are studying at TUKS and PUK respectively on a sport scholarship.

It's good that these guys are getting a chance to play which might not have happened at their home unions. Wonder how many quality players in SA get lost in the system because of too few opportunities?

It's good that these guys are getting a chance to play which might not have happened at their home unions. Wonder how many quality players in SA get lost in the system because of too few opportunities?

exactly.

And believe me, Limpopo is full of talent.

To name a few players currently playing Super Rugby, who are from Limpopo:

Victor Matfield
Trevor Nyakane
Arno Botha
Dean Greyling
Danie Mienie

Latest posts