• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions after first round games.

Can the Lions talk not be confined to the one thread?

Team

1. Mako Vunipola
2. Jamie George
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Maro Itoje
5. Johnny Gray
6. Chris Robshaw
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Billy Vunipola

9. Connor Murray
10. Johnny Sexton
11. George North
12. Owen Farrell
13. Robbie Henshaw
14. Jack Nowell
15. Stuart Hogg

16. Rory Best
17. JP Nel
18. Samson Lee
19. Ian Henderson
20. James Haskell
21. Ben Youngs
22. Fin Russell
23. Liam Williams

Team

1. Mako Vunipola hasn't played yet
2. Jamie George good outside shout
3. Tadhg Furlong Agreed
4. Maro Itoje Was between ****e and average on Saturday and has not a chance of getting the nod over AWJ
5. Johnny Gray Agreed
6. Chris Robshaw You are having a laugh' if Tips goes Warburton will wear 6
7. Justin Tipuric Agreed
8. Billy Vunipola On the plane as Falatau's understudy (just like when they were kids in Gwent)

9. Connor Murray Agreed if he improves from his off day on Saturday
10. Johnny Sexton If fit maybe, but Sam D may be the bolter if he starts a few games this 6N
11. George North Seymour, Zebo or are ahead of George at the minute
12. Owen Farrell Nothing more than a good club player, Wales Scotland and Ireland have better choices
13. Robbie Henshaw Agreed
14. Jack Nowell Agreed
15. Stuart Hogg Had a good game but 1/2 penny will get a test spot and Liam Williams is a better FB than Hogg the cheat

16. Rory Best Agreed
17. JP Nel Agreed
18. Samson Lee Not good enough to be Wales 1st choice, not a Lion in my opinion
19. Ian Henderson Agreed
20. James Haskell Agreed
21. Ben Youngs Rubbish 9 there are 3 in Wales, plus Laidlaw that are superior
22. Fin Russell Agreed
23. Liam Williams In the 15 not on the bench

Given that the thread ***le says "after first round games", the sides picking players who haven't played, or even players in different positions seem to be missing the point to me.

6. Chris Robshaw You are having a laugh' if Tips goes Warburton will wear 6

With Gatland as manager, probably correct but you undervalue Robshaw hugely

8. Billy Vunipola On the plane as Falatau's understudy (just like when they were kids in Gwent)

If Billy is on the plane he won't be Faletau's understudy

10. Sam D may be the bolter if he starts a few games this 6N

Now who is having a laugh? This tour is far too soon for Davies.

12. Owen Farrell Nothing more than a good club player, Wales Scotland and Ireland have better choices

You show your complete lack of knowledge regarding rugby

15. Stuart Hogg Had a good game but 1/2 penny will get a test spot and Liam Williams is a better FB than Hogg the cheat

Again, with Gatland its a strong possibility. But I'd now rate both Hogg and Liam Williams in front of Halfpenny now.

21. Ben Youngs Rubbish 9 there are 3 in Wales, plus Laidlaw that are superior

Lol, now you are trolling. You have no idea at all do you. Wales have 3 better than Youngs?

I'm surprised you didn't mention serial whinger and all round moaner Dan Bighead? Another with no chance as his form is going backwards.

Robshaw is better than Warburton.

Considering one is out injured and the other is only just coming back, it's a tough comparison to make right now. By the end of the Six Nations, I suspect a few people will be more convinced of Robshaw's value to the England team.

Saying that if Tipuric tours, Warburton will play six is a very bold statement given the competition.

- - - Updated - - -

How does everyone rate Liam Williams' chances of starting at 15? Not based on last week's games, he would be my choice. I share the defensive concerns expressed elsewhere here and agree about 1/2p's form, so Williams gets it by default to me (that's not to say I don't rate him).

^ Whatever position Liam Williams has played, he looks dangerous with ball in hand. I think 15 is his best position and he is certainly better than Halfpenny. I'd be happy with either Williams or Hogg.

I'm surprised you didn't mention serial whinger and all round moaner Dan Bighead? Another with no chance as his form is going backwards.

If you think over rated young is better than Murray Laidlaw or Webb to name 3 then you are viewing games with a large dollop of ****e in your eyes, second point Falatau's cousin will never be better than a fully fit Taulupe, most serious pundits with a much greater depth of rugby knowledge than you have mentioned TF as one of few great NH players that would get in any international side.
I really don't know what this Ben Youngs love in is with English fans.
Finally the word Troll is stupid and generally used by weak lilly livered folk

- - - Updated - - -

Robshaw is better than Warburton.

I can't believe any sane rugby follower would think Robshaw better than Warbs, Gatland certainly doesn't and it him that's selecting the Lions (thank God it's not you)

second point Falatau's cousin will never be better than a fully fit Taulupe, most serious pundits with a much greater depth of rugby knowledge than you have mentioned TF as one of few great NH players that would get in any international side.

Horses for courses IMO. Vunipola is arguably a better carrier than Falatau and has a stronger work rate in defence. Falatau wins in any other area I can think of. On balance, that probably makes him a better player, but it's about balance. If both players were fully fit and available for England, I think Vunipola would start - he performs his role within a poor English back row brilliantly, possibly better than anyone else in the world could. In the same scenario in Wales, with Warburton and Tipuric playing, you could make a case for Vunipola starting again. In Ireland, Vunipola would be third in the list for me.

I really don't know what this Ben Youngs love in is with English fans.

Not all of them. I've been one of his biggest detractors for a long time. There were plenty of others on the England vs France thread. His only outstanding attribute is his kicking, which I believe England could do without. Everything else is average or poor. Murray would have been one of my first names on the team sheet after the AIs, the shirt is still his for me, but it's more by default from what I've seen / heard of last weekend. Fingers crossed for an improved Webb to push him all the way.

Vunipola is very good in defence now, making lots of tackles. Not a surprise given he plays for Saracens.
The comparison is a bit silly as they aren't very similar. Faletau is more a linking player and Vunipola is a big battering ram. To say Faletau would get into any team amazes me. Wouldn't get ahead of Parisse or Read.

Scrum half, if all of Youngs, Murray and Webb are all fit then Murray starts. No question. Youngs and Webb both with front foot ball are incredibly dangerous and probably just goes to who is in better form. Would love Robson to get a chance but he won't for England.

Robshaw is incredibly underrated, makes loads of tackles and does the dirty work. Wonder if Haskell has a chance at the lions?

Vunipola is very good in defence now, making lots of tackles. Not a surprise given he plays for Saracens.
The comparison is a bit silly as they aren't very similar. Faletau is more a linking player and Vunipola is a big battering ram. To say Faletau would get into any team amazes me. Wouldn't get ahead of Parisse or Read.

Scrum half, if all of Youngs, Murray and Webb are all fit then Murray starts. No question. Youngs and Webb both with front foot ball are incredibly dangerous and probably just goes to who is in better form. Would love Robson to get a chance but he won't for England.

Robshaw is incredibly underrated, makes loads of tackles and does the dirty work. Wonder if Haskell has a chance at the lions?

I think Haskell has a good chance of benching on Test days, Robson is IMO underrated and sadly off the radar.

After moaning about this thread i'm now gonna weigh in now.

Does anyone else think AWJ is an average player? I mean i don't get it. He works hard, acts like he cares a lot with the angry face and has a lot of caps......nothing legendary in that. He's ok in the lineout, nothing special as a carrier, he won't get you a turnover and he just makes his tackles like everyone else. How does that make him an automatic selection? The Grays, Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury,....objectively they're all better players imo.

Does anyone else think AWJ is an average player? I mean i don't get it. He works hard, acts like he cares a lot with the angry face and has a lot of caps......nothing legendary in that. He's ok in the lineout, nothing special as a carrier, he won't get you a turnover and he just makes his tackles like everyone else. How does that make him an automatic selection? The Grays, Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury,....objectively they're all better players imo.

Can't say that I massively disagree. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that, but the Lions tour lasts 7 weeks, not 10 years, and the in form players should be picked. Personally would take Itoje, Kruis, J.Gray over him as well as maybe Launchbury, Hendo and R. Gray.

Experience at the end of the day. Having a lot of caps counts at this level. AWJ replaces POC from 2013 in this regard.

I think he's a guy who inspires people. As an actual player I don't think he excels next to most people, but I think if the times get hard he will step up more than any of the others mentioned.

I think he's a guy who inspires people. As an actual player I don't think he excels next to most people, but I think if the times get hard he will step up more than any of the others mentioned.

I don't go for that at all. Its intangible stuff thats not really convincing. I'd take Itoje's turnovers or J Grays everything over 'the stepping up' or the 'inspiration' tbh.

POC was a good carrier, good for a turnover and brilliant lineout operator. Jones isn't any of that.

It's his consistency too. He's not necessarily exceptional at anything but he's pretty damn solid at everything. He will put a clockwork 80 minutes in every match and isn't injury prone. Most international sides want someone like that around

Latest posts