Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul O'Connell

• AN Other

• Total voters
A

An Tarbh

So then who's it to be? O'Driscoll, O'Connell or AN Other.

It seems to be a straightforward decision between O'Driscoll and O'Connell but is there another option that McGeechan should consider.

Was shocked to read in the Guardian that Vickery was even being mentioned as a possibility, if there's an outside choice it's surely Jones, but like Vickery he's not guaranteed a test place, the other 2 are despite the claims to the contrary of Stephen Jones.

I'd go for O'Connell is only because he's right there in the middle of it, and more than happy to bark at the ref if and when its required.

it's interesting to hear people (generally pundits not posters here) give the reason why O'Driscoll shouldn't be captain, he should be left to concentrate on his own game, well fair enough but he's just captained a grand slam winning side while putting in his best 6N ever. Therefore there's no issue over his captaincy, there's been no issue over decisions that have been taken either.

So while we've also seen POC put in his best 6N ever he has done so while being free of the burden of being captain, now there's no doubt he contributes in terms of leadership and has been a natural leader of the team but if he was actually given the captaincy would his performances be on a par with what we saw in this Six Nations or would they have been had he captained Ireland this season???

So given that O'Driscoll has already answered that question, is it worth taking the risk on O'Connell?

True. I dont agree with the "let him focus on his game" arguement. He is clearly a better player when captain. I just like the idea of a captain in the forwards. They are always within 2 feet of the ref yapping and barking away. Harder for BOD to do that from outside.

Still, never stopped O'Connell fro talking.

I generally agree with the idea of forwards being captain but I just don't see the logic in reversing the Ireland dynamic for the Lions Tour. O'Connell will be mouthing off regardless of whether he's captain.

O'Driscoll, although in more than a few media outlets they were reporting that O'Connell was Ireland skipper.

Well then they must let O'Driscoll be the captain and O'Connell the forwards/vice-captain....

it also comes down to who McGeechan is comfortable working with, shouldn't be an issue over either player though on that front.

I didn't watch much of Scotland's matches in the 6N, did Jason White play and if he did, was he the captain?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Mar 24 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I didn't watch much of Scotland's matches in the 6N, did Jason White play and if he did, was he the captain?[/b]

didn't have a great tournament and Blair was captain but it's possible that both may not even tour at all.

action_poc1.gif

POC. Just because SA are going to try knock us around up front and hes the one guy id want leading me into that challenge.

just out of interest, do people think Ireland would have won the grand slam had O'Connell and not O'Driscoll been captain.

We know that captaincy brings the best out of O'Driscoll, this isn't guaranteed with O'Connell so why do people keep insisting on O'Connell?

Latest posts