Lions Captain

• Brian O'Driscoll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul O'Connell

• AN Other

• Total voters
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 25 2009, 05:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it's interesting to hear people (generally pundits not posters here) give the reason why O'Driscoll shouldn't be captain, he should be left to concentrate on his own game, well fair enough but he's just captained a grand slam winning side while putting in his best 6N ever. Therefore there's no issue over his captaincy, there's been no issue over decisions that have been taken either.

So while we've also seen POC put in his best 6N ever he has done so while being free of the burden of being captain, now there's no doubt he contributes in terms of leadership and has been a natural leader of the team but if he was actually given the captaincy would his performances be on a par with what we saw in this Six Nations or would they have been had he captained Ireland this season???

So given that O'Driscoll has already answered that question, is it worth taking the risk on O'Connell?[/b]
Logical.

Plus: do the Saffers want this insane bollix in charge of the Lions?

_45589551_bodindex.jpg

NO!

I always thought O'Driscoll's best tournament was his first, try in every game hat trick against the french...? pretty awsome impact.

but i guess every great player looks best in his first season...!!!

it sure will be interesting to see who is selected, and if the british rugby loving public is then happy with the result...???

well it was only 3 matches where he scored but the difference between this tournament and that one was that in 2000 he wasn't a marked man, sure people had seen potential from the previous season and he was being built up here as the next Brendan Mullins (certainly exceeded that and then some), whereas this season he delivered on all fronts and his defensive work throughout his career just seems to improve year after year, certainly the leadership he has shown is unparalleled with anything in his previous tournaments plus the try against the French was O'Driscoll of old

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 31 2009, 05:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
his defensive work throughout his career just seems to improve year after year,[/b]
nice one taurus, managed not quote a single statistic,

i would say that BOD is if anything an even more impressive in defense than attack, and he is the finest attacking center in the Northern hemisphere.

but the amount of turn over ball he wins, has been one of the reasons ireland have been so successful for so long.

my only criticism of BOD, is that it is reported that he is an arrogant prick of a guy and that is from Irish and Leinster players, let alone some of the things said about him by Welsh players.

Not really the kind of qualities you select if you want to form a winning squad within a few weeks.

His attitude may well be surpassed in Ireland where he has been a figurehead and a leader in Irish Rugby for the last 10 years, players look up to him, he leads by example and they follow and believe in him as a captain.

When you examine leadership on the field, a great rugby captain, and im sure one or two spring to mind, leads not only by example, but also by tactical nowse.

As Ryan Jones showed this year you can lead from the front but if you don't turn round and tell Steven Jones to stop kicking and Fxxcking run the ball a bit, you don't win Double Grandslams.

THat is the difference between good leaders and greats like John Dawes, Willie John McBride and Martin Johnson

The guy, i know wont be made captain, but i think shows the most likely ability to lead with the kind of intelligence needed to win this series is Alun Wyn Jones.

I think a lot of people don't rate Ryan Jones because you don't see a lot of what he goes. Powell and Williams do so much ball in hand stuff, most of the time I notice him (in a 6 shirt anyway) he's at the bottom of a ruck having tackled or been fighting for the ball on the ground...s'all I'm saying like.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my only criticism of BOD, is that it is reported that he is an arrogant prick of a guy and that is from Irish and Leinster players, let alone some of the things said about him by Welsh players.[/b]

Come on! I can make up stuff like that about every Welsh, English, Scottish player there is or has been. Rumour has it that I heard from that a little bird who was told by my ma's sisters great uncle .....
This captains role will be a press position. Someone to stand in front of the journo's and explain why we were just white washed. There are going to be so many leaders on tour, and on the pitch (as is always the case with the Lions) that the inspirational piece is not relevant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The guy, i know wont be made captain, but i think shows the most likely ability to lead with the kind of intelligence needed to win this series is Alun Wyn Jones.[/b]
What do you base that on exactly? Just wondering how you would put him above Ryan Jones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 31 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my only criticism of BOD, is that it is reported that he is an arrogant prick of a guy and that is from Irish and Leinster players, let alone some of the things said about him by Welsh players.[/b]

Come on! I can make up stuff like that about every Welsh, English, Scottish player there is or has been. Rumour has it that I heard from that a little bird who was told by my ma's sisters great uncle .....

I have read that in several biographies read plenty of interviews, listened to reports interviews and read articles by O'Driscoll.

What is your foundation for me "making this up" ? that sounds like slander more than point or foundation of a justified reasonable argument.

The guy, i know wont be made captain, but i think shows the most likely ability to lead with the kind of intelligence needed to win this series is Alun Wyn Jones.[/b]
What do you base that on exactly? Just wondering how you would put him above Ryan Jones.
[/b][/quote]

As i wrote in the article, AW Jones is the more intelligent candidate, the better tactician, the way he plays for the ospreys and wales, his interviews, his leadership when he captains the side.... for Wales he was deamed to young last year, but he will succeed ryan jones very soon

honestly if you are basing your opinion purely on Wales v Italy this year you can't have watched him anywhere near enough to comment

AW Jones is the most Johnson or McBride-like character as a candidate

As i said, i would be surprised if he was selected, but i think there is a definite case for him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have read that in several biographies read plenty of interviews, listened to reports interviews and read articles by O'Driscoll.
What is your foundation for me "making this up" ? that sounds like slander more than point or foundation of a justified reasonable argument.[/b]

I'm not saying he (O'Driscoll) is a lovely chap or anything. I'm just surprised, that given the season he had, what he did on the pitch, you believe AWJ, an untried, untested captain (who's one reference was a 5 point win over Italy) would be a better option to captain the Lions ................. THE LIONS FFS! All because some random joe with a keyboard or a shadow writer thinks O'Driscoll is an arsehole?

The same kind of writers that say Lee Byrne and Gavin Henson are complete an utter gobshites, but are contradicted by Tommy Bowe who thinks they are great lads. Its tabloid shite for god sake.

Anyhoo, you say AWJ is more intelligent and more tactical (which I find a little funny to be honest) yet you fail to mention if he's a nice guy? I thought it was more important to be popular no? Is he? WELL IS HE!

The guy, i know wont be made captain, but i think shows the most likely ability to lead
honestly if you are basing your opinion purely on Wales v Italy this year you can't have watched him anywhere near enough to comment
[/b]

I was simply asking a Welsh guy why he thought AWJ was better than Jones. I couldnt care less either way, I didnt have an opinion on it and didnt express an opinon on it. I was only asking. Relax.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 31 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is your foundation for me "making this up" ? that sounds like slander more than point or foundation of a justified reasonable argument.

[/b][/quote]

As i wrote in the article, AW Jones is the more intelligent candidate, the better tactician, the way he plays for the ospreys and wales, his interviews, his leadership when he captains the side.... for Wales he was deamed to young last year, but he will succeed ryan jones very soon

AW Jones is the most Johnson or McBride-like character as a candidate

As i said, i would be surprised if he was selected, but i think there is a definite case for him.

[/b][/quote]

in his interview with the BBC before the Welsh game he came across as completely clueless when asked who would be in charge at training.

Gimley is talking shite, pure and sweet.

What worries me with BOD as captain is the video evidence from the "massive fail" grand slam campaign of two years ago - BOD's pre-match/half-time talks were all - Listen lads, you f***ing shi** ars* bollo* cun* fu*ke*s, where's your **ckin* pride, you *unt w*nk knob go*bl*rs!

A bit gay. Leinster fuc**** schoolboy. I guess POC wasn't much better.

Huff and puff: no quiet, lethal confidence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 1 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gimley is talking shite, pure and sweet.

What worries me with BOD as captain is the video evidence from the "massive fail" grand slam campaign of two years ago - BOD's pre-match/half-time talks were all - Listen lads, you f***ing shi** ars* bollo* cun* fu*ke*s, where's your **ckin* pride, you *unt w*nk knob go*bl*rs!

A bit gay. Leinster fuc**** schoolboy. I guess POC wasn't much better.

Huff and puff: no quiet, lethal confidence.[/b]

not sure if we watched the same dvd then, O'Connell went absolutely apeshit before the French match and left it in the dressing room, O'Driscoll was much calmer before the England match, even during half time all I can recall him saying was, "we've been good but we can be great"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 1 2009, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

A bit gay.[/b]

Gimley is talking shite, pure and sweet...?

hey mate im throwing ideas out there valid suggestions

to your apparently according to yourself slightly gay and incredibly abusive irish front running candidates...!

if Paul OC and BOD were injured who do you thinks next in line...???

tabloid journalism, jesus mate give some credit won't you...!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
if Paul OC and BOD were injured who do you thinks next in line...???[/b]

Depends on the starting 15, but I'd say something like Ryan Jones (if playing) followed by Martyn Williams, Mike Blair etc. Imo Alun-Wyn would come after those. He's certainly got the skills to become a great captain someday, but can we just let that happen at the usual pace please?

Firstly he needs some experience leading the Ospreys, we'll see who Scott Johnson sees as the best to lead them when he arrives at the end of the season. If he's successful, he can start taking the same responsibilites for Wales. Then if he's still considered a good captain he'll get his shot on the next Lions tour, maybe............

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if Paul OC and BOD were injured who do you thinks next in line...???[/b]

Depends on the starting 15, but I'd say something like Ryan Jones (if playing) followed by Martyn Williams, Mike Blair etc. Imo Alun-Wyn would come after those. He's certainly got the skills to become a great captain someday, but can we just let that happen at the usual pace please?

Firstly he needs some experience leading the Ospreys, we'll see who Scott Johnson sees as the best to lead them when he arrives at the end of the season. If he's successful, he can start taking the same responsibilites for Wales. Then if he's still considered a good captain he'll get his shot on the next Lions tour, maybe............
[/b][/quote]

ill tell geechs when i get to the pub

Latest posts