• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Captaincy 2017

I can't see Gatland going past AWJ or Warburton for his choice of captain. With neither being a nailed on choice to start, its a bit of a problem for him.
After watching AWJ on Sat, I'd prefer Warburton. I also think he has more chance of starting. The competition amongst the locks is huge for a starting place.

How many locks are usually picked to tour (I'd guess 5) Out of Launch, Itoje, Kruis, AWJ, J Gray, R Gray, Henderson and Lawes,(any others?) there will be a few disappointments.

Last edited:
Warberton can't even nail the Welsh 7 shirt so should be no way near the lions captaincy.

I think pick Hartley or best as the tour captain and then pick a match day captain from the 15 that get selected.

That way you buy yourself some time.

Really Hartley? Yesterday he had to get Haskell to do his job for him!

How can Hartley be considered when he isn't even the best hooker in England ?

What sort of mentalness is this?

How can Hartley be considered when he isn't even the best hooker in England ?

So not the best hooker in his own team, not the best leader in his own team and the player with the worst disciplinary record in his own team. Let's make him Lions captain!

Make Jamie George the lions captain. That'll put the wind up a few people

Hartley should be nowhere near the plane after yesterday's fiasco let alone his form. There must be three or four other hookers ahead of him at the moment.

So a Tour captain would make more sense.

True but again it all commercial. Lets not forget this isnmore about money than the rugby.
On this what dates are we looking at squads being named etc. I'm only used to HEC dates being markers but it's all changed. Squad used to be named before semis

So not the best hooker in his own team, not the best leader in his own team and the player with the worst disciplinary record in his own team. Let's make him Lions captain!

Yeah it's not like he's captained a team from the ashes of *shudders* RWC 2015 to a record breaking phoenix or anything.

Yeah it's not like he's captained a team from the ashes of *shudders* RWC 2015 to a record breaking phoenix or anything.

Not slamming Hartley BUT that record is good but a bit over rated too. Also I don't think his captaincy was the reason for the rise in Englands fortunes

I was being a bit naughty, but I think he's played his part. Right place, right time.

And that record is just dandy thank you very much, although possibly on its last legs. We'll see.

My problem with Hartley is simply that I cannot see the value in having a captain that will play no more than 3/4 of the game. The same goes for Best or any other front rower.

I can't see past AWJ - He might not be the outstanding 2nd row right now but his form will improve (was improved on the weekend I thought), he will not let you down, is an experienced player and captain and has the physical presence and attitude to stand up to challenges the Lions will face both on and off the field.

My problem with Hartley is simply that I cannot see the value in having a captain that will play no more than 3/4 of the game. The same goes for Best or any other front rower.

I can't see past AWJ - He might not be the outstanding 2nd row right now but his form will improve (was improved on the weekend I thought), he will not let you down, is an experienced player and captain and has the physical presence and attitude to stand up to challenges the Lions will face both on and off the field.

I have no doubt he'll step up and perform on the pitch as he is without question a test match animal. I still think there are question marks over his leadership qualities. He doesn't seem to be as dynamic or vocal as say POC or Keith Wood. He seems to be more of a passive character.

Hartley won't be captain I feel as commercially he has too much baggage for sponsors to like. And again it's all about commercial as much as rugby. Like last few Warburton Paulie BOD are all nice guys. AWJ is too. Can't see a gut with history get it

Hartley won't be captain I feel as commercially he has too much baggage for sponsors to like. And again it's all about commercial as much as rugby. Like last few Warburton Paulie BOD are all nice guys. AWJ is too. Can't see a gut with history get it

Of course the other issue with Hartley is the PR hassle that comes with selecting a kiwi as captain - the media in NZ would have a lot of fun with that.

It'll be bad enough with Gatland at the helm.

Tad harsh to call Hartley a Kiwi just because he was born there,he has an English mother so entitled by any measure to call himself English.
I live in a town known as little Scotland due to influx of Scottish migrants due to a steel plant.
Many who have a Scottish parent are happy to be Scots others say they are English as both work,even if I have fun with term plastic jock.
Would you say Cliff Richard,Viven Leigh,Angus McGowan or Johanna Lumley are Indian just because they born there?
To the point non of the six nations captains are starters for me so Gatland needs to think out of box.
Doh he can't so it will be AWJ.

Latest posts