• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Looking Back at RWC 2011 and Looking Forward to 2015

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
Well it's been a year since the 2011 RWC. What are some of your memories of the tournament and what are you looking forward to in 2015?
For 2011, there are just too many to count since it was the first time I really embraced the sport (I had an interest in it before, but not to the extent that I have now), but I think what sticks out in my mind the most is the general hype surrounding the tournament. Flags on cars, bars and shops covered in bunting, being able to watch a team other than All Blacks at the cake tin, seeing the provincial grounds put to good use, etc.
I still find myself visiting this site daily to relive last year: http://www.rwc2011.irb.com/video/index.html (It's "glitchy' as hell though, been meaning to make a thread about it. I keep seeing random clips of pre-match interviews which aren't even featured on the actual videos. :huh: )
I think the bitter/sweet part is that the competition has out-grown New Zealand. Save for a co-host with Australia, I doubt we'll ever see the tournament in NZ again.

As for 2015, I'm interested to see how this competition will hold up against the Barclays Premier League particularly in places like Manchester and Newcastle.
In terms of the rugby itself, I'd like to see Italy finally make the quarter finals and Ireland the semis (only if O'Driscoll or O'Connell is around however.:lol: )

Looking forward to seeing the draw in December!

Last edited:
My best memory is definitely seeing all the flags on cars - it was just a fantastic festivally occasion, especially on the opening day/night.

I'd prefer Ireland to win it... and hopefully to go over and see it.

I remember watching the opening match from our holiday cottage in Scotland and ITV's refusal to show the opening ceremony (instead having studio guests blabbing throught it constantly). An early pub breakfast in Edinburgh to watch Scotland - Georgia. Tonga beating France and Canada beating Tonga. USA's try against Ireland. The final moments of the semi between Wales and France with some desperate attempts by Wales to make it to the final, Shane's try in the 3rd / 4th place match and watching the final in a pub back home, hoping France to win. The excitement when the players walked up during the Haka and the unfortunate end of the match when McCaw was offside (again) without being penalized.

For 2015, I'm looking forward to visiting Liverpool to enjoy the city and a rugby match at Anfield Road.

Last edited:
the only memorys, other than the final, I have are having my venue pack for chch taken off me and having to watch games on TV :(

My best memory is definitely seeing all the flags on cars - it was just a fantastic festivally occasion, especially on the opening day/night.
This.

Auckland was amazing during that time. I remember wherever you went, it was RWC fever. The atmosphere was just awesome. I'd love to go to another country's RWC and see what it's like.

The only downside for me, was that there were always some bitter/resentful soccer and League fans that tried to play it down.

I'd like to see Samoa, Argentina, and Georgia to have good showings and maybe an upset or two (though hopefully not to our expense).

I can't beleive it's nearly been a year since Canada vs. Tonga what an epic game it was, shame to see so many Canadian players retire after the cup but that always happens at the end of a cycle with our lack of a pro setup.

Best memory: Staying up till 3 in the morning to watch the opening match (Started at 1:30 in my timezone). Had some friends over, made lamb and roast veggies, drank lots of beer. Kind of surprised I actually remember it.

This.

Auckland was amazing during that time. I remember wherever you went, it was RWC fever. The atmosphere was just awesome. I'd love to go to another country's RWC and see what it's like.

The only downside for me, was that there were always some bitter/resentful soccer and League fans that tried to play it down.

I'd like to see Samoa, Argentina, and Georgia to have good showings and maybe an upset or two (though hopefully not to our expense).

There are soccer/league fans IN New Zealand?

Can't believe it's been a year, really miss it it was brilliant being able to finish school and watch a game. Most memorable thing for me was heading over to my mates after rugby every saturday afternoon sitting down and watching a game with all my mates.

There are soccer/league fans IN New Zealand?
lol yeah man.

The Soccer fans are usually the wannabees that follow the EPL.

And even though the Warriors have been a joke, most of our League fans are in Auckland. Which is probably why Aussie teams are always poaching whenever they come here to play the Warriors. :lol:

This is the best moment of RWC 2011... Remember?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts