• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luke Fitzgerald on Nigel Owens

Does trump know the meaning of the words vernacular and syntax? Could he even spell them? Surely it should just be "The bigly best guide to English"

I don't know the meaning ... :( ... guide me please.

Does trump know the meaning of the words vernacular and syntax? Could he even spell them? Surely it should just be "The bigly best guide to English"

Very obviously, considering that he has a degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. That's the business school of the University of Pennsylvania, a private Ivy League university. I am sure that is much more than you can say.

Luke Fitzgerald who was forced to retire at the age of 27.

For which we are truly grateful, and you should be too or you'd never have beaten the All Blacks. :p

I agree in part, but I would not be so harsh on Jerome Garces. I would have him every day for an AB's game over the other French ref, Romain Poite.

Point taken, but it's a very small mercy, Poite is enough for me not to tune in to a game. He's appalling.

Last edited:
Very obviously, considering that he has a degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. That's the business school of the University of Pennsylvania, a private Ivy League university. I am sure that is much more than you can say.

Masters in engineering from a Russel group Uni that I didn't buy my way into... Trump has clearly shown he didn't get onto the degree course on merit. Also yeah, despite it being a joke he most likely doesn't know the words because he has also shown to have one of the worst vocabularies of any of the candidates, ranking at about school level.

Masters in engineering from a Russel group Uni that I didn't buy my way into... Trump has clearly shown he didn't get onto the degree course on merit. Also yeah, despite it being a joke he most likely doesn't know the words because he has also shown to have one of the worst vocabularies of any of the candidates, ranking at about school level.

Since we're about 200 miles off topic already, I might as well ask what type of engineering you do?

"Luke Fitzgerald what a nothing" says internet troublemaker, phenomenon and self proclaimed pursuer of 'the everything', The Jones Boy on 141 domestic, 34 Irish and 1 Lions cap Luke Fitzgerald who was forced to retire at the age of 27.

A slam, three HEC's and three pro 12s in there too! That's a major trophy every 25 games... Nothing!

Having read it and reading Luke on regular basis. I don't agree here and haven't at times in past like he called for Stander to be dropped in 6 Nations with very poor reasoning despite every other media saying Stander was our best form backrower. But he usually is ok but lets remember all these like independent.ie etc want you to write gibberish as its all about clicks etc. Not saying Luke always writes gibberish it goes for every columnist. ROG is same

What Fitzgerald said is pretty fair, if a ref told me that what I did "was pretty poor" after throwing a forward pass I'd want to tell him to **** off, if a ref felt the need to walk thirty metres, call over my captain and tell me I should play soccer after a pretty innocuous incident I'd want to tell him to focus on refereeing the game. It started out with him "putting down" players who chat back to him which is fine, going out of his way to have a go at players who say nothing to him and accept the infringement like the Cian Healy incident is too much in my opinion. "There's no place for it in the game" is hyperbolic but what he says prior to that statement is fine and the incidents he cites were absolutely needless and not at all funny either.

What Fitzgerald said is pretty fair, if a ref told me that what I did "was pretty poor" after throwing a forward pass I'd want to tell him to **** off, if a ref felt the need to walk thirty metres, call over my captain and tell me I should play soccer after a pretty innocuous incident I'd want to tell him to focus on refereeing the game. It started out with him "putting down" players who chat back to him which is fine, going out of his way to have a go at players who say nothing to him and accept the infringement like the Cian Healy incident is too much in my opinion. "There's no place for it in the game" is hyperbolic but what he actually says and the incidents he cites were absolutely needless and not at all funny either.

To be fair on Hogg ... he did dive ... he even admitted to it!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The game is about the players not the ref. I didn't say a witty thing or a put down. I just explained why advantage was over. Nothing more <a href="https://t.co/NtwxjIXNyz">https://t.co/NtwxjIXNyz</a></p>&mdash; Nigel Owens MBE (@Nigelrefowens) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nigelrefowens/status/851536441599512577">April 10, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

To be fair on Hogg ... he did dive ... he even admitted to it!

From my interpretation of the rules that is 'unfair play' under 10.2(d) and the sanction is a Penalty to the opposition and not a "witty" put down from the ref, so here it certainly did get in the way of the referee
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="851536441599512577" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"It's poor play by you there on the pass. Under no pressure there."

Hmmm... We can all lie!

I don't think there is much point discussing this, very little of what has been said on this thread is wrong apart from claims that Nige is the world's best and Fitz is a nothing, its peoples' opinions. From my opinion, which is that of a player who is horrifically grumpy on the pitch, I want the referee to ref the game, don't talk to me and I won't talk to him unless I think he's missing something in which case I'll talk to him with my captain. If I am out of line say whatever you want to me, if not give me the respect I have earned through respecting the ref's authority. That's not to say there's no place for jokes just not a player's, who has done nothing wrong and said nothing to you, expense, the ball boy incident is fine for example!

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" ***le="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Even I can see you have spelt Russell wrong.

The amount of arse licking Nigel is getting from that tweet is amazing.

I mean I'm sure he is a great guy, but he is soooo overrated as a ref currently.

Last edited:
Even I can see you have spelt Russell wrong.

The amount of arse licking Nigel is getting from that tweet is amazing.

I mean I'm sure he is a great guy, but he is soooo overrated as a ref currently.

I like him as a ref. My biggest bug is more. Nigel is a big player now in the circuit for after dinner talking etc.
It is a case he's a celebrity and needs to stay in light a bit too. It's more a conflict of interests in that he's on a circuit where you need to try stay relevant but uses a role too where main role is to be anonymous

From my interpretation of the rules that is 'unfair play' under 10.2(d) and the sanction is a Penalty to the opposition and not a "witty" put down from the ref, so here it certainly did get in the way of the referee

"It's poor play by you there on the pass. Under no pressure there."

Hmmm... We can all lie!

I don't think there is much point discussing this, very little of what has been said on this thread is wrong apart from claims that Nige is the world's best and Fitz is a nothing, its peoples' opinions. From my opinion, which is that of a player who is horrifically grumpy on the pitch, I want the referee to ref the game, don't talk to me and I won't talk to him unless I think he's missing something in which case I'll talk to him with my captain. If I am out of line say whatever you want to me, if not give me the respect I have earned through respecting the ref's authority. That's not to say there's no place for jokes just not a player's, who has done nothing wrong and said nothing to you, expense, the ball boy incident is fine for example!

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" ***le="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

f9583747d11b633d716b16f67f7a0d82_so-this-is-the-moral-high-moral-high-ground-meme_308-306.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

I like him as a ref. My biggest bug is more. Nigel is a big player now in the circuit for after dinner talking etc.
It is a case he's a celebrity and needs to stay in light a bit too. It's more a conflict of interests in that he's on a circuit where you need to try stay relevant but uses a role too where main role is to be anonymous

Said it earlier, he has always done the after dinner speaking etc. This is not new.

Latest posts