• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Madden Review (next gen)

There are some seriously messed up bugs in this game. People have posted heaps of them on youtube. Heres a link to a particularly bad one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWgMNXGkz7w

Not looking good, Ive seen several different videos of game breaking bugs like this. Unbelievable!

i havent come across any in the demo

THAT'S RIGHT CEEJAY

MP NOW

GO!!!!!!!

BEST MADDEN I HAVE EVER PLAYED

THE GAMEPLAY IS AWESOME

No more controlling a bus........u have more control over players which generate more simultaneous options on the run.

Its more like ESPN2k5.....and its great!!!

As for bugs....well its a demo, so i would barely come across many, if any....so i cant comment on that!!

There are some seriously messed up bugs in this game. People have posted heaps of them on youtube. Heres a link to a particularly bad one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWgMNXGkz7w

Not looking good, Ive seen several different videos of game breaking bugs like this. Unbelievable! [/b]

was he meant to hand off or something??

coz i have no sound, and it looks like a bad QB wabble or waddle whatever they call it.

edit - ok saw it then..thats nuts.............they better patch this crap, with MP update.

he was quick!!!

Well, if the gameplays as good as you say, then I might still get it (its coming out friday here) and give it a go, theses bugs are bad, but im not sure how frequent they are. THe only regular game killiing bug is the Brett Farve moonwalk, but it only happens to farve so unless your going to use the packers, its still playable.

Yeah, there is alot of super human speed issues like the one you saw. Also ball detection issues ie it gets stuck inside players bodies, and super human dive tackles like rugby 2001, guys fly and catch you from behind.

Even if they patch it, which I doubt, I dont have online, so I cant update can I?

i cant comment on the bugs

but from gameplay alone on demo.......its the best madden i have ever played
all madden had a feeling u were controlling a bus, and u were limited for what u can do on the run.

not anymore

its almost exactly the same movement control as ESPN2k5

and the speed of the game is better.......its slow'd down compared to previous and u can read and react alot easier........this may have something to do with 60frames per sec..........

and as usual........its pretty.......deadset the best graphically looking game on the x360.

better than anything i have seen with perhaps the exception of the call of duty 4 videos

from my limited time with demo - played about 12 matches so far, i think the reviews are spot on.

Even if they patch it, which I doubt, I dont have online, so I cant update can I? [/b]

if u have a mate nearby that has xbox live.............take ur hard drive over and get ur mate to download anything onto your hard drive.

from demo's to updates dude......

Well, these bugs are in the final version, so they must be in the demo, and if you havent seen any then I guess they are thankfully rare, and thats good. What do you think about the fumbles and interceptions?

Also, what do you think about the running/sprinting animation? Last year on 360 they had lots of realistic running styles, like Tiki Barber how carried the ball tight to his body (like rugby players) This madden looks like its gone back to the last gen weird cartoon running style where the ball is glued to their hand, and its the same for everybody. Is this the case?

Sadly I dont know anyone in my town who has a 360, or broadband for that matter. It sux. PCs have magazines that release patches and updates for offline people, I wish Microsoft would do the same. By the time I can afford broadband, Ill have to start saving for the xbox 720.

Well, these bugs are in the final version, so they must be in the demo, and if you havent seen any then I guess they are thankfully rare, and thats good. What do you think about the fumbles and interceptions?

Also, what do you think about the running/sprinting animation? Last year on 360 they had lots of realistic running styles, like Tiki Barber how carried the ball tight to his body (like rugby players) This madden looks like its gone back to the last gen weird cartoon running style where the ball is glued to their hand, and its the same for everybody. Is this the case?

Sadly I dont know anyone in my town who has a 360, or broadband for that matter. It sux. PCs have magazines that release patches and updates for offline people, I wish Microsoft would do the same. By the time I can afford broadband, Ill have to start saving for the xbox 720. [/b]

yes fumbles could be an issue - i have seen more than i'd hope for in 2 min qtr demo!!!

cant say on running anims as all i have is colts v bears demo - but it does feel like they run the same

the weapons is a mad feature, and they have this pop menu display for pre-snap audibles - its bloody brillaint u dont have to memorise the buttons from madden 101 for pre-snap changes - its all in front of you in the pop up display.

its defo worth a buy mate.......next gen and all, its brilliant

but with these bugs i cant confirm if its better than the current gen, but its much much better than previous maddens on x360...and the reviews are spot on

I hired out current madden 08 last weekend, as I was thinking of getting it instead of the 360 version. It is utter garbage. Ill give the 360 version a go and if it sucks Ill stick with 2K5. Have you used the coverball/protectball button? apparently it works. Had any luck throwing laterals?

Thanks for the info mate.

Well now I am seeing a pattern with the fumbles then

As u have defensive weapons like ball stripping

And the option to coverball should be used when this defensive player gets near u for a tackle â€" thus negating his weapon

I think I like that idea as it puts more onus on the user to read and react the current situation â€" as any weapons a player has is highlighted underneath the players feet during play, so u can see throughout the plays â€" where the weapons on the field are…even during the plays motion, not only pre-snap…….the weapons are a radical change to madden traditional appearance on the screen…like stars in rugby….u know who has the weapons, u know what the weapon is….adjust ur play accordingly

For eg, u wont throw into coverage where there are players with intercepting or nock down weapons

And u shouldn’t run willy nilly duking, stiff arming, spinning etc if there is a ball stipping line-backer breathing down ur neck….instead u should be coverballing, to protect the opposing weapon about to handed down by thee Man Machine Urlacher!!!!!!

I know for a fact, in the loading screen there are hints and stuff……..i saw one of them saying if u use stiff arm weapon you expose the risk of fumbling.

I haven’t even thought about laterals dude…………..

As madden has a plethora of button combos to do different things, without the manul my knowledge is limited to the on help screen button configs, and I am sure it doesn’t cover everything.

The weapons are a great addition to the game.

Creates more variables for a play, and puts onus on the player to read and react.

If u have 2 linemen on the left with blocking weapons, don’t run right.

Its simple yet effective, and in 2 player I can see people playing poker. (mind games and bluffs)

As more often than not, u should run behind ur linemen with blocking weapons, which would create a pattern for the opposing player to assume u will run behind those men…thus the defender will take control of a tackler or weapon and put him in front of these linemen to counter their blocking prowess…….yet everynow and again you would call a bluff and run the otherside that is weaponless.

It all about read and react, and I farkin luurrrve it!!!!!!

I agree with you about the weapons. It forces you to think about what your doing, and most importantily think ahead. No more doing the same 2 plays over for the whole game. You will have to play each team differently, and thats what ive always wanted. The only downside, is that in order to make this happen, theyve had to make weapons a bit over the top, but like you said, dont throw toward CB weapons, dont run at ball stipping waepons, and cover the ball etc. It uses these extremes to force you to play smart football by the sounds of it, and now im looking forward to it. Thanks for shearing th info!

Any thoughts on gang tackling, hit stick 2.0, mid air collisions, truck and highlight stick?

Have a read of this thread at ign for some tips on the running game. This guy knows his stuff. An interesting read.

http://boards.ign.com/madden_nfl/b5973/149183256/p1/?33

I nearly started another thread

I have finally glossed over the pretty looks and got down with the nitty gritty that is gameplay.

Forget the speculation â€" MADDEN IS BACK!!!!!!

I played about 10 matches of the demo AGAIN……I cant put it down

“USER PICK†â€" 90yd TD return……………NOW I have been to the holy land that is ruled by st john madden. The testimony states that in john 3:16 lord Madden resurrects in 2008AD and the light will shine upon thee that worship our saviour in john madden!!!!

Then what happens next 1 min later in the same match??

MY GOD JUST WHEN U SEEN IT ALL………105 yd return for TD from 2nd half kick-off. Hester beat 3 tackles from jukes and spins.

This is by far the most playable and enjoyable Madden I have ever played.

I make a mistake, and I know why and I pay for it.

I make a big play, because I know why and I get paid!!!!!!!

There is no auto AI element……every play feels different â€" even if u play it twice in a row, the defense will line up different and from there, u have to go about that play different.

USER PICKS, TACKLES, CATCHES, KNOCK DOWNS, ITS ALL THERE.

Finally I have beaten the madden curse of the last 4-5 years, where AI rules a lot of play…..its the speed of game that has done this or the frame rate…u now have time to change player of receiver of corner/safety……..and then make that USER play of tackling, catching etc……in previous maddens I had trouble picking up the change player due the over speed of the play…….was too quick and the AI ruled a lot…also with the ole bus like controls…….with this gone, u can over run a pass, and still make it, or overrun a play turn and still make a tackle.

Hit stick works well, and u get punished if u miss like always.

Gang tackling is beautiful, and awesome…makes for variety of animation, and u can really deck some dudes.

BUT then this.

CPU on the drive, makes a pass, and is complete……..yet I see the ball pop out, and then it a flurry………everyones in a fit â€" FUMBLE!!!!!! I recover

I’m like oh fark, ok……..i have seen my fair share of fumbles………..THIS WAS NOT A FUMBLE…….I am on a tirade at the TV blowing up at how EA can f*** up such an thing, where the man was down, by atleast a second, both knees and all, and it’s a FUMBLE??

WTF is going on here??

Replay confirms all this………….no way that’s a fumble, both knees on the deck numbers on ground, it the worst call in history!!!!

So I have the ball, and am picking my next attacking play, and huddle out to the line.

“THE BOOTH IS GOING TO LOOK AT THE FUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!â€

REPLAYS
REPLAYS
REPLAYS

“AFTER REVIEWING THE PLAY, THE RULING ON THE FIELD IS OVERTURNED!!!!â€

THAT IS WHEN I BLEW MY LOAD!!!!!!!!

This is the real deal………..Madden 2008 is an NFL masterpiece on the FIELD!!!!

It’s a demo I am playing so I cant comment on anything else other than limited gameplay, and even though its limited…..i don’t have access to manual, and hints, tricks, tips, the intricacies etc……….but I can say with my limited controls and knowledge, its already a mile ahead of other Maddens.

I haven’t had this much fun since 2003.

Thanks for the info dude. Now im starting to get excited about this game! I hope it will come out on friday!

Damn it. NZ is always the last in line. Let me know what you think of the full version when you get it!

<div class='quotemain'> its out here today

woot woot

time to relocate and scout!!!!

[/b]

Is that for PS3 in AUS?

I'm getting sick of hearing it's delayed until 27th Sept :(

[/b][/quote]

no its for X360 :cheers:

i hear the same thing for ps3 unfortunately.

Did you get it AK? Im worried that 360 will be delayed aswell. Remember PS3 version got delayed until 31st of August, but they said not the 360 version, then suddenly it was delayed aswell. Ive got a bad feeling.

PS3 is delayed until 10th of october in NZ. Im hoping its due to the PS3 version not being region coded, so they did not get enough ready for Europe and australasia. But on the 360 they created a specific number for PAL based on last years sales and so we get it sooner. Who knows. I never thought Id be thankful for region coding.

Did you get it AK? Im worried that 360 will be delayed aswell. Remember PS3 version got delayed until 31st of August, but they said not the 360 version, then suddenly it was delayed aswell. Ive got a bad feeling.

PS3 is delayed until 10th of october in NZ. Im hoping its due to the PS3 version not being region coded, so they did not get enough ready for Europe and australasia. But on the 360 they created a specific number for PAL based on last years sales and so we get it sooner. Who knows. I never thought Id be thankful for region coding.

[/b]

i played until 2:30am dude its out in australia - order it here if it delayed in NZ

gameplay is exactly how i explained - its deadset best madden ever

franchise is questionable - u can relocate, but the overall interface sucks balls and u will defo

more difficulty than ever ascertaining what positions u require to draft in…this really ****** me off, unless I haven’t seen the light yet, u will be ducking between 6 screens to find which position u need, and which player is suitable in the draft/scout.

Front office â€" cop out………….its a READ ONLY screen…….the point EA make about managing finances is total utter EA nonsense â€" like creative scoring in rugby………..u get to see the expenses v income, u have no say in any of it, expect for maybe a sponsorship deal, and ur teams salary…u were right and the reviews etc have mislead this brand new owner mode……………relocating is about it…..other than that, it the same or maybe a little too tiresome with drafting, off-season etc, thus even worse overall.

There is no email thingy from disgruntled players â€" shocking, I used this to ascertain if I had good depth in positions.

Superstar mode is better and worse â€" its better as the gameplay overall is better, which means, u enjoy superstar mode a lot more, and the camera angles and speed have been improved and more user friendly…………….BUT……..i cannot find where I can put myself into Kick Return, Punt Return special teams for extra game time, so it looks like u cop what the coach does or wants.

As I have only briefly touched on the modes of this game, I may need a learning curve for the changes in 2008 with regarding to menu navigation, so hopefully it comes good later, but at first ur like…where the f*** can I do that, it still better be there.

But as far as gameplay goes, this puppy rules the roost

Thanks for the info. Ill definately order it from oz if it dosent arrive this friday.

Franchise sounds dissappointing, I always end up starting a new one each year just bcoz the off season is so annoying and boring. This year sounds like an all time low.

If you are doing a franchise then you should know that when training certain weapons for players, that some of them dont work, and the progression will reset after one week. Would hate to see you wasting valuable points on nothing!

Heres a list of what works and what dosent so far, put together by someone on the IGN boards. Obviously, the one with no written beside them are no-goes.

Weapon Type - WR
Hands - Yes
Possession Receiver - No
Quick Receiver - No
Spectacular Catch Receiver - No
Speed - Yes
Stiff Arm Ball Carrier - Yes

Hint: With the Coverage Challenge, make Out & Ins. Run about 5 yards up field and make a quick move out then in. You should be at an angle running up field with an advantage. Call for ball. The QB will OVER THROW you bad and on purpose. Dont panic. Just hold the TURBO and run toward the circle. DO NOT PRESS Y (360 Catch). Just run toward the circle and the WR will catch it himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weapon Type - LB
Big Hitter - No
Brick Wall Defender - Yes
Hands - Yes
Smart LineBacker - Yes
Speed - Yes

Hint: There's a gap (right in front on the inside of the FB) between the pillars you can hit once the RB takes off. Hit it correctly and PRESS X (360 Dive) to tackle. Trying to Hit-Stick will result in a TD if your defender doesnt have a great amount of Tackle or Hit Power.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weapon Type - OL
Crushing Run Blocker - Yes
Pass Blocker - Yes

Hint: - Get as squared up as possible to lay a good pancake on the defender. Hitting the D-Lineman, while running along side him, might result in a wiff-block. Hit him in the chest. To rack up the most points, take out more than one defender in each possesion.

Weapon Type - DB
Big Hitter - No
Hands - Yes
Smart Safety - Yes
Speed - Yes

Hint: - When doing the Bench Press drill for Brick Wall Defender, it's only necessary to get 30 reps and a Rack (Y-Button, 360) of the weight to receive 7 points.

Weapon Type - DL
Big Hitter - No
Finesse Move D-Lineman - Yes
Power Move D-Lineman - Yes

Hint: - On the Lineman Challenge, the #1 thing to avoid is to not get pancaked by the O-Lineman in the drill. Doing so will give the Cpu 2000 points toward the total every time you or one of the D-Lineman gets pancaked. According to what side the RB is running toward, try to switch to the opposite D-Lineman, avoid the pancake, and assist on the tackle (for the loss of yards).

Weapon Type - RB
Elusive Back - Yes
Power Back - Yes
Hands - Yes
Pass Blocker - Yes
Possession Receiver - No
Speed - Yes
Stiff Arm Ball Carrier - Yes

Hint: With the Running Back Challenge drill, dont just try to score TDs. You get a boo-koo amount of points when you deliver a stiff-arm, juke, or highlight stick move to the defenders. Yes, try to get in the endzone, but, if you get into a 1-on-1, get the max points out of the possession by using move.

Weapon Type - DB
Shutdown Corner - Yes (EDIT)
Big Hitter - No
Hands - Yes
Smart Safety - Yes
Speed - Yes

One new addition I have read in the manual â€" havent seen it in game yet is the GEMS and BUST feature

For draft picks/rookies progressing thru their career, at a certain point, they will be labelled GEMS or BUSTS.

A GEM is a star in the making, living up to the hype, going to do big things â€" ISRAEL FOLAU
A BUST was a star in the making, flopped into a big nothing, all the hype was crap â€" JARROD MULLEN

This will be good for wondering how ur draft picks are progressing, and a good time to cut or re-sign them based on this evaluation

I'll keep trying with the mini games without that help for the mo..........i know i failed miserably and that help will make a difference - there are these new mini games i have never come across, and its a full on learning curve.

Oh yes inceptions slider is there - no fumble

the sliders overall have been simplified - why i have no idea, perhaps it EA

Hey AK, quick question; Can you turn that vision cone thingy off? I hate it. Last year it was off by default, but I would bump the right analog and turn it on by acciddent, and then there was no way to turn it off until the end of the game.

Latest posts