TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_56840942_2407133.jpg

Manchester City's Etihad Stadium is set to host rugby league's Magic Weekend in 2012, BBC Radio Manchester understands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/15819616.stm

Well its no longer a magic weekend... the whole idea behind The Magic weekend was to bring league to a different audience... sounds a bit like a cop out...

They're going to get better crowds there but.....I dunno, I think I'd just prefer the first round to be a standard first round now.
I wasn't a massive fan of the last magic weekend, and half the teams lost one of their home games for it

Disappointed for Cardiff but I reckon in Manchester there should be better crowds.

On one hand its bugger as I really enjoyed it last year. However my brother is at Uni in Salford so I might be able to still go.

Just reading that article, they mention it hasn't done as well as they had hoped it would of done...

When it attracted the following attendances:

Cardiff 2007 - 58,831
Cardiff 2008 - 63,000 +
Edinburgh 2009 - 59,749
Edinburgh 2010 - 52,043
Cardiff 2011 - 60,214

The maximum they are going to reach in Manchester is 47,800, it doesn't leave much room to make money...

Just seems ridiculous to go to a Stadium which has a lesser capacity

Well its no longer a magic weekend... the whole idea behind The Magic weekend was to bring league to a different audience... sounds a bit like a cop out...

Did it really bring rugby league to a new audience though? It seems to me like most of the visitors in any weekend were from traditional rugby league areas with few locals turning up. All that does is make your loyal fans pay more.

Just reading that article, they mention it hasn't done as well as they had hoped it would of done...

When it attracted the following attendances:

Cardiff 2007 - 58,831
Cardiff 2008 - 63,000 +
Edinburgh 2009 - 59,749
Edinburgh 2010 - 52,043
Cardiff 2011 - 60,214

The maximum they are going to reach in Manchester is 47,800, it doesn't leave much room to make money...

Just seems ridiculous to go to a Stadium which has a lesser capacity

Those are aggregate crowds though, over the two days. City of Manchester could get 95,600 over the two days which would make it a far, far more successful tournament (from a revenue perspective) than any of the previous ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it really bring rugby league to a new audience though? It seems to me like most of the visitors in any weekend were from traditional rugby league areas with few locals turning up. All that does is make your loyal fans pay more.

Those are aggregate crowds though, over the two days. City of Manchester could get 95,600 over the two days which would make it a far, far more successful tournament (from a revenue perspective) than any of the previous ones.

So ... the MM could hold 149,000 over the weekend. Point being?

It didn't sell out, and almost definitely wouldn't this season either
They're likely to get bigger crowds through in Manchester than in Cardiff - probably won't sell out there though. They'll make more money in Manchester, despite the smaller stands, than in the Millenium

But your initial logic was not correct.

I don't understand you; I probably did not word it correctly. My initial point was just to remind the quoted poster that it was a two day event and that the capacity of CoM would not prevent it from being a more successful weekend.